UFC 58 Heads Up **SPOILERS**

Soldato
I thought Penn would go on win after a good first round but Penn did nothing in the next two rounds. He could have did much more but It seemed he just lay back.

GSP knew that he was in a mess and had to give it his all and he did just that. Penn walking into the octagon with the belt looks stupid now.

Well done to GSP and can't wait till he fights Matt Hughes.

The Rich Franklin match was a good battle and I thought he was in big trouble when he got chinned. The crow took some nasty shots and from his face you could say to last till the end was quite an achievement.

Like you said Kev, there should have been more matches and I noticed from the first fight, the matress of the octagon was covered in blood so there was some good bloody matches on before which we didn't get to see.

Associate
Rather disappointed with UFC 58. I was hoping for 2 explosive bouts in Penn vs GSP and Franklyn vs The Crow. Credit to GSP that was some damage he took in round 1 and then fought effectively to win the match. I wish Franklyn hadnt have hurt his hand and just smashed The Crow.

Not been impressed at all by UFC lately, prefer PrideFC by a long way.

Soldato
TBH Pride and UFC have their moments with Prides event back in January which was very average with only one real fight that I liked.

UFC could be much better if they would show more matches over the 3 hours when there actually is about twice as many fights on the night live.

The problem I have with Pride that puts me off a bit is the fact they are in a boxing style ring and the matches are stopped way too early quite often at times whereas in the UFC the refs give the guy a few more seconds to see if they can recover/defend.

The number of matches I've seen were a guy gets rocked and the ref stops the fight. There have been fights for example if Rich Franklin match was in Pride, it would have been stopped long ago and the chance the ref would have stopped the fight when Rich went down.

EDIT: Ken Shamrock once said, its not boxing, it's meant to be fighting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone see the interview with Ortiz, when he started talking about how much he wanted to fight Shamrock again and force him to retire, and that he was sick of his face during the filming of the Ultimate Fighter Season 3? His next fight he'll be taking on the winner of the first Season. I really can't wait for that, and possibly another fight with Shamrock which would be very interesting. :)

Soldato
I was about to mention that. I honestly can't say who will win cause Tito can do the business and Forrest can take some heavy blows and land the blows to knock you on your ass.

TBH, Ortiz would need to win that fight as it would be a killer for him to loose to Forrest and a big dent in any more progress to getting his title back.

Associate
Scream said:
TBH Pride and UFC have their moments with Prides event back in January which was very average with only one real fight that I liked.

UFC could be much better if they would show more matches over the 3 hours when there actually is about twice as many fights on the night live.

The problem I have with Pride that puts me off a bit is the fact they are in a boxing style ring and the matches are stopped way too early quite often at times whereas in the UFC the refs give the guy a few more seconds to see if they can recover/defend.

The number of matches I've seen were a guy gets rocked and the ref stops the fight. There have been fights for example if Rich Franklin match was in Pride, it would have been stopped long ago and the chance the ref would have stopped the fight when Rich went down.

EDIT: Ken Shamrock once said, its not boxing, it's meant to be fighting.

Well really it was Bravo that didn't air most of the fights, not the UFC itself, if you watch the american ppv it's much better.

Generally the UFC refs stop the fights before the pride refs do, just recently however there has been a bit of a turn in this, I think mainly because UFC had some really bad early stoppages that got boo'd to hell, and the pride refs were often allowing fighters to get beaten to a bloody pulp in the past. So, I think Pride have told their refs to stop it quicker and the UFC have told their refs not to be so eager to jump in.

I don't think they would have stopped the Franklin fight tbh. Maybe a year ago in the UFC they might of, but I doubt it, you could tell he was ok.

Did anyone watch Pride 31 the other night, pretty awesome show, but for once I actually had more anticipation for the UFC's event.
The Yves Edwards fight was a real shocker! :eek:

Soldato
Well I was disappointed with both the main fights going to a decision but Franklin cant be questioned now, people were saying its easy what he does too, which p***** him off and rightly so! The crow....meh I think he was doing what he did in evan tanners fight, just waiting for that vital elbow after all he only needed 1 or 2 but you cant rely on that. he looked like he had a new head that cut was so big lol

imo Penn won that fight, although he wasnt that explosive in round 2 and 3 he still kept it going. GSP is a great fighter too though but I think Penn V Hughes would have been a lot better, hughes was happy penn lost....wonder why? ;)

What happened to Tito? - Everyone keeps booing him, its funny how he expected it lol didnt he ask for a huge wage and UFC said no? now hes back though but I have to question that explosive attitude and style he used to have. He got bitch slapped in Coutures fight, tko by chuck, won on points against a crap fighter (cote) and against vito :/ Its hard to say who will win in tito V Forest - will be good

Oh and lol @ shamrock, hasnt he quit yet!??!? The guys gonna die in the ring :/

Soldato
zain said:
imo Penn won that fight, although he wasnt that explosive in round 2 and 3 he still kept it going. GSP is a great fighter too though but I think Penn V Hughes would have been a lot better, hughes was happy penn lost....wonder why? ;)

GSP did all the running in the second and third rounds, throwing Penn to the floor a few times, including a superb slam, so I can't see how Penn did enough to warrant winning either round.

The old Penn would have worried Hughes, but now he doesn't seem to be half the fighter and if GSP doesn't get injured as quickly against Hughes, I think he's got a great chance of taking his title.

Associate
To be honest i can't believe 3 fights took up 3 hours of tv.
why did bravo only show the 3 fights not not show the whole event. I mean there was more adverts then fights!.

The coverage was really bad i feel.

Got this break down off another site that says it all really about the adverts.

For those who are interested here is how the whole 3 hours 'event' was broken down...

22.00 - Show starts (Filler)
22.12 - Commercial Break (5 mins 30 secs)
22.19 - 1st fight (Marquat vs Doerkson) starts
22.32 - Commercial Break (5 mins 15 seconds)
22.42 - 1st fight ends (Thats 42 mins to show a 15 min fight WTF??)
22.54 - Commercial Break (4 mins 56 secs)
23.00 - 2nd fight (Penn vs St.Pierre) starts
23.11 - Commercial break (4mins 40 secs)
23.28 - 2nd fight ends + Commercial break (4 mins 40 secs)
23.45 - Commercial break (4 mins 10 secs)
00.02 - Commercial break (4 mins 40 secs)
00.08 - 3rd fight (Franklin vs David 'the running man' Louiseau) starts
00.20 - Commercial break (5 min 08 secs)
00.38 - Commercial break (3 mins 35 secs)
00.48 - 3rd fight ends
01.00 - Show finishes

So here are the vital stats:

Bravo allocated the UFC a 180 minute block. That 180 minutes consisted off:

-9 Commercial Breaks = 42 mins 34 seconds
-3 Fights = 55 mins
-The rest of Tito Ortiz head & Goldberg sucking Danas balls = 82 minutes 26 seconds

Other than that little moan ,Rich Franklin showed why he is class. I've read he could also have a broken right hand and foot as well as his left hand :eek:

Soldato
Maybe Bravo are being charged loads for it (perhaps paying for each fight shown) and as such only get 3 fights and show lots of ads?
If so, that sucks :(

Soldato
Sutters said:
Well really it was Bravo that didn't air most of the fights, not the UFC itself, if you watch the american ppv it's much better.

Generally the UFC refs stop the fights before the pride refs do, just recently however there has been a bit of a turn in this, I think mainly because UFC had some really bad early stoppages that got boo'd to hell, and the pride refs were often allowing fighters to get beaten to a bloody pulp in the past. So, I think Pride have told their refs to stop it quicker and the UFC have told their refs not to be so eager to jump in.

I don't think they would have stopped the Franklin fight tbh. Maybe a year ago in the UFC they might of, but I doubt it, you could tell he was ok.

If I remember, the UFC refs were quite slow in stopping the fights hence why Matt Hughes recently mentioned that the matches are stopped much earlier than in previous years fights were the refs let the fighters beat them till they physically couldn't respond.

I think the UFC ref's know better when to stop a fight than the Pride ref's.

Associate
OP
Big Kev said:
GSP did all the running in the second and third rounds, throwing Penn to the floor a few times, including a superb slam, so I can't see how Penn did enough to warrant winning either round.

The old Penn would have worried Hughes, but now he doesn't seem to be half the fighter and if GSP doesn't get injured as quickly against Hughes, I think he's got a great chance of taking his title.

If anything, it should have been a draw. Gettting takedowns shouldnt count unless you can atleast do something from them like gain postional advantage, land clean shots. Not get a takedown and rest in the guys guard Thats what I hate about judges, it isnt a wrestling match. If they rate the takedown so highly maybe they should score same points for every take down that is defended against. That said, it was BJ's fight to loose, he just didnt come out and boss the 2nd round. I had Penn winning 2 rounds to 1. But GSP is class, so im not too ****** at the result.

LOL@ crowd booing Tito and then him mouthing F Off. Oh also maybe someone should tell the crow its a fight not a marathon running contest!

Back
Top Bottom