UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th Sept 2021]

Caporegime
I've always preferred Cavani as our #9, he's a class act in my opinion. Look at the run he made when the ball looked as it was going out, chases everything down, can hold the ball up, can finish and is very strong.

The problem is where does that leave Ronaldo? Not sure he has the legs to play wide left. I know Cavani's positioning in that game was drifting out wide to the left, but he was very much central for PSG after the 15/16 season.

I would love for Ole to trial a Cavani, Ronaldo combo just to see how it goes.

Caporegime
I've always preferred Cavani as our #9, he's a class act in my opinion. Look at the run he made when the ball looked as it was going out, chases everything down, can hold the ball up, can finish and is very strong.

The problem is where does that leave Ronaldo? Not sure he has the legs to play wide left. I know Cavani's positioning in that game was drifting out wide to the left, but he was very much central for PSG after the 15/16 season.

It's nice to have options. Cavani isn't available week in week out and is nowhere near as good at finishing (either in the air or on the ground) as Ronaldo but he's an excellent presser.

Man of Honour
We should have drawn with Young Boys if it wasn't for the back pass. We should have drawn with Aston Villa and be joint top but we didn't. You need to take your chances.

Perhaps the reason why Villareal have drawn 5 of their league games is because they are terrible at finishing.

Take a step back, since Ole took over do you think the coaching is any better? Do the team play any better? Or have we just bought better players and carried on the same?

I know it's a results game but we scramble in a winner and the blinkers come on. I am looking over his entire tenure, I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, more than once, but the evidence is there - he's just not very good.

I would love for Ole to trial a Cavani, Ronaldo combo just to see how it goes.

Ronaldo and Cavani as a strike pair has some potential, if they can get it to work.

Caporegime
Take a step back, since Ole took over do you think the coaching is any better? Do the team play any better? Or have we just bought better players and carried on the same?
Yes? I think the coaching is far better than under Jose. We look much better from set pieces this season than last. Ole has also successfully transitioned us towards playing out from the back which Jose never managed to do. We've gone from being one of the teams that covered the least ground to being much more efficient pressers as well.

Man of Honour
Yes? I think the coaching is far better than under Jose. We look much better from set pieces this season than last. Ole has also successfully transitioned us towards playing out from the back which Jose never managed to do. We've gone from being one of the teams that covered the least ground to being much more efficient pressers as well.

Not sure about that myself. Jose was a disaster though, that was even worse than I expected - but at least he didn't bottle the EL final I suppose.

Caporegime
Well he had a far easier route and final. Ajax were no good back then, they had an incredibly inexperienced team. We still only just about beat them. We also almost crashed out to Celta of all teams if their striker hadn't missed an open goal. Jose was just lucky, he was no more tactically elite than Solskjaer is.

Caporegime
Well he had a far easier route and final. Ajax were no good back then, they had an incredibly inexperienced team. We still only just about beat them. We also almost crashed out to Celta of all teams if their striker hadn't missed an open goal. Jose was just lucky, he was no more tactically elite than Solskjaer is.

It's strange you say that.

In 10 years from now do you think ole will have won the champions league with 3 different clubs last, a europa league etc?

Caporegime
It's strange you say that.

In 10 years from now do you think ole will have won the champions league with 3 different clubs last, a europa league etc?

No? What has that got to do with anything. I'm not saying Mourinho wasn't a great manager who had a great career but that was history by the time he joined us, he's failed to adapt as football has changed and been left behind. That is why Fergie will always be the greatest. He didn't just build a team, he built multiple teams and changed the way he played as football changed.

Caporegime
No? What has that got to do with anything. I'm not saying Mourinho wasn't a great manager who had a great career but that was history by the time he joined us, he's failed to adapt as football has changed and been left behind. That is why Fergie will always be the greatest. He didn't just build a team, he built multiple teams and changed the way he played as football changed.

Let's be honest we could have lost tonight by multiple goals, same against villa in the cup and in the previous epl game too.

I don't remember many occasions under Jose where it felt like we were creating half chances but our opponents were getting multiple clear cut chances game after game.

Caporegime
Let's be honest we could have lost tonight by multiple goals, same against villa in the cup and in the previous epl game too.

I don't remember many occasions under Jose where it felt like we were creating half chances but our opponents were getting multiple clear cut chances game after game.

We played West Ham in the cup. We also created better chances than Villa in the league.

And that happened multiple times under Jose, do you not remember us beating Juventus where they completely dominated and we scored right at the end with one of our few chances?

Soldato
Bahahahahahaha

The same Ajax side that got picked apart by the European elite. Honestly just lol. I mean they paid 50 mil for one of their subs that night but yea...no they were garbage.

Just lol.

We played West Ham in the cup. We also created better chances than Villa in the league.

And that happened multiple times under Jose, do you not remember us beating Juventus where they completely dominated and we scored right at the end with one of our few chances?

Like tonight then? They should have been out of sight first half.

Caporegime

Juventus are a good side, when top teams play sure things can happen.

We just lost to young boys, West ham and Aston villa. And deserved to yet you can almost pick snyb1 of our 11 starters and they will be higher valued than pretty much the entire opposition squad.

Caporegime
Like tonight then? They should have been out of sight first half.

Did I say otherwise? Lots of people trying to put words in my mouth this week and then going quiet when I call them out on it :)

Every manager has games where they pick a result up when they've not been the best. Nick was suggesting Mourinho didn't have this.

Caporegime
Juventus are a good side, when top teams play sure things can happen.

We just lost to young boys, West ham and Aston villa. And deserved to yet you can almost pick snyb1 of our 11 starters and they will be higher valued than pretty much the entire opposition squad.

You need to go look back at some of the results under Mourinho because clearly your memory is shocking.

Don
Every manager has games where they pick a result up when they've not been the best.
I think the issue is decent managers don't have to rely on individual moments or pot luck to win them matches as often as Ole does. In 9 matches this season how many have Utd genuinely played well? 2?

Nobody dislikes Mourinho more than me and he was completely wrong for Utd but he done a better job than Ole's done/doing and done so with a poorer group of players. You've said there's no obvious upgrade on Ole but I think that's mad. Kellogg's could run a competition on the back of a cornflakes box and I reckon Utd would end up with a better manager than Ole.

Soldato
Did I say otherwise? Lots of people trying to put words in my mouth this week and then going quiet when I call them out on it :)

Every manager has games where they pick a result up when they've not been the best. Nick was suggesting Mourinho didn't have this.
Mourinho played a certain way to get a result. There’s a plan. Ole tonight was fortunate the Villarreal players couldn’t finish and got lucky in the end. Jose was a defensive manager and in that particular game Juve had 3 shots on target.

The Ajax comment about them not being very good back then is hilarious lmao.

Back
Top Bottom