UK Holiday with young children - Centre Parcs?

Soldato
Hi,

Just looking for potential alternatives to the above, we have one 4 year old and a baby so avoiding flying this year and looking for a 5 day break during the summer holidays.

Is Centre Parcs any good? We need to keep the 4 year old entertained and he is already disappointed that we arent going on a plane

Is there anywhere you have been with kids that you could recommend with lots for kids to do?

Centre Parcs is only a 2 hour drive but its expensive and I have this vision its going to be absolutely packed.

Thanks

Associate
The wife and I took our 3 year old to Butlins in Skegvegas back in September. Stayed in one of the posh apartments for 4 nights. Cost us just a smidge over £250. Food was extra as we didn't want to be tied into eating at certain restaurants etc. All in all was a good experience and the little one loved it... keeps asking when we're going back.

Soldato
Centreparcs is great - we’ve done a couple of them over the years and Elveden is my favourite (less hilly). The four year old will be in the pool for hours on end, and you’ll enjoy the rapids and other parts too. Lots of wildlife (squirrels, ducks and rabbits are as bold as brass, and will invade your lodge given half an opportunity) and the shops and restaurants don’t really fleece you any more than a normal retail part would. Downside? The holidays themselves are pretty pricey. We’ve always tried to share with another family to ease the pain a little.

Soldato
Center Parcs is great. Just a bit expensive for what it is.

Agreed. I've only been twice, once in a 6 person lodge and the second time was for a friends 30th so we stayed in the Tree House at Longleat. It's a cool experience but for the price we paid we could've went abroad!

But the facilities are great (private spa was ace) but the outdoor/indoor pools are really nice. Longleat even have a few waterslide rides now too which a good fun as well. I slipped in the pool and hit some scaffolding type of pole when I last went and broke my little toe!

Soldato
If your 4 year old is not in school yet, take advantage of that and go outside school holidays - its hugely cheaper. Off-season is also cheaper if you don't mind gambling with the weather - that's kind of what the pool is for !

Center parcs is very marmite, you either love it or hate it. We loved it when the kids were younger and would still go now they're in their teens. Its generally our back-up option if we can't find anything else.

Soldato
Centre parcs is pretty great, though We only ever went in the winter in the uk. Once our eldest was at school, we found it better value to drive over to the ones in Belgium for a week, rather than a shorter stay in the UK.

Soldato
If it's in the summer why not somewhere by the seaside? I know it's not very fashionable these days but give a kid a bucket and spade on the sand and they'll have fun for hours.

Soldato
OP
Booked Centre Parcs as nothing bad has been said apart from expensive and seeing as though we arent going abroad this year I would rather make sure there is plenty for my son to do so will hopefully be worth it

Thanks for the comments

Associate
We go Monday for the first time, taking our 3 1/2 yo and 4 month.
Cheap as winter and during school term time.
Can’t wait!!

Soldato
You can get some bargain Centre Park deals if you use their last minute site.

Monday 3rd Feb - Friday 7th Feb in a 3 bedroom woodland lodge = £299. With 6 people That works out at £50 per person / £12.50PPPN

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately we had to book end of June due to term time so we're getting rogered but its the same everywhere so not much we can do

Sherwood is where we booked as we're in Manchester so only a couple of hours drive

Soldato
We go to Longleat Center Parcs most years, typically between late March and early June, midweek and not during school hols or bank hols... When it costs far less!

Warminster train station is a short taxi ride away, Lidl next to train station to grab some last minute provisions you forgot.

Lovely campus, no pressure from staff, great local cycling area and Mendips are reachable on a longer ride.

Great for kids as family cars are banned except first afternoon and final morning, staff vehicles are few and far between.

Soldato
We are going to Sherwood Forest next week and it isn't too expensive as we have the largest lodge so per person it works out well, if you go every year they offer a discount off the normal price.

Back
Top Bottom