UEFA Champions League Final - Manchester United vs. Barcelona

Caporegime
Just caught the highlights of the game on MUTV at the office as i missed the sky sports highlights and i couldnt watch the game last night...not exactly the channel i wanted to watch it on but meh i just kept it on mute as i loathe biased commentators of which there are many.

But again from what i saw, it seemed like Utd play 20mins of the first half at full pace then went off the boil especially after the 1st half...well at least they played more than the measly 15mins back in 2009:p.

But statistically Barca just absolutely smacked and thumped them all over the ground...one shot on target which was a goal isnt going to win you a game whether it be a EPL or CL final...777 passes made by Barca in the final **** me thats dominance right there with almost 70% possession. Again Utd were chasing shadows as they were back in 2009.

I have to say i kinda felt sorry for Utd with the way they got handled by Barca...they had a good go of it but really the end result was always going to be the same ie Barca winning the CL trophy again.

Caporegime
We need to settle on a regular midfield partnership, this chopping and changing every game has to stop. It's time to start playing Anderson regularly and helping him develop. Look what it's done for Nani this season getting regular games.

Eric's collar

E

Eric's collar

No midfield partnership in world football will beat xavi/iniesta/biscuits simple as. Even if you bought modric, sneijder and schweinsteiger, you can't buy messi.

Soldato
Well I've had time to sleep and eat and I'll say this again since my post was deleted.

We have to be gracious in defeat to Barca because they were simply awesome.

However, to the rest who seem to think it's funny, it wasn't your team winning it's 19th title and it wasn't your team who reached the Champions League Final. Respect where respect is due, but we understand why you can't bring yourself to do so. ;)

Soldato
We need to settle on a regular midfield partnership, this chopping and changing every game has to stop. It's time to start playing Anderson regularly and helping him develop. Look what it's done for Nani this season getting regular games.

We are in the horrible position of having a midfield that needs three players to do the jobs that two used to do.

Keane and Scholes covered every midfield requirement - passing, tackling, skill, grit, workrate and goals.

In order to tick those boxes now there are no two players that can do it.

Man of Honour
However, to the rest who seem to think it's funny, it wasn't your team winning it's 19th title and it wasn't your team who reached the Champions League Final. Respect where respect is due, but we understand why you can't bring yourself to do so. ;)

Butthurt is the word.

Also, I'm pretty shocked that your post was deleted but cheets' post wasn't? Pretty rubbish and unfair moderating imo.

Soldato
Well I've had time to sleep and eat and I'll say this again since my post was deleted.

We have to be gracious in defeat to Barca because they were simply awesome.

Agree 100% and i hinted at it before the game. Fair playto Barca - the best team won and to be fair they are so good they probably deserve a few CL title in order to leave a legacy.

However our season has been great. Who would have thought we could win the league by 9 points and get to another CL final back in August when we were bitching about lack of signings etc?

Being runner up in the CL is better than every other club in Europe bar one.

Associate
Taffy Owen holding the premiership trophy? :D

Still amuses me the idiot had the gaul to accept a medal & celebrate. Then again, nothing should suprise me with that mercenary... just ask newcastle fans...

where's ya next meal ticket son? ;)

Caporegime
We are in the horrible position of having a midfield that needs three players to do the jobs that two used to do.

Keane and Scholes covered every midfield requirement - passing, tackling, skill, grit, workrate and goals.

In order to tick those boxes now there are no two players that can do it.

I don't think it's really that, the game has simply changed since then. How many top teams still play 2 out and out strikers? 3 in the middle is pretty common.

Soldato

Still amuses me the idiot had the gaul to accept a medal & celebrate. Then again, nothing should suprise me with that mercenary... just ask newcastle fans...

Sorry but he just won a premiership medal, wasn't likely to achieve that at Liverpool now was he? ;)

Soldato

He would have walked back to Liverpool given half a chance but your esteemed leader at the time didnt want him on a free, leaving you with ONE striker and Ngog.

How did that work out?????

Soldato
I don't think it's really that, the game has simply changed since then. How many top teams still play 2 out and out strikers? 3 in the middle is pretty common.

Thats a tactical descision. The fact remains that you want all those characteristics from a midfield and we no longer have the players that can do it.

If we were going to be super-harsh it could be argued that Giggs and Scholes at their age should be nowhere near the first XI of a top European team. Anderson was bought as an attacking midfielder and if he is withdrawn any further he could be replacing VDS next season. Fletcher has built a career on getting a game due to Hargreaves being injured and Darron Gibson is Darron Gibson.

As i say thats overly harsh but it doesnt leave much in terms of World Class players. Carrick looks like he really needs a partner. Hes such a great passer but he is neither defensive nor attacking. He isnt Keane-esque in the tackle and he wont pop up with goals either.

Each player individually can lay claim to a place in the team but there is no natural first choice or pecking order.

Man of Honour
No midfield partnership in world football will beat xavi/iniesta/biscuits simple as. Even if you bought modric, sneijder and schweinsteiger, you can't buy messi.

Thats why you don't try to take barca on in midfield, you simply aren't going to win, just find a way to bypass their midfield and you've got a great chance against their not so great defence. Of course, it's easier said than done.

Man of Honour
You have to beat them at their own game. Hercules did it earlier this year in the Nou Camp. They simply closed Barca down better and faster then they did. Or pack 11 behind the ball. Or wait until they get tired which we did. They're brilliant - but by far from unbeatable.

Too many sides bow down to them and give them too much respect. Or fatally, they try to out play them.

I don't know why more sides don't do the 'get in their faces' crap. Heck it's acceptable for Arsenal I don't see why Barca shouldn't have to deal with it. Or perhaps being that they play in Europe and not in England it's something they probably never have to face.

Back
Top Bottom