Ubuntu 6.06

Soldato
Got this DVD free from a guy a work ( a linux geek :p ) it was free in an edition of Linux magazine (Aug 2006) I have a few questions.

- On the case it says it includes live boot and hard disk install, now if I install it on the same hard drive as a XP install will it automatically sort out partioning and boot menu?

-I have a file server that I access using remote desktop on my XP machine, is there a similar thing on Ubuntu? Or if not is there a download available?

-Will i still be able to access my files on my XP file server using Ubuntu?

Also is there anything else i need to know?

Thanks for any help. :)

Una

Una

Associate
- On the case it says it includes live boot and hard disk install, now if I install it on the same hard drive as a XP install will it automatically sort out partioning and boot menu?

You can use partition manager(in windows before) or gparted(in the install) to resize your hard disk. Then you can let the installer format and create the correct mount points and setup grub. It will add windows xp to the bootmenu automatially usualy.

-I have a file server that I access using remote desktop on my XP machine, is there a similar thing on Ubuntu? Or if not is there a download available?
Not sure if there is a client to connect to remove desktop, You could install VNC however which is pretty similar.

-Will i still be able to access my files on my XP file server using Ubuntu?
Yeah thats no problem, if your in gnome (which is ubuntu default) you can just select network places from the menu's and view your domain/workgroup shares.

Soldato
I have been toying with Ubuntu 6.6 today... Will play with the others in the next couple of days ( kubuntu, xubuntu for both x86 and x64 )

One thing I found, which I found handy, was that although I tried to mount my windows drives in my usual place of /mnt/WinC /mnt/WinD and so on, it wouldnt let me... Instead it mounted them to /media/blahblah which was alternative for me, however, when I got the desktop up, it put the icons on there for me automatically and it named them as they are named in Windows too, so I found that VERY useful.

Look up VNC for what you need.

As for the LIVE / INSTALL thingy, its actually very clean on Ubuntuto be fair...

You just boot from the CD / DVD and you get an ubuntu desktop after a short while... On that Desktop, is an icon, called INSTALL... Not surprisingly.

This is the icon you need to use, and it will take you through installign it to the HD, and yes, like all good distros, it will resize any Windows partition to accomodate it.

One small tip for you that may or may not prove useful in the future...

When you do partition your Drive, let Linux have 3 partitions..

1 - The / partition...
This is the main one, sort of like C: on Windows.

2 - SWAP
This is vital for Linux, similar to the SWAP or PAGE File in Windows, but it uses a whole partition instead of a file.

3 - /home
This is sort of like the My Documents in Windows, and its where you will be poutting your own stuff on.

Now, the reason behind have the /home partition seperate, is that if you upgrade, or even try out a whole new Linux distro, you never need to touch that partition, and your data will always be intact.

Just a thought.

Associate
Sometimes the 'install' from the live cd doesn't work, but if you choose 'install in text mode' from the boot screen it will install no probs.
I personally would rather partition any disks before the install just encase. Even better a different hdd.

Back
Top Bottom