u2711 or Hazro!?

Associate
Hi All,

I've just bought a beefy PC and are looking around the forums here and web for a new monitor (27"). I can't seem to make heads or tails of where would be the best direction to go in.

It will primarally be used for gaming and movies! I've not really got any kind of budget but at the same time I don't want to blow a stack of cash on the top of the line just to have it only slightly better than lower models.

Any advise would be greatly appriciated. I've been leaning towards the u2711 but it has a heavy price tag on it.

Many Thanks!

Associate
Hi I have been buying new monitors trying to find one to replace my Dell SP2309W, I have bought 3 and I sent them all back as I didn't find one to suit me. I have had a Dell U2711H a great monitor for watching movies and general web surfing the colours and vibrancy were great but the AG Coating on the screen was too grainy looking and for photo editing and close up work it just put me off. So now I have ordered an Asus PA246Q which is similar to the Dell U2410 but with much less aggressive screen coating so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
With the Dells just be aware that they have a very aggressive AG coating.

Associate
OP
hmmm ok, thanks for the heads up. Strange why they get such good reviews then?

I may have to look into the hazro then!

Soldato
Based on my experience, you'll have a hard time finding a good, non faulty Hazro. QC is the last thing on their mind right now it seems.

what is your experience, ?

there must be lots of people out there with good screens that are happy with them

Soldato
what is your experience, ?

there must be lots of people out there with good screens that are happy with them

1st screen had problems, returned for refund. Decided to wait until August restock to try again.

This one came with a number of dead pixels, and some weird stain on the panel itself that makes a =/ face a few inches in length. RMAing it for an exchange. If the next one has problems, I've had it.

They really shafted on QC. I just wish Dell would make a glossy U27 and then yay happiness.

Associate
LC155 I think you are just one very unlucky man, or at least I hope so as a HZ27WD is on its way to me ;). There are quite a few happy Hazro users as well at least. You may wanna keep an eye out for the HP ZR2740w (isn't out yet but should be sometime soon - no idea how bad the AG coating will be)

If you're looking at a Hazro to save money, the HZ27WC does come with a few special notes though, it doesn't come with HDCP support so that could be problematic if you want to watch movies. SlySofts AnyDVDHD is a workaround.. but might be illigal depending on where you life.
Also, it doesn't have a scalar so gaming on a console isn't it's forté.

If you're going to get a HZ27WD, act fast. Week special is ending today and the price goes up almost £100 when it does end.

Associate
the dells ag coating really bothers some people and doesnt seem to bother others.

Depends what you are using the screen for. For video, gaming… you will not note AG coating. It is worst for office work, dtp…, with text and numbers on white background. For photo and design it may disturb, but not as much as all the time with tiny things on white background. Depends on your needs.

I am happy with my WD, doing a lot of office work, and some photo editing. Just one green stuck pixel, but it is really hard to find it, with such small pixels. No problem at all. Havn't seen it for weeks.

Cheers - Klaus

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends what you are using the screen for. For video, gaming… you will not note AG coating.

That is not entirely true. It is evident on white and other light colours regardless of application - areas of snow on games, the bright blue sky and desert sand are all examples of areas where the grain will be apparent. Not everyone will find it bothersome but it does affect the purity and vibrancy of colours (within the sRGB gamut for this comparison) regardless of whether or not you can see the grain.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
so many responses :O

Thanks all, I'm still pretty stuck though.. really can't make up my mind. Wish I knew of a place I could go see all these screens in London.

Back
Top Bottom