Ubiquiti router

Associate
Hello,

Trying to ditch vm and get a decent FTTP provider as Openreach finally brought fibre in my area.

Looking at Aquiss as it seems to get good reviews here at their 500 meg package.

Looks like they don’t supply any routers and I don’t have one at the moment.

Any recommendations please, a good rated WiFi router with at list WiFi 6 will do..

Or,

I have never used any ubiquiti products before but I’m keen to try the entry line if possible without breaking my bank.. I will need a router and at list 1 AP with WiFi 6 at list..

My VM hub 5 is ok WiFi wise coverage so hopefully looking at 1 AP that can do the same.

Thanks

i have been reading and also had a look at what is available online for sale - I'm very confused due to the variety of products.
Asking Ubiquiti experts: please recommend/spec me an affordable all in one stable router solution or a separate system consisting of the base router + 1 AP preferebly on wifi 6 or higher

was also looking at the eero 6 plus on amazon (is this something i should consider?)

thank you.

For an all in one there's the Dream Router, though no idea how good wifi coverage would be.

Or, if not an all in one then something like I bought, Cloud Gateway Ultra or if you want 2.5gb ethernet Cloud Gateway Max (built in nvme bay for cameras etc) with an 8 port, 4 PoE+, Lite Switch but if you need 2.5gb then Flex Mini 2.5gb which will probably be hard to get for a while as it's new and you'd need a PoE injector for the AP. With the 8 port Lite switch, if you mean wifi 6 and not 6e, you could get the U6 Pro AP.

I have the CGU, 8 port Lite and the U6 Pro and that gives me wifi coverage over my whole house, upstairs and downstairs, with the U6 Pro on a 3D Printed stand in my living room.

Last edited:
So budget? Usage requirements? Does it need to run the likes of Protect or are you good without? Gigabit, 2.5gbit, 10Gb WAN/LAN? It's pointless asking for recommendations when the only thing you've told is that a VM supplied SH - which isn't known for amazing Wi-Fi to begin with - is adequate. At best you'll get well intentioned 'this works for me' posts, but all you'll end up doing is paying a chunk of Ubiquiti tax for no obvious need/benefit otherwise, when potentially cheaper and more suited hardware exists.

Last edited:
For an all in one there's the Dream Router, though no idea how good wifi coverage would be.

Or, if not an all in one then something like I bought, Cloud Gateway Ultra or if you want 2.5gb ethernet Cloud Gateway Max (built in nvme bay for cameras etc) with an 8 port, 4 PoE+, Lite Switch but if you need 2.5gb then Flex Mini 2.5gb which will probably be hard to get for a while as it's new and you'd need a PoE injector for the AP. With the 8 port Lite switch, if you mean wifi 6 and not 6e, you could get the U6 Pro AP.

I have the CGU, 8 port Lite and the U6 Pro and that gives me wifi coverage over my whole house, upstairs and downstairs, with the U6 Pro on a 3D Printed stand in my living room.
Must admit that AP stand is pretty cool.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies,

I have a budget of max £250 to spend however the less the better.

To put it in short words i need the equivalent or similar power and performance of VM hub 5.

This all in one router did serve us well in the last 2 years where I only had to reboot it once or twice.

I have a UDR which provides WiFi for the whole house just fine (2300 sq ft over 2 floors).

It is located in the centre of the house downstairs which might help with that.

Last edited:
Hi All,

To put it in short words i need the equivalent or similar power and performance of VM hub 5.

This all in one router did serve us well in the last 2 years where I only had to reboot it once or twice.
So what you're telling us is you basically need a very average ISP supplied router with no special features that isn't known to be particularly great when it comes to wifi for under £250. The good news is basically everything sold at this point should more or less match or exceed that set of requirements, they all obey the same legal power transmission limits etc. Anything from TP Link - eg an Archer or a pair of Deco x20's or similar will likely be on offer for under £100 in a few days - a GL.inet Flint 2 (130ish, teething issues seem to have been resolved), Unifi Express (130ish) has an integrated wifi6 AP, you also have the UCG Ultra (95ish) and UCG Max (195ish), but the UCG's need an AP on top of that.

So what you're telling us is you basically need a very average ISP supplied router with no special features that isn't known to be particularly great when it comes to wifi for under £250. The good news is basically everything sold at this point should more or less match or exceed that set of requirements, they all obey the same legal power transmission limits etc. Anything from TP Link - eg an Archer or a pair of Deco x20's or similar will likely be on offer for under £100 in a few days - a GL.inet Flint 2 (130ish, teething issues seem to have been resolved), Unifi Express (130ish) has an integrated wifi6 AP, you also have the UCG Ultra (95ish) and UCG Max (195ish), but the UCG's need an AP on top of that.
@Avalon thank you for your fair and clear advice. You saved me some money by making me finally get the Flint 2.
Very good router for my needs with good WiFi and strong wireguard performance for what I paid. (Now waiting for Aquiss to arrive on the 9th :)

Thanks again,
Jon

Hi All,

The dream router is better that the hub 5 and later if you feel you need better/extra coverage the AP's are pretty much plug and play with it.

Back
Top Bottom