Two weeks in Tokyo

Yeah, think the day trip to Fiji is a bit out of reach ;)

But seriously, I love the look of those lakes around Fuji. Kawaguchi is probably the one we'll try to get to, but that will depend on how easy it is to get to from Tokyo. Haven't checked the transport links yet. Pretty sure we'll try to go to one of them, though.

We did it from Osaka (if I remember correctly), 2 trains + a 10 month old, luggage, buggy etc. Trust me, you can do it :D

Last edited:
Ah, if there's a train station, it shouldn't be too difficult.

We went to Japan with an 18 month old with buggy 16 years ago. Our toddler was treated llke a little blonde-haired celebrity. :)
Same here! Exactly experience and some perfectly timed photos helped. My wife and little one got a lot of attention, both blue eyes and blonde hair:

AKGpihavUDZh7vxFQa6Pd2xmwc-5EyBQyXqZfUiBJZpH_Za-GJ7dki-jpPv7UFkDqsiyKwd7PDvk17YLBJfzETam0O7FuUzga7byga0=s1600-v0

Our oldest actually took his first steps in in the Imperial Palace Gardens...good memories looking at these photos and making me smile :)

Last edited:
Same here! Exactly experience and some perfectly timed photos helped. My wife and little one got a lot of attention, both blue eyes and blonde hair:

AKGpihavUDZh7vxFQa6Pd2xmwc-5EyBQyXqZfUiBJZpH_Za-GJ7dki-jpPv7UFkDqsiyKwd7PDvk17YLBJfzETam0O7FuUzga7byga0=s1600-v0

Our oldest actually took his first steps in in the Imperial Palace Gardens...good memories looking at these photos and making me smile :)

Ha - awesome!

Followed around by endless exclamations of "kawaiiii!" no doubt! :)

Updating to say thanks for the advice to those who helped here. It was a brilliant two weeks.

In the end we got back in touch with some friends who were in Tokyo and they took us around for a few days. That combined with some of the suggestions in this thread made for an amazing trip.

We ended up doing:
Sensouji and the surrounding area (we were staying just south of Asakusa), inlcuding the Hokusai museum and the Asakusa underground street
Meiji Jingu shrine
Ueno Park and zoo
Ghibli museum (this was small, but cool if you're a fan of the films and really gave a sense of the creative process Miyazaki goes through)
Odaiba and temlabs
The National Museum
Edo Open Air Museum
Omoide Yokocho
Nakano
Sawara
Awa-odori festival in Shimokitazawa (really cool and interesting to see)
Shibuya Sky
Ikebukuro
Kabuchiko (in the daytime, one of my kids wanted to see if because of the Yakuza game connections)

And a few smaller museums, karaoke, a batting centre, some arcades, huge mange/anime stores, wondeful little restaurants.

We lost a day to the typhoon, which was when were thinking of taking a trip out of the city maybe, but in retrospect a day of shelteting in air con and getting a break from the intense heat and humidity was probably not a bad thing. The day after was 36C and very humid, which really sapped our stamina after a couple of hours.

Kids loved it. Everywhere and everyone was totally wonderful. I loved being able to dust off my Japanese and put it to some good use. We all want to go back.

Sounds like you had an amazing time , glad to hear it!

Japan is my ultimate bucket list country. I need to get there, i've always been fascinated by it

Sounds like you had an amazing time , glad to hear it!

Japan is my ultimate bucket list country. I need to get there, i've always been fascinated by it

Yes, I highly recommended a visit!

Oh, your username reminds me - we also went to the Samurai and Ninja Museum. I thought it was going to be a bit rubbish at first. Obviously very touristy and a bit small and I'm not sure I'd really recommend it to anyone, but it ended up being fairly good fun and our youngest won the shuriken throwing contest at the end, which was a bonus :)

Yes, I highly recommended a visit!

Oh, your username reminds me - we also went to the Samurai and Ninja Museum. I thought it was going to be a bit rubbish at first. Obviously very touristy and a bit small and I'm not sure I'd really recommend it to anyone, but it ended up being fairly good fun and our youngest won the shuriken throwing contest at the end, which was a bonus :)
Adding that to my list for when i go! :D

I’ve booked a cruise for next year! Can’t wait!

14 nights. I’m going to spend a month there I think, I’m wanting to summit Fuji, I reckon I could do it in a day but will be with family so will do it over a couple of days. I’ve done a few >5000m so looking forward to that. :D

I’ve booked a cruise for next year! Can’t wait!

14 nights. I’m going to spend a month there I think, I’m wanting to summit Fuji, I reckon I could do it in a day but will be with family so will do it over a couple of days. I’ve done a few >5000m so looking forward to that. :D

This girl did it in a day, jet lagged, 3hr sleep, holding a selfie stick the whole time and twitch streamed the entire thing from start the finish.

Although she walks a lot, it’s her thing being a IRL streamer.

Back
Top Bottom