[UbiSoft] Star Wars

Soldato
According to the latest reports, this is going to be a completely 'open world' galaxy much in the the same style that No Man's Sky is open world.

Whenever this gets released, I hope it's everything I'm imagining it is. It's not going to be though is it? Its UbiSoft.

You never know, its being done by Massive Entertainment who did The Division 1 and 2. I got literally thousands of hours out of Division 1 and 2.. its also using the Snowdrop engine used in those games so should look pretty excellent too.

Frankly if anyone causes it to be a mess, it probably wont be Massive or Ubisoft, it will be Disney

I know, I also have thousands of hours in both Division games too. I'm still playing Division 2 now, but it's severely broken at the moment and has been for over three years now with UbiSoft/Massive being either unable ro fix or simply can't be arsed. Due to that I don't hold UbiSoft/Massive in very high regards.

So, yeah. Like you said, it may be a damn good good but then it may also be damn good but very broken.

Last edited:
Ugh. The temptation to get hype is real but I am sort of done with getting excited about Star Wars content. If they can make sure to focus on the setting being pretty much the main character then they'll have a winner on their hands.

Topic tangent but I maintain that by focusing on the ridiculously well established world - as opposed to the mistake of SWTOR focusing on story/hero plots - they could bring MMOs back (SWG 2, sandbox boogaloo). If it can't then no IP can.

You never know, its being done by Massive Entertainment who did The Division 1 and 2. I got literally thousands of hours out of Division 1 and 2.. its also using the Snowdrop engine used in those games so should look pretty excellent too.

Frankly if anyone causes it to be a mess, it probably wont be Massive or Ubisoft, it will be Disney

This.

IIRC, SWBF 1 was originally going to be pretty similar to BF mechanics but it was disney who stepped in and said they wanted the game to be more casual and easy to pick up for people of all ages :(

Is it just me having nightmares about an Assassin's Creed : Star Wars ? Take your character, Ezio, and explore the galaxy ....

Last edited:
Meh. Will see what's what when it's out. Almost zero excitement in the meantime. Star Wars games always disappoint the past decade.

Oh and it's Ubisoft so probably won't play it about a year after release until its on their play service for £1 for the month :p

Last edited:
Personally think they messed up The Division 2 quite a lot - some stuff was good but they changed too many things around for the sake of it to make them "new", making them less intuitive to use than TD1, and listened too much to a small number of pro-gamers who had their own agenda which kind of ruined the gameplay in several areas.

TD1 was an excellent game let down by too many fragmented gameplay ideas and concepts which were 75% implemented then abandoned, with a complete overhaul of the systems involved it would have been 10x better game, the later movement changes, in a clumsy low effort attempt to curtail "chicken dancing", were awful as well and really destroyed one of the things which made TD1 stand out from many similar games which just had such clunky movement.

I'm on the fence, the potential is there, but I'm not sure if they can realise it or not, or will be allowed to realise it without interference.

Last edited:
Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Still, with all the Star Wars games in development at the moment, someone has to get one right. Right??

This.

IIRC, SWBF 1 was originally going to be pretty similar to BF mechanics but it was disney who stepped in and said they wanted the game to be more casual and easy to pick up for people of all ages :(
It didn't come from Disney, Star Wars Battlefront being more casual was an EA decision.

Climb that tower, reveal 1% of the map, capture this base, unlock new weapon, climb another tower, rinse and repeat. I hope I’m wrong because we need more decent Star Wars games.

They need to copy and paste star wars galaxies pre reset.

Honestly if we had SWG back I'd buy the deluxe super uber edition and pay a monthly sub for life, Still no MMO comes close to SWG in my eyes.

Miss my musty bunker that I had decorated to the gills with every hologram, All Sith and Jedi holos, Rare paintings, Sun Riders Destiny, Lava Crystal, Bacta tank etc... the community was truly amazing too.

the community was truly amazing too.
This is the single reason why those greatest of them all MMOs from back in the day (SWG, UO, DAOC etc) wouldnt work if they were released today. The MMO userbase from the 90s and early 2000s consisted of a different sort of player and much different communities. Once MMOs became mainstream in the mid 2000s, the userbase changed greatly and the once great MMO community became a hotbed of toxic players. I've often commented that the MMO genre becoming mainstream was both the best thing and the worst thing to happen to it.

You can bring back the great MMOs but we'll never again get the great playerbase that existed back then.

Last edited:
This is the single reason why those greatest of them all MMOs from back in the day (SWG, UO, DAOC etc) wouldnt work if they were released today. The MMO userbase from the 90s and early 2000s consisted of a different sort of player and much different communities. Once MMOs became mainstream in the mid 2000s, the userbase changed greatly and the once great MMO community became a hotbed of toxic players.

You can bring back the great MMOs but we'll never again get the great playerbase that existed back then.

Sadly very true, It's why I generally don't do MMO's anymore as yes there are decent people but the vast majority in the modern day that do online gaming are self entitled a-holes, Have zero patience, Bleeding horrible attitudes and horrendous personalities.

If they had to live through the server resets of SWG back in the day where the devs had to roll back progress multiple hours we'd be hearing the feet stamping and reee'ing from 5000 miles away followed by death threats, Hash tags and change dot org petitions.

I really hate the modern world post 2006.

Last edited:
Since Ubisoft pivoted to open world's all of their games have felt pretty similar but I do think that style of game could suit Star Wars really well.

My biggest issue with the latest two AC titles for example was the game world felt too monumentally huge with far too many activities. Playing them I always felt a bit pressured to try and do everything within a giant game world which I didn't know enough about to really get invested in.

This is one of the reasons I like the Elder Scrolls games so much. The game worlds are big but no so big that they feel overwhelming, the lore is generally easy to understand with clear and distinct factions and races, it's clear what the main story is yet you get given enough opportunities to explore side content which is generally written and presented well enough to not make it feel you're doing the same content over and over again. For me Ubisoft games are almost the complete opposite of that with only a few exceptions.

For Star Wars though I don't think I'd have those issues, even if the game was essentially a re-skinned UBI open world game. I know enough about the lore that I think I'd be happy.

I'm going to be quietly optimistic about this one.

From reading about their latest financial report yesterday, I reckon this will be a live service game. They seem to be in trouble generally speaking, with numerous unannounced projects now cancelled. My expectations for this are even lower now. :o

Last edited:
Honestly if we had SWG back I'd buy the deluxe super uber edition and pay a monthly sub for life, Still no MMO comes close to SWG in my eyes.

Miss my musty bunker that I had decorated to the gills with every hologram, All Sith and Jedi holos, Rare paintings, Sun Riders Destiny, Lava Crystal, Bacta tank etc... the community was truly amazing too.

Never got the chance to play it but what I've read and been told it was a bloody good game

Back
Top Bottom