Ubuntu Edge.

Man of Honour
Awesome phone, can it run a different os though.

How good is hat battery and screen protector. If good, why can't ther phone companies use it.
Love the look of it as well.

32m though, can't see that, competition is great though.

Soldato
I bet most buyers would just end up running Android on it. If it's pitched as a mobile productivity machine I couldn't justify effectively switching my phone off to use it as a desktop. It makes next to no sense. I don't get that aspect of it at all unless it's running on some sort of hypervisor, but "dual boot" implies it doesn't.

Nice looking phone though.

Soldato
I'm actually considering this...

Consider it quickly, you've only got one day left for the $600 deal. :D

Looks like Canonical failed to find a OEM for Ubuntu then. :(

Can't blame anyone for not taking a risk in this dead market. HTC and Samsung can't give those flagship WP8 phones away. Actually, they should buy up all the old 8X/Ativ stock and stick Ubuntu on them. Brilliant! :D

Regarding the Edge.

A pioneering project that accelerates the adoption of new technologies and drives them down into the mainstream.

New technologies? Where? Apart from 4GB RAM those standard specs. 128GB? Meh that boat sailed long ago, no one wants it. Photos, music, games and films have headed off into the cloud. They should just offer a stunning Ubuntu One cloud deal.
The silicon-anode battery is interesting I guess.

We also believe the race for ever higher resolution has become a distraction. Beyond 300ppi you’re adding overhead rather than improving display clarity. We think colour, brightness and dynamic range are now the edge of invention so we’ll choose a display for its balance of resolution, dynamic range and colour accuracy.

Hold on... your making a "desktop" phone WITHOUT a 1080p screen? WTF? Mid range phones nailed colour, brightness and dynamic range a while back.

Personally if I was Mark Shuttleworth I'd go full on prototype, it's low volume device after all... Something like this!

16/20nm ImgTec SoC (MIPS Warrior CPU, Series 6 powerVR GPU, latest powerVR VDX etc, I bet ImgTec are gagging for a showcase partner)
Pelican/Lytro camera.
Hook up with Valve and make it the first "Steam phone".
Foldable 7" 1080p display.
MHL isn't good enough for a forward thinking computational phone. It needs a Mini DisplayPort thunderbolt thinggy with bundled dock.

Yeah, I'd pledge $850 for that.

Anyway good luck to Canonical, options are always good!

Soldato
New technologies?

Hold on... your making a "desktop" phone WITHOUT a 1080p screen? WTF? Mid range phones nailed colour, brightness and dynamic range a while back.

How many other phones can you hook up to a monitor for a full desktop experience like Ubuntu out of the box.

Regarding the screen, so what if the device isn't 1080p doesn't mean it can't output 1080p to an external screen surely?

Associate
Took the plunge, I just knew once it is released I will be of been gutted, hopefully my galaxy 2 will hold out for another year :)

Man of Honour
I'm in support of this. That device looks stunning and they're promoting the best storage and battery life, two things I live by.

no one wants it. Photos, music, games and films have headed off into the cloud.

I have to disagree. There's a clear groupie out there promoting cloud storage at every opportunity but cloud storage is useless for the traveller, people who spend time outdoors. I have over 20GB of music, I cannot pin all that on Google Music because that exceeds the available storage on virtually ALL smartphones that I'd be interested in (Top end Android) out now and coming out soon that have known specs that don't sport an SD card slot. This means cloud based music is useless to people like myself who often travel different places and don't have a stable 3G reception at a minimum.

Videos, I don't want to have to stream my recorded videos or downloaded movies off the cloud when round a mate's house or in an outdoor setting with people, I just want to load it up locally and play it on a TV wirelessly. An SD card or greater than 32GB storage allows this. Storage is also very very cheap and to have less than 32GB out of the box is just being stingy for the sake of being stingy.

Cloud storage is the future, yes, but it is not the technology for the present where data connectivity cannot be guaranteed in 100% of locations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only 20GB? :eek::D
Don't get me wrong I still want large storage options but it's not like we talking about anything critical here. Does it matter if you can't get a connection to Google music or Spotify for a few days? How much cached music would you have available for that time? 5GB+?
Personally I'd prefer Canonical develop/market Ubuntu One and offer two years free service over 128GB internal storage.

Anyway I guess it's there to replace your desktop/laptop hard drive. Is the latest 128GB eMMC fast enough to do that? That's another question.

How many other phones can you hook up to a monitor for a full desktop experience like Ubuntu out of the box.

All Nexus Devices and probably most Android phones that can output HDMI. Does the "launch Ubuntu from Android" software/app need root access?

Regarding the screen, so what if the device isn't 1080p doesn't mean it can't output 1080p to an external screen surely?

Yep but this is billed as a convergence device. Surely you'd want a high res screen when a larger one wasn't available? That's the whole point of a 'PC in your pocket' device. They probably can't secure a supply of 1080p screens in this case.
Maybe it was the whole "Formula 1 testbed for cutting-edge technologies" crowd source desperation marketing that's made me sceptical. (Or maybe the disappointing Atrix/padfone experience?)
Just buy a Nexus 4 if you want something very similar right now.

Man of Honour
I'd want all my music available on tap, not just select albums. I like playlist shuffling and that's at its best when everything is available to shuffle. I listen to music from multiple genres and I don't tend to limit myself to just listening to a select few really.

There's no question that the storage is Samsung based on the Edge and that means it's going to be plenty fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom