UBi pull Christmas launch games from Steam in UK..

Soldato
Could you see Valve allowing Half Life 3 (should it ever appear) to be sold on Uplay or Origin? I like Steam the best but I really don't have an issue using Uplay or Origin. Strange as it may seem, I don't think about the fact that I've had to use Uplay to play AC Black Flag, I just enjoy playing the game. Last point, if Steam was the only medium we'd all be complaining about their monopoly.

Exactly my thoughts, I find Steam and Origin the same (except for origin auto enabling "Origin in game" and making my bf4 crash...). I use Uplay for FC3 and 1 or 2 other games and thats it.

I rarly buy games from steam anymore now due to the CD key sites being cheaper.

Associate
Ive never really had any issues with Ubisoft so Im not gonna jump on the bandwagon for slating them. However I do usually prefer steam only.

As someone mentioned farcry 3, I got it around release when g2play or similar screwed up their pricing and I got the special edition for about £5. Best bargain ive had .

Edit : found email..

Far Cry? Complete Pack- Quantity: 1
4.94 (GBP)

Far Cry?- Quantity: 1
?0.00 (GBP)

Far Cry? 2 Fortune's Edition- Quantity: 1
?0.00 (GBP)

Far Cry? 3 Deluxe Edition- Quantity: 1
?0.00 (GBP)

Far Cry? 3 Deluxe Bonus Content- Quantity: 1
This product is not yet available. ?0.00 (GBP)

Shipping ?0.00
Discounts ?0.00
Tax ?0.00

Total ?4.94 GB

Ubisoft aint all bad :D

Last edited:
Associate
I like UbiSoft games, some of the best out there but their delivery is poor. They struggle to keep players interested long enough. Watchdogs was great when there were loads of other players, being hacked and hacking was good fun, but now it takes anywhere up to 5mins or it just times out before it finds another player.
They also seem to make it very hard to communicate with other players or be able to conveniently befriend any like you can on Steam.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ubisoft are running out of ideas, Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell & Assassin's Creed. (I believe Watch_Dogs as well, but I got 20 minutes in and it just crashed and had problems since).

What with this Single Player XP system to upgrade everything and anything, they keep using?

This annoyed me a lot in Tomb Raider especially, they seem to be re-using this 'technique' across all their games when it really doesn't suit the game what so ever. I started playing the newest Splinter Cell, (it's not EXP but money), I'm getting money for finishing missions, to upgrade my suit & my plane?

Coming from previous iterations of the game, I'm pretty sure Sam Fisher isn't going to be hindered because his boots aren't level 10 upgraded?! Just a silenced pistol & some gadgets, not a eBay checkout before starting a mission to buy stuff...

End of that rant anyway, I won't be paying £49.99 for their next games.

Caporegime
I do quite like it.

Sometimes they go too far. Some of the Assassins Creeds had far too many side missions.

Far Cry 3 was great though, perfect distillation of the upgrade tree IMO. It's RPG-lite stuff to give you more impetus to go off the beaten track and complete all the other bits.

Is Skyrim much different? Single player XP upgrades...

Caporegime
Could you see Valve allowing Half Life 3 (should it ever appear) to be sold on Uplay or Origin? I like Steam the best but I really don't have an issue using Uplay or Origin. Strange as it may seem, I don't think about the fact that I've had to use Uplay to play AC Black Flag, I just enjoy playing the game. Last point, if Steam was the only medium we'd all be complaining about their monopoly.

Well put, I seem to remember Halflife2 activation being somewhat farcical on Steam as well.

Soldato
I do quite like it.

Sometimes they go too far. Some of the Assassins Creeds had far too many side missions.

Far Cry 3 was great though, perfect distillation of the upgrade tree IMO. It's RPG-lite stuff to give you more impetus to go off the beaten track and complete all the other bits.

Is Skyrim much different? Single player XP upgrades...

Skyrim is an RPG, and XP isn't thrown around with everything you do, you gradually level things up as you use/do stuff.

For a single player FPS, I'd expect less of the '10xp for headshot' & '20xp for opening a crate etc' and more gradual upgrades as you go along unlocking/finding things.

I like it for it's enticement to do other things outside of the main storyline (I am a completionist), and it does work some things throughout the game, but I find it too seamy seamy and not that great when going through a campaign where I shouldn't have to worry about upgrading the version of my pistol by finding scrap pieces/cash/xp?

Leave that for Multiplayer I think.

Associate
this is getting stupid. if people don't stand up and walk away from £49,99 or £59,99 games not to mention £50,00 of DLC (( £100.00 for a single game, you buy two of those thats the price of a GTX770 or a decent 24" monitor or even a Wii-u ! )) for what is the exact same game we have all been playing only set in a different environment then gaming AAA is going to die out quick.

I dont see what far cry 4 brings over far cry 3 ? i didn't see what crysis 3 brought over crysis 1 ? Borderlands pre-sequel comes upto about £70 with the day one DLC and they admitted it was more of the same and up until this new COD game the last two were identical ( literally) and as for Assassins creed well that hasn't brought too much either and although enjoyable SOM was very close to AC.

most AAA have been done to death. Consoles aren't the powerhouses people expected either in fact there already hitting a performance wall.

The only AAA title's im buying for the foreseeable future is Project cars, KillingFloor 2, Fallout 4 and all of those games feature massive re-playability and modding.

Last edited:
Soldato

Steam was always intended as a marketplace for third party content, Origin and uPlay exist to shift first party content with third party content chucked in there with little thought/desire.

Caporegime
It was? I just remember 2004 having to download either the 'gold', 'silver' or 'Bronze' versions of Half-Life 2.

Steam was pretty naff when it launched. Love it now.

Weren't you ****ging off steam somewhere recently Gimpymoo?

Soldato
Hopefully people will stop buying the crap Ubisoft keep producing. A company completely out of ideas. Their use of forced-fail states in all of their games nearly killed my love of gaming recently.

Back
Top Bottom