UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th Sept 2021]

Soldato
Jones won't get the plaudits, he's not flashy (even though he has the ability to do so) and doesn't play for the greatest manager ever in the history of football. I'm fine with him going under the radar :)

Soldato
Jones won't get the plaudits, he's not flashy (even though he has the ability to do so) and doesn't play for the greatest manager ever in the history of football. I'm fine with him going under the radar :)

I rated him last year when in comparison to Foden and got slaughtered. He’s still only 20 and looks at home whenever he plays. Fingers crossed he can stay injury free.

That hand ball does look a bit sus in slow motion but still harsh for me.

I edited my original post as I feel the same. It’s like he’s trying to change the direction of the ball to take it away from the athletico player.

Don
14 goals in our last 3 visits to Porto and that's now 6 games on the bounce where we've scored 3 or more goals. Not bad for a team with no depth in attack. Porto are a bit **** but that was a very good performance from us with the goal against being the only negative to take from the game.

It's already been said but Jones is such a talent - both physically and technically he ticks all the boxes to be a top player. It might seem a bit odd to say about such a confident lad but all he's lacking right now is that complete belief in himself to really dominate midfields at this level. There's been signs of that changing in the past two games but on occasion he does play a little too safe when he could drive at an opponent or look to get a shot away but performances like to today are going to make him realise he's not just a young lad in the side but he's ready and capable of running the show.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just watched the RM vs Sheriff and Liverpool vs Porto highlights. The contrast in goalkeeping was amazing. The Porto keeper was utterly awful and cost them probably 3 of their goals and the Sheriff keeper made a dozen or so decent saves.

Caporegime
Just watched the RM vs Sheriff and Liverpool vs Porto highlights. The contrast in goalkeeping was amazing. The Porto keeper was utterly awful and cost them probably 3 of their goals and the Sheriff keeper made a dozen or so decent saves.

I think it must be a mental block after their previous games against Liverpool. I have seen better keeping in the Championship. Surely Porto cannot be that bad!

Don
In fairness to the Porto keeper, in between those mistakes he did also make a few good saves too. The way the goals came about may have been different but the battering would have been the same.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't know if keepers in the Spanish league are just a bit crap in general but I watched a "best 5 goals of the week" on the BBC and most of them were shots you would expect any half decent keeper to save.

Don
I don't know if keepers in the Spanish league are just a bit crap in general but I watched a "best 5 goals of the week" on the BBC and most of them were shots you would expect any half decent keeper to save.
That's the motm award in the bag for the Villarreal keeper tonight then.

Caporegime
In fairness to the Porto keeper, in between those mistakes he did also make a few good saves too. The way the goals came about may have been different but the battering would have been the same.

It wasn't just the keeping the defending was just as diabolical. That third goal where the three defenders all got sucked in leaving Salah open was Sunday league stuff.

fez

fez

Caporegime

:p Thats probably true.

It wasn't just the keeping the defending was just as diabolical. That third goal where the three defenders all got sucked in leaving Salah open was Sunday league stuff.

I mean it was no worse that the defending for most of the Arsenal goals at the weekend against Tottenham.

And the defending from us when Tottenham spanked us 6-1 or whatever it was last season.

Don
I'm not sure I agree there. We were breaking on them 4 v 3, what were those 3 defenders meant to do different in those circumstances? Somebody has to stay with Jones or he's running straight into the box, Mane's making a run just on the inside of him so somebody has got to be tracking that, Jota's just on his outside and breaking straight into the centre of the box so somebody has got to track him, leaving Salah open. If the last defender doesn't come across to track Jota then Jota's going to have an even easier chance than Salah had. And likewise if two defenders hang back to track Jota and Salah then Jones and Mane have got a 2 on 1 and it's going to end the same way too. The moment Jota, Mane and Salah all make different runs, we were always going to have a spare man and there was nothing Porto could have done different.

Man of Honour

He won’t need to save many shots if we carry on playing like we have been recently :D

Going to be interesting - failure to win here and Ole is under massive pressure, and rightly so. Not that it’ll matter…

Back
Top Bottom