UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ... Tottenham v Liverpool ... **Spoilers** [1st June 2019]

Don
Tottenham aint exactly set the world alight have they ?

At least Arsenal fans have seen their team win the league on a colour tv.
And now in beautiful 4k you're watching your side in decline and your local rivals, working on a shoe string budget, put you to shame.

Associate
And now in beautiful 4k you're watching your side in decline and your local rivals, working on a shoe string budget, put you to shame.

I'm 54 this year and only seen spurs win minor trophies in that time.

Just remember that Arsenals on pitch woes started when they had to pay off the new stadium aka no money for transfers. Spurs are just starting that journey.

Still celebrating Liverpools win by the way lol :D:D:D:D

Don
Put us to shame? Stop talking rubbish, they haven’t won anything for over 10 years.
And yet they're still a far far better side than Arsenal, regularly finishing above them so yea, they're putting you to shame. On and off the pitch Spurs have well and truly overtaken Arsenal as the biggest club in North London.
Just remember that Arsenals on pitch woes started when they had to pay off the new stadium aka no money for transfers. Spurs are just starting that journey.
No, your decline started when Wenger went stale and your board stopped spending. The stadium was always cash positive and you've had mountains of cash in the bank for years. Spurs have continued to progress and eclipsed Arsenal whilst barely spending a penny for years, due to the construction of their stadium. Moving forwards they're no longer going to be ploughing every penny they have into the cost of building the stadium and the increased revenue from the new ground will cover their debt payments.

Man of Honour
If the stuff about Arsenal having £45m to spend is true, they're in major trouble. Owners clearly don't care.

Caporegime
If the stuff about Arsenal having £45m to spend is true, they're in major trouble. Owners clearly don't care.

Or they do, just about their own bank balance rather than the club?

Liverpool have apparently made over £250m this season alone in TV, marketing and participation rewards, the first club to make over a 1/4 of a billion.

Soldato
And yet they're still a far far better side than Arsenal, regularly finishing above them so yea, they're putting you to shame. On and off the pitch Spurs have well and truly overtaken Arsenal as the biggest club in North London.

No, your decline started when Wenger went stale and your board stopped spending. The stadium was always cash positive and you've had mountains of cash in the bank for years. Spurs have continued to progress and eclipsed Arsenal whilst barely spending a penny for years, due to the construction of their stadium. Moving forwards they're no longer going to be ploughing every penny they have into the cost of building the stadium and the increased revenue from the new ground will cover their debt payments.
Spurs finished 1 or 2 points ahead of arsenal this season? hardly a far better side....

Don
Spurs finished 1 or 2 points ahead of arsenal this season? hardly a far better side....
Unlike Arsenal, Spurs weren't lucky enough to be able to rest players throughout the season because they were making their way to a CL final rather than playing pub sides in the Europa League and still finished above Arsenal despite having a poor League season by their standards.

Spurs not only have a better side than Arsenal but they now have a better stadium, training ground and from this season just gone, they're now turning over more money than Arsenal are too. As I said, Spurs are now the top side in North London and it's shown by posters like Skorpion celebrating Spurs losing the final when Arsenal themselves just lost a final that Spurs were too good to enter. It's classic small club mentality.

Caporegime
We definitely need some new players in the summer but I’ve also heard that Emery wants to get rid of a few players as well.

For me Ozil needs to go, just a waste of wages but not sure who would take him with the wages he wants. Thanks to Wenger we are stuck with a midfielder who just doesn’t give a flying **** anymore.
Mustafi is another useless idiot who needs to go too along with Xhaka.

Just hoping we get rid of the dead weight in the club and buy some decent players at the very least. But it’s looking more likely that we will either buy cheaply and still be stuck with players who we don’t want.

Caporegime
Unlike Arsenal, Spurs weren't lucky enough to be able to rest players throughout the season because they were making their way to a CL final rather than playing pub sides in the Europa League and still finished above Arsenal despite having a poor League season by their standards.

Spurs not only have a better side than Arsenal but they now have a better stadium, training ground and from this season just gone, they're now turning over more money than Arsenal are too. As I said, Spurs are now the top side in North London and it's shown by posters like Skorpion celebrating Spurs losing the final when Arsenal themselves just lost a final that Spurs were too good to enter. It's classic small club mentality.
Lol, so now you think we’re a small club. I think you’re stretching there.

They still haven’t anything for over ten years and I doubt they will in the next ten years tbh. Until they do, then I’ll always consider Arsenal as north London’s top club.

Man of Honour
Considering all the change over the summer it's unsurprising that Unai wasn't given much to work with in terms of cash. I wouldn't say we bought badly, Guendouzi, Torreira, and Leno have all had a decent first season, and Sokratis despite his age has been decent and kept Mustafi from starting which is good enough for me. Long term injuries to Holding and Bellerin (both starters) made matters worse too.

In typical Arsenal fashion we are in for a RB which is the one position we don't really need to strengthen with Bellerin and AMN able to cover. If our rumoured pitiful transfer budget is true then all of that should be going to the best CB we can find to partner Holding.

As for the Spurs v Arsenal chat, the tide has definitely shifted and on current trajectory Spurs will take some catching. We made fun of Spurs fans for years because all they could do was laugh at us bottling finals and getting hammered by big teams, now it seems it's completely flipped. Went to the pub for the Europa final and most of the chants before Chelsea turned it on were about Spurs, laugh at your rivals when you're the better team not when they're playing in the final for a competition you struggle to qualify for!*

*despite how much of a relief it was that they lost :D that does say something about where we are as a club though...

Don
Lol, so now you think we’re a small club. I think you’re stretching there.

They still haven’t anything for over ten years and I doubt they will in the next ten years tbh. Until they do, then I’ll always consider Arsenal as north London’s top club.
The mentality of some of your supporters is what you expect of a small side, yes. And you'll consider Arsenal the top side in North London because you support them but what Spurs have achieved over the last few years has put them in a position where you can justifiably say they're now top dogs and more importantly, they've set a foundation where by in a few years time there could be no arguments to that either. For a few seasons Spurs have had a better side than Arsenal and now they also have better facilities and moving forwards they'll have more money too.

When everyone's accounts are released in the next 9 months or so, I'd imagine that we'll see that Arsenal are now 6th in terms of revenue, behind Spurs and a fair bit behind Chelsea in 4th. Looking towards next season, with Spurs having a full season of their new stadium and Chelsea back in the CL, Arsenal face being cut adrift. Without Russian Rubles, an Arab state or a genius manager, being the 6th richest side in the PL isn't an easy position to be in.

Soldato

Arsenal were gunning for europa as well so its the same as spurs competing for another cup as well as the league.

Fact is, Spurs are as crap as arsenal this season, the stats and table dont lie. They finished barely a point or two from arsenal and MILES behind liverpool and city.

Liverpool played in 1st gear all night and still comfortably beat Spurs.

Spurs this season have been poor.

Don
Arsenal were gunning for europa as well so its the same as spurs competing for another cup as well as the league.

Fact is, Spurs are as crap as arsenal this season, the stats and table dont lie. They finished barely a point or two from arsenal and MILES behind liverpool and city.

Liverpool played in 1st gear all night and still comfortably beat Spurs.

Spurs this season have been poor.
A poor Spurs side still finished above Arsenal and made a CL final, something Arsenal have managed just one time (?), years ago when they were considered one of the best sides in the country and Europe. Not bad if you ask me. Had Spurs been playing in the Europa League and not CL this season then they've have finished a comfortable 3rd, albeit still some way behind the top 2.

The next 12 months is going to be key for Spurs hopes of genuinely establishing themselves as a top side rather than it being seen as a success to finish 4th. They're not likely to see huge financial benefits from the stadium this summer and face the prospect of losing at least 2 key players. It's going to be interesting to see how brave they are this summer and whether they push to boat out to keep Alderweireld and Eriksen or sign top class replacements, or whether Levy gambles on Poch working another miracle next season. Either way, if they get it right and are still in the top 4 in 12 months time then Spurs are set.

Soldato
A poor Spurs side still finished above Arsenal and made a CL final, something Arsenal have managed just one time (?), years ago when they were considered one of the best sides in the country and Europe. Not bad if you ask me. Had Spurs been playing in the Europa League and not CL this season then they've have finished a comfortable 3rd, albeit still some way behind the top 2.

The next 12 months is going to be key for Spurs hopes of genuinely establishing themselves as a top side rather than it being seen as a success to finish 4th. They're not likely to see huge financial benefits from the stadium this summer and face the prospect of losing at least 2 key players. It's going to be interesting to see how brave they are this summer and whether they push to boat out to keep Alderweireld and Eriksen or sign top class replacements, or whether Levy gambles on Poch working another miracle next season. Either way, if they get it right and are still in the top 4 in 12 months time then Spurs are set.

Finishing 1 or 2 points behind a very bad/poor arsenal side who has a manager on his first full season at arsenalvs Poch who has been at Spurs for a much longer time is not good. Arsenal did not have such an easy ride to the final, they Beat Napoli who are a good italian team and beat valencia who beat barcelona in a cup final.

End of the day both arsenal and spurs got nothing from europa/CL and finished soo close together this season and miles away from liverpool and city.

Yes next 12 months will see what spurs can achieve. A very poor arsenal side for the past 10 years have still won more trophies then Spurs who have been finishing above them for the past 3 seasons or more.

I also dont think that them finishing top 4 next season means there set. Far from it when there is 6 teams competing for top 4 every season. Gone are the days where a team will finish top 4 10 years in a row now in the EPL. Anything can happen and i beleve the top 4 will look way different within the next few seasons.

Spurs finishing within 4th next season and then outside of it the following season is valid.

Don
Finishing 1 or 2 points behind a very bad/poor arsenal side who has a manager on his first full season at arsenalvs Poch who has been at Spurs for a much longer time is not good. Arsenal did not have such an easy ride to the final, they Beat Napoli who are a good italian team and beat valencia who beat barcelona in a cup final.

End of the day both arsenal and spurs got nothing from europa/CL and finished soo close together this season and miles away from liverpool and city.

Yes next 12 months will see what spurs can achieve. A very poor arsenal side for the past 10 years have still won more trophies then Spurs who have been finishing above them for the past 3 seasons or more.

I also dont think that them finishing top 4 next season means there set. Far from it when there is 6 teams competing for top 4 every season. Gone are the days where a team will finish top 4 10 years in a row now in the EPL. Anything can happen and i beleve the top 4 will look way different within the next few seasons.

Spurs finishing within 4th next season and then outside of it the following season is valid.

Prior to the quarter finals you were playing pub sides and able to rest players throughout the season. Despite having a far costlier squad, paying far more in wages and the luxury of being able to regularly rest players, you still finished behind Spurs who had a poor season by their own standards. I'll say it again, had Spurs been in the Europa League rather than CL then they'd have ended up finishing 3rd, a fair way ahead of Chelsea.

And by set I meant financially. This summer there's still going to be a few more costs related to the stadium and surrounding areas but once they're no longer taking money away from the squad to pay for that, they'll be in a position to show their financial superiority over Arsenal. In 12 months if we end up with the same top 4 as this season then that would be a massive set back for Arsenal - both Spurs and Chelsea would then be earning significantly more than them, let alone Liverpool, City and Utd.

Back
Top Bottom