1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu /boot/ filling up, old kernels issue help

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by bledd, Oct 10, 2019.

1. bledd

Don

Hi,

I have a Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS install (which has been upgraded from around 12.04. /boot/ keeps filling up and shows old kernels

dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Shows..

[​IMG]

How do I go about fixing this? I assume I need to take out the grub entries, then remove the files.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Steveocee

Soldato

apt autoremove ? Always did the trick for me in previous versions, no grub editing needed.

3. SMN

Wise Guy

I've found ubuntu generally does a rubbish job at cleaning up /boot, i regularly have to manually remove old kernels from /boot before running 'apt-get -f install' or the 'dpkg reconfigure' command (i forget the syntax).

OP, if 'apt autoremove' fails, you can do an ls in /boot and find the old kernels and delete them all except the one your on now (uname -r) and potentially another, just for safety. Then run 'apt-get update' and follow the trail :)

4. Bagnaj97

Associate

This just prompted me to tidy up a couple of machines, here's what I came up with:

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep 'ii  linux-image\|ii  linux-headers\|ii  linux-modules\|ii  linux-tools' | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep -v `uname -r | cut -d '-' -f1-2` | grep '[0-9]' > oldKernels && sudo apt remove `cat oldKernels`
    List available packages (dpkg -l)
    Filter down to the target packages, that are also installed (grep 'ii linux-image\|ii linux-headers\|ii linux-modules\|ii linux-tools')
    Chop the line up and just get the package name (cut -d ' ' -f3)
    Filter out the packages for the currently running kernel (grep -v `uname -r | cut -d '-' -f1-2`)
    Filter down to packages containing numbers to exclude linux-image-generic etc (grep '[0-9]')

Finally redirect the list of packages to a file and uninstall them.
    This worked for me, but check the list of packages carefully before pressing y!

5. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

apt autoremove works just fine for me on both Ubuntu 16.x and 18.x

Or on CentOS something like package-cleanup assuming your max number of installed kernels is set higher than you actually want (fix that as well)

6. uvarvu

Mobster

I run dpkg --purge to make sure anything residual is removed.

7. bledd

Don

Was going around in circles.

Ended up just doing this.