Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite troubles

Soldato
Hi,
having some troubles with my edgerouter. currently i cant get it do do 1gigabit on my fiber conneciton. the connection is 1GB as I can speedtest it with the linksys router that was given.

I have offloaded IPV4 forwarding, vlan, PPPoE and GRE as well as IPV6 forwarding and VLAN. the wan still capped at 250mbps.

i have 2 LAN and 4 VLAN (all wireless with AP AC Pro) with some NAT and firewall set up.

anyone got any clue on what is going on?

Associate
A couple of things to check perhaps.

CPU load during the speed test. My ER-X is single digit on my 500/70 connection. multiple lan + vlan +firewall with a few extra rules and feeding AUP-AC-LR

Any smart queues/qos set up to limit traffic that perhaps you set up previously?

Soldato
OP
A couple of things to check perhaps.

CPU load during the speed test. My ER-X is single digit on my 500/70 connection. multiple lan + vlan +firewall with a few extra rules and feeding AUP-AC-LR

Any smart queues/qos set up to limit traffic that perhaps you set up previously?
when speed testing CPU is around 15-17% and no QoS setup anywhere on the network or traffic limiters.

I am looking at ER-X as an alternative, but i thought ER-L is meant to be superior to ER-X.

anyway i have 2 LAN + 4 VLAN via the UAC-Pro AP maybe the VLANs are causing issues?

Soldato
An EdgeRouter Lite won't do 1Gb PPPoE, it doesn't have the beans.
It does.

I ran 1Gbit/1Gbit PPPoE FTTH for years on one.

It wont do these speeds with VLAN, QoS, DPI/Threat Detection enabled however. Simple NAT, Firewall Rules and Forwarding is fine for linespeed.

Also, make sure you only use a SINGLE WAN and SINGLE LAN uplink port. DO NOT bridge two ports on an ERL onto the same LAN network as its done in software and KILLS performance. To check make sure you dont have a br0 interface.

Soldato
OP
It does.

I ran 1Gbit/1Gbit PPPoE FTTH for years on one.

It wont do these speeds with VLAN, QoS, DPI/Threat Detection enabled however. Simple NAT, Firewall Rules and Forwarding is fine for linespeed.

Also, make sure you only use a SINGLE WAN and SINGLE LAN uplink port. DO NOT bridge two ports on an ERL onto the same LAN network as its done in software and KILLS performance. To check make sure you dont have a br0 interface.
deifnitely dont have bridged eth ports. i might try moving all devices from eth2 onto eth1 and see if anything improves.

will an ER-X perform better with this regard?

Soldato
Its been a while since I looked at the ER product line but I recall the ERL 3 being more capable than the ER X.

As above, the ERL 3 is 100% capable of doing Gbit at linespeed.

Do a firmware update and backil your config. Then try a fresh 1WAN1LAN configuration with basic firewalling and NAT.

Soldato
OP
Its been a while since I looked at the ER product line but I recall the ERL 3 being more capable than the ER X.

As above, the ERL 3 is 100% capable of doing Gbit at linespeed.

Do a firmware update and backil your config. Then try a fresh 1WAN1LAN configuration with basic firewalling and NAT.
yeah that is what i am doing right now, firmware is already on the latest.

so gonna factory reset and start over again with WAN+2LAN as i need 2 LANS and hopefully i get full 1000mbit

i read that ER-X is total 1000mbits throughput ie 500/500 if it is going full pelt at both stream. where ER-L can do 1000/1000

Soldato
OP
Someone did suggest the command of Delete system flow-accounting

The cli returned nothing to delete so I don’t think it is switched on.

I think it is the vlans that are killing the performance.

Associate
will an ER-X perform better with this regard?
ER X has a switch0 interface.
I have my ont plugged into eth0 and eth 1-4 are in switch0 interface in vlan aware mode which I run 4 vlans off on different subnets with 4 DHCP servers etc (LAN, iot, kids, guest)
Eth4 carries my tagged VLANs to the rest of the network (Netgear managed switches)

True ER-X has 1000mbit bandwidth total internally but not a problem for me.

If this will work for you then it's a cheap and pretty capable router.

Soldato
OP
reset the router and restore default config has made the connection to 1000mbit and now applied the rules and VLANs etc and all working.

however the PC upstairs connecting to a netgear managed switch is capped at 250mbit. so i think there is some setting in that switch i need to change. I got a feeling i switched on QoS on that switch. I cant remember the static IP of that switch so have to factor reset now :(

Back
Top Bottom