1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu + RAID drivers

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Inquisitor, 5 Jun 2006.

1. Inquisitor

Capodecina

I'm about to install Ubuntu 6.06, however, I want to install it to my RAID array, which means I'll need the drivers. The driver needed is Silicon Image Si3112r. I've looked all over for a Linux version of this driver, but I can't seem to find any at all.

Can anyone help? :confused:

2. M0KUJ1N

PermaBanned

Looks like you'll have to use dmraid http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/ in conjunction with the built-in kernel drivers for the SII 3112 chipset (which dont support its BIOS RAID functionality).

n.b. I haven't actually attempted this myself so have no idea how difficult/easy it is to get running, and I definitely wouldnt recommend it for setting up a dual-boot setup on a SII RAIDed drive. I would recommend looking out an old PATA HD and installing linux on that, and then playing around with dmraid with that setup until you can "see" your RAIDed Windows drives

3. Inquisitor

Capodecina

Thanks. I happen to have a 200GB IDE drive, so I'll install it on there first, once I've cleared some space on it... too much music on there :(