*****UK FIRST - OCZ HDSL IBIS Worlds Fastest SSD's IN STOCK!*****

Soldato
Urgh mental!!!!! I saw the review of these about a month ago and have been waiting for them to come on sale...

Looks too awesome for words! (even the price as its not loads more than the top end c300, which is really really fast in my macbook pro)

Associate
4 x 60gb patriot inferno in raid0 = 240gb
285mb/s x 4 = 1140mb/s read
275mb/s x 4 = 1100mb/s write

cost £399.96 and saving £250.03 off and far better than ocz hdsl ibis ssd because of including trim support and fastest over 1000mb/s !

But, not sure if Raid0 accept 4 ssd's ?

You'd have to get a dedicated RAID card I believe - the intel ICH10R will support 4 drives, but it has an total throughput of ~660MB/s; you can increase this a little by bumping up one of the voltages. A decent RAID card that offloads the processing from the CPU will set you back a packet. You'll also lose TRIM support no matter how you construct the RAID array.

Soldato
got one in my rebuilt i7 rig, going to try and do some benchmarking today (along with the crossfire 6870's inside :D) but currently W7 doesnt seem to be booting THAT quickly :(

Associate
Very interested in seeing those benchmarks and opinions as I am eyeing one of these myself. I would mainly want it to be able to beat these type of benchmarks

Vrap 600 on 3ware checking 256-128mb file lengths
hdbenchmark.jpg

Would very much appreciate a comparison between the above and a IBIS.

OcUK Staff
OP
bad drives imo

4x 60gb patriot inferno would be better and cheaper

No they would not!

4 would be a waste of money!

3 however would be a better solution but then I'd not be buying Patriot drives, no chance.

However 3x OCZ Vertex 2E for sure, but you still won't get the performance of an IBIS as the Intel southbridge can't handle that kind of performance, hence why the IBIS ships with a dedicated a HDSL card.

But I'd never recommend Patriot over OCZ, so if your gonna buy 2 or 3 small drivers I'd still be sticking with OCZ for their support plus out of all SSD manufacturers bar Intel they have more experience and are always pushing the SSD boundaries. :)

Soldato
Very interested in seeing those benchmarks and opinions as I am eyeing one of these myself. I would mainly want it to be able to beat these type of benchmarks

Would very much appreciate a comparison between the above and a IBIS.

Hope this is what you are after - new to benching hard disks:)

OCUK

edit - sorry I cant seem to get image working to google docs/picasaweb for some reason

Last edited:
Associate
That's great Frank, much appreciated, I presume that is the 160GB Ibis in a PCIe x4 slot? Here they are side by side for comparison:

hdbenchmark.jpg

09-November-2010_17-53.gif.jpg

I'm looking forward to other benchies but I was particular interested in this one. You see, my main usage for this drive, if I decide to go for one, would be to run the OS & FSX from it. FSX is very hungry on CPU and random disk read, especially when using many 100GB worth of photoreal scenery, so a major bottleneck always tends to occur one flies over vast photoreal terrain and the disk is trying to access the data. Or so at least I have been reading on some of the FSX forums and it would make sense. I hope you don't mind but I would like to post those results on the FSX forums so the FSX gurus can have a look at them. Like I said, look forward to your other benchies too, especially more random read/write tests and your opinions of this drive so far.

A quick question to the OCUK staff, atm you only stock the 240GB Ibis as the highest volume drive. Will you be stocking any large Ibis drives, I would personally be keen in seeing the price and stock of the 480GB version? (on a side note, I seen the OCZ are bringing out a revised version of the REVOdrive, specs identical to the Ibis but without the need for the HDSL lead, any words on them yet?) Thank you.

Soldato
That's great Frank, much appreciated, I presume that is the 160GB Ibis in a PCIe x4 slot?

Its actually an x8 slot (I have a Gigabyte 58A board with 2*x16 slots & 2 *x8 slots), I found most of the (cheaper) boards with X4 slots couldnt accomodate the HDSL card along with Xfire setups due to x4 slot being between the two X16 slots (ie so no slot available between double header gfx cards)

Yes it is a 160Gb version of the drive

I will happily do some more tomorrow for you - I want to try and work out why my images arent working

Please feel free to use the graphs as you wish:)

OcUK Staff
OP
You make me verry worried when you say that :eek: I bought a Patriot drive, Is it going to disintegrate or imlplode or something lol. But seriously are they that bad?

They are not bad by any means but if the OCZ equivalent is similar money or just a few quid more it has to be OCZ everytime.

Lets remember OCZ were first with the SF based drives, they are also Sandforce's largest customer and OCZ support for their drives is above and beyond anyone else.

So when you see all these alternatives popping up from Mushkin, Patriot, G.Skill, Corsair etc. just don't bother. Stick with OCZ because you won't regret it. :)

Back
Top Bottom