Tyre experiences

Associate
I posted this in another forum a while ago, but think it might be helpful here as well :)

Would be nice if others could add their experiences

Righto, I've now ridden with a few brands and models, thought I'd share what I've had so far.

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (07 Hornet 600 ABS)
I couldn't fault these at all, loved them, gave a nice and predictable feeling tipping in. Definitely confidence building tyres for a newbie.

In the wet; absoloutely brilliant tyres.

How long did they last; 6-8000 miles for the rear, double on the front.
That was mainly commuting, with weekend rides and a trackday or 2.
(For the set I got 8k out of I was a new rider and not pushing the tyres anywhere near as hard as I did the 2nd set I put on.

Overall Very good

Bridgestone BT014 (07 Hornet non-ABS)
I wasn't overly keen on these, they didn't give the same levels of confidence as the 2CTs, they just didn't really feel like they gave as much feedback.

I'd happily use these for commuting, but as they are a single compound tyre they might not last all that long. I'd also use these for the odd weekend blast, and maybe on track, though they might be shot after 1 track day.

In the wet; Not bad at all, just not as good as the 2CTs

How long did they last; No idea, I did about 1.5-2k miles on them over the course of a month on a hire bike.

Overall Good

Dunlop 201 (92 Fightered CBR 600F)
I hated these, very little feedback and took a while to warm up.

I'd use them to commute with and sod all else.

In the wet; Never used them in the wet, they were bad enough in the dry.

Overall Bad

Bridgestone BT016 (92 Fightered CBR 600F)
A lot better than the Dunlops, nice feedback and confidence (more so than the 014) triple compund rear, dual compound front.

I've used these for commuting as well as a couple of blasts at the weekend, not used on track though. (Though i happily would)

How long did they last; Don't know, I've done about 2k miles and they seem barely worn in.

In the wet; Very good, almost equal to the 2CTs

Overall Very Good

Bridgestone BT014 (2003 VTR 1000 SP2)
Feel ok, fairly confidence inspiring, feel better than they did on the Hornet. Other than that very little different. (they don't last as long on the SP2 as they would have done on the Hornet).

Overall Good

Metzeler Racetec (2003 VTR 1000 SP2)
I only used these on track and very briefly on the road, never in the wet (I had a 6" nail go into the tyre, and out the sidewall riding along the embankment outside the Tate Britain, builders in London eh!)

They warm up very quickly, have a steeper profile than any of the other tyres I have used.

Tipping in is faster, noticably, but not scary. Very confidence inspiring, very good tyres.

Be aware though these don't have much tread depth, and may not last very long. You can mitigate the high cost of these (similar in price to the 2CT) by buying part worn ones, loads around either on the dodgy auction site or if you know anyone who races.

Overall; Very good in the dry, no personal experience in the wet, but from what I've been told not good.

To summise;

For a bike which is only likely to be taken out in the dry, road or track I'd go for the Metzelers any day.

For a bike which will be ridden in sun or rain, I'd take the 2CTs over any other, they are the best road tyres I have used.

Anyone else fancy adding their experiences?

Hope it's useful, I might write a more coherant version at a later date

Soldato
Sports Touring tyres have come a long way and TBH the majority of riders don't need Sports rubber. I've used Avon Storms on my 2001 Fireblade and ZX12-R and currently on my Fazer 1000 (Storm 2 Ultra). I'm not a track-day hero but am in the faster group in rideouts and I've never felt the need to switch to another brand or softer compound.

Associate
I have got a pair of Pirelli Diablo Corsa's on the Srad and find them to be pretty good.
Quite a lot of feedback from both front and rear. Wear wise I got approx 3k out of my last rear and the front is looking at about 5-6k.
I might try the Pilot's for my next set, as they seem to get good reviews of most riders.

Soldato
I don’t think I have enough experience to convey the exact feelings, or to really know what I’m looking for, but I will give my experience with Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s:

Had my first set on the Ninja, they were my first tires that game me enough confidence to get my knee down, so I was sold on them at that point :D

I have a set on the R1 now and they’re still very confidence inspiring, the Corsas that came with it originally were good enough, but knowing what I was capable of on the 3s, I traded up to a set at the first tyre change.

They warm up fairly quickly I guess, and retain the heat for a good 5-10 minutes once you stop, they are pretty quick to change direction, but I still control this really, and having never done a track day yet, I haven’t had to flick through a chicane.

I’m looking to swap to a different brand next though, I don’t want to stick with the same flavour of ice cream when there are so many more, so may try the Metzeler M3 or M5s next; had an unscheduled stop at a garage near the forest of dean last weekend (a mate had wheel wobble), and the tech mentioned that the M5s will be this summer’s hottest tyre (no puns!).

Soldato
Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 are my favourite tyres ever, amazing wet grip, even more amazing in the dry, only downsides were they were pricey and they wear quite quick

Yokohoma Parada are the worse tyres i've ever used, using them directly after the GSD3's the wet grip was laughable, never again will I part with more than 0.50p for such shockingly over hyped rubbish

Somewhere in the middle were Vredenstein Sportrac, they were suprisingly good for the price, not quite as good as GSD3 but for the price i'd definitely have another set

Toyo Proxes, so long ago I cant remember the codes but the earlier ones side walls were too stiff, the second revision were quite good for the price, never used the Proxes 4

Soldato
Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 are my favourite tyres ever, amazing wet grip, even more amazing in the dry, only downsides were they were pricey and they wear quite quick

Yokohoma Parada are the worse tyres i've ever used, using them directly after the GSD3's the wet grip was laughable, never again will I part with more than 0.50p for such shockingly over hyped rubbish

Somewhere in the middle were Vredenstein Sportrac, they were suprisingly good for the price, not quite as good as GSD3 but for the price i'd definitely have another set

Toyo Proxes, so long ago I cant remember the codes but the earlier ones side walls were too stiff, the second revision were quite good for the price, never used the Proxes 4
I've tried them but they made cornering slightly tricky for my bike. Thanks though ;)

Soldato
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. I had Pirelli Diablo's on my RSV when I first got it. When it came to needing new hoops I tried the original Pilot Powers back in the day. Couldn't fault them.

Then the 2CT's came out. Tried them next and I've stuck with them ever since. Just had a new one fitted yesterday to the rear. Went out for a blat today to start the scrub in process.

I get about 3000-4000 out of a rear, maybe 5000-6000 out of a front before it starts to go "off". I generally replace my front tyres earlier than usual if I feel they are starting to go "off" so someone less fussy could possibly get a bit more mileage out of them compared to the amount I do.

The 2CT feels really planted on the road, great grip in both the dry and the wet. Good feel and it communicates well, lets you know what is going on down there on the tarmac. I can't see past 'em tbh. Good value too. Just blagged a rear 190/50/17 for £115 fitted and balanced at my local bike tyre place. Excellent bang per buck.

Associate
Love the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa BSB's. Super sticky and great feel, get upto temperature pretty quick but don't really last that long depending on your riding style. ;):D

Also be very careful on them in the wet ;)

Back
Top Bottom