UEFA Euro 2024 Quarter Finals ** spoilers ** [5th - 6th July 2024]

Man of Honour
We were really poor, I think everyone has just accepted it now and we'll pray we can limp our way to victory, somehow...

Definitely a small improvement on previous games, but that's not saying much.

Soldato
Cagey affairs are more usual and expected as it gets to the pointy end.

At least we improved a bit.

E: Plus we have everybody available for the semis as nobody picked up another yellow

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The same reason it's not Holland Vs Turkey.
Well Holland would be incorrect anyway wouldnt it? Isnt Holland an area within the country rather than the country, so it would be Netherlands v Turkey, rather than Holland v Turkey, or Nederlands v Turkiye if using their own names for their countries.

Soldato
Yeah, was just curious why it was shown as Turkiye rather than Turkey but Germany rather than Deutschland and Italy rather than Italia. Struck me as inconsistent.
Essentially the Turks have formally made it known that that is how they wish to have their country referred to and that wish is being respected. Other nations haven’t made similar requests but it’s something I’d expect to become more commonplace especially in countries with nationalist leaning governments.

Caporegime
Well Holland would be incorrect anyway wouldnt it? Isnt Holland an area within the country rather than the country, so it would be Netherlands v Turkey, rather than Holland v Turkey, or Nederlands v Turkiye if using their own names for their countries.

Holland was the English language name for the Netherlands for hundreds of years. It's all a bit weird isn't it? We still call Germany Germany rather than Deutschland and so on. It's just down to whether the country minds or not, I think.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its Holland, shuv your progress where the sun dont shine.

(Ingerland was a bit $$$$ again)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom