UEFA Euro 2024 Group A ** spoilers ** (Germany, SCOTLAND, Hungary, Switzerland)

Good to hear Varga is conscious and hope for a quick recovery. As for Scotland well....... at least you tried. Safe flight home lads.

4 shots on target in 3 matches..... Simply not good enough.

Outclassed, and a seriously negative setup/tactics from the manager across all 3 games.

Very very poor showing from Scotland.

I gave up with football in the 70s and now a massive rugby fan since then. The problem with the Scotland team is they cannot score goals. Glasgow Warriors {Rugby} travelled 9000 miles to South Africa to play in the final of the European Rugby Cup and Saturday. They were losing in the first half With the Bulls but they changed in the second half and won. They got the cup and a very good win. So bad luck to the football team.

Didn't see the knee into the leg tbh. Probably is a penalty.
100% is. Pen and a red, clear as day

Just watched the highlights, for me actually its a good call - not a penalty. He did that trick of sticking out his leg, grabs his shirt and pulls him down onto him.

I appreciate they are given sometimes - I just don't know why he didn't hit the thing.

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights, for me actually its a good call - not a penalty. He did that trick of sticking out his leg, grabs his shirt and pulls him down onto him.

I appreciate they are given sometimes - I just don't know why he didn't hit the thing.
He didnt hit it because his leg was taken out by the lads knee. Its a clear foul and a red, its an absolute stinker of a decision.

Outclassed, and a seriously negative setup/tactics from the manager across all 3 games.

Yeh that stat makes for uncomfortable reading.

I mean 4 shots... not exactly "leaving it all on the park" etc

The pen is one of those that sometimes get given, but never should be. You're allowed to shield the ball, but only if you are in control of it. The Scotland player steps away from the ball to make contact and then drags the defender down.

I know obstruction apparently hasn't been a thing for years but the rules still there

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.
‘Shielding a ball is permitted.
‘A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.’

I can very much see why Scotland didn't get a penalty in the last 10 minutes. Stuck his leg out for whatever reason and that was the catalyst for the contact. You can't/shouldn't be getting penalties for that. Thats the very close cousin of going past the keeper and sticking your leg out to make contact with the keeper. Its cheating. Plain and simple. It shouldn't be rewarded and players need to start to realise that they can't manufacture contact and get penalties.

It says everything that a team that needed to win that had 0 shots on target up to that point decided to try and win a penalty instead of actually shooting. They clearly have no confidence in their ability to put the ball in the net in open play.

I thought that, he deliberately moved his leg to his left so he would get caught by the defender. Not a penalty for me. It's pretty much irrelevant anyway, they would have never progressed much further.

Now for England....here we go again.:confused:

It says everything that a team that needed to win that had 0 shots on target up to that point decided to try and win a penalty instead of actually shooting. They clearly have no confidence in their ability to put the ball in the net in open play.
That's the reality. When Scott McTominay is your top scorer in qualifying then you know you have problems. He's a bang average footballer with a very professional attitude which has allowed him to stand out in a sea of mediocrity and bad attitudes. He's a good lad but that's not enough at the elite level. The problem for Scotland is that they have probably spent more on genealogy, searching for great grandparents of mid level player than they have actually reforming the game at grass roots level and improving the level of coaching in the top league.

Denmark are the closest country to Scotland in terms of population. Realistically that is the attainable benchmark. They are a workmanlike team with no real stars other than Eriksen.
You have to question the manager after this campaign. The defeat to Germany was jarring but not surprising. It need not have been defining if the team had limited the damage and made a contest of it. They submitted, overwhelmed by expectation and tactical instruction.

With hindsight it's easy to reflect on what should have been done but given Scotland's stature, paucity of talent and terrible record surely it would have been better to go out all guns blazing and at least give the fans something to cheer about. Even it is was a moment, like Gemmill, Narey or Collins. Instead we got three performances that barely yielded a moment of genuine excitement never mind a moment of brilliance. Managers like Clarke are dour which is fine if you win but it's infectious in a bad way if you lose. I think he got this tournament badly wrong and should make way for someone else. Instead of which we get clamour for a 50:50 penalty which was about the only half chance we created in 300 minutes of football. I'm sure the lads gave their best but unfortunately that is far, far short of what is required despite the somewhat baffling but more accommodating qualification format.

IMG-20240624-WA0001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom