Typing + mousing delay

Associate
here's an oddball.

I get a delay when typing text, sometimes can be 3 seconds. I type the words, then i have to wait for them to appear. Same with the mouse cursor. Can be a 3 second delay.

XP pro SP3 all up to date. Decent AV ( kaspersky ) and spyware ( SAS )

A bag of virtual doughnuts to the bright spark who can figure this one

Associate
Step 1Select the "Start" menu and click on "Control Panel."
Step 2Click on "Printers and Other Hardware" and "Keyboard." If you don't see "Printers and Other Hardware", you probably have your Control Panel in "Classic View." If this is the case, simply click on the "Keyboard" icon.
Step 3Look at the "Repeat Delay" option. "Repeat Delay" designates the amount of time that separates the first repeated letter from the rest. For example, if you type the letter "A" repeatedly, the amount of time between each "A" is affected. Slide the bar closer to "Short" to increase your keyboard's speed.
Step 4Find the "Repeat Rate" option. Increasing the "Repeat Rate" causes the letters to appear faster when holding down one key. Whereas "Repeat Delay" affected the amount of time between the letters, "Repeat Rate" affects the amount of time between the appearance of each "A" on the screen. Slide the bar closer to "Fast" to increase the rate of repeating letters.
Step 5Change your "Cursor Blink Rate" to "Fast" if you want to see your cursor blink quickly.

Associate
OP
Its done nothing shakey - the delays are still there, and now i'm counting, its more like 5 seconds. Even trying to click on the scroll bar at far right, i can move the cursor down wards, but the scroll bar doesnt move for 5 seconds.

Bizarre and annoying. I can get maybe a few words typed, then the curser freezes for a bit, then the words appear.

Associate
OP
Annoying problem sorted

By sheer luck - i checked in control panel > system > hardware > devices. Lo and behold, there was a yellow icon warning on the ' USB Mass Stoarge '

Under properties, i see a message saying that this cannot be used because, although the item isnt connected, safe mode for disconnection wasnt used, and therefore t.........blah blah blah. Not exact words, but i guess most will know what this is.

I figured it to be me connecting my Canon DSLR via USB cable to download photos, and normally, you get an icon in the bottom right corner to ' safely remove ' the item. Sometimes this simply does not appear, so i just remove the camera cable anyway. I guess win XP didnt like it.

Back
Top Bottom