UK Spouse Visas - Does our government hate us and want to punish us

Soldato
I married my partner of two and a half years this year which was a massive high point in my life. As she is Japanese we're now in the process of applying for a UK spouse visa for her and her two girls to move here. I was hoping that as she's from a rich developed G7 nation, she'd have it easy, but no, she has to go through the same process as people from countries with a higher risk of fraudulent applications, I suppose it's fair and equal though.
I just thought I'd share the process in case it's of any help to people here who may go through it in the future as the actual advice online is thin on the ground. Below is what we need to prove and the documents that we need to prove it.

I meet all the requirements:
  • I'm a British citizen
  • I have a full-time permanent job that pays over the minimum financial requirement
  • I own my own flat so have adequate accommodation
My partner/we
  • Are in a real relationship
  • Speaks English to the required level
All not too bad and relatively simple, some things require a few documents to prove but they're not too hard

To prove I have a right to reside in the UK and prove my identity
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
To prove my income
  • 6 months of payslips
  • 6 months of banks statements
  • Signed employment contract
  • Letter from my employer confirming that the payslips are genuine, my salary, start date and that I'm a full-time permanent employee
To prove we have adequate accommodation
  • Statement from my mortgage provider
  • cover letter from my mortgage provider
  • Copy of my property's title deed
  • Council Tax bill
  • Shared Ownership contract
My wife then needs the following
  • Passport to actually put the visa in
  • IELTS Life Skills certificate
  • Copy of Divorce Certificate together with a translation
  • Family register - to prove she is the parent of her daughters who will be coming as dependents with translation
  • Cover letter - explaining our relationship, how we met, future plans, where we will live etc.

To prove our relationship we have the following, it's a bit more as we haven't been living together apart from a few months when I've headed over to Japan
  • Marriage Certificate together with a translation (we were married in Japan)
  • A Page explaining the timeline of her previous marriage
  • A Page explaining our relationship history
  • A page explaining my wife's previous travel history
  • Selected WhatsApp chat screenshots
  • 20~ photos over 4 sheets showing us together with friends and family at various places and also our wedding photos
  • Scan of my flight receipt/itinerary and my boarding cards
  • Receipts for gifts, hampers, and flowers that I've ordered over the years with the shipping address as my wife's address in Japan
  • Letter written and signed by my parents outlining that we have a real relationship
  • Cover letter written by me explaining our relationship, how we met, plans etc.
Though it's a fair amount of documents, nothing is beyond a little effort to obtain or create.

So far this is going to cost us
  • English test £150
  • Acquiring Japanese Documents £20
  • New passports £50 - old ones had expired
  • Translation of documents £200
  • Visa fee x3 = £4,614
  • NHS Surcharge 1x £1,872 + 2x£1410 (£2,820) = £4,692
  • Biometrics appointment in Tokyo = £60
So in total not far off £10,000 and the current processing time is estimated at 24 weeks!!

The thing that annoys me is that most other countries are a lot cheaper and quicker, for example, if I wanted a Japanese spouse visa the fee would be £35 and I would have a decision in a couple of weeks, I have all the other supporting documents and related costs but I could stomach that. From some very quick research, the USA charges $325, France charges €99, and in Germany appears to be free!
It's obscene how much the UK screws over its own citizens and their families, I could put this money to much better use decorating the girl's bedrooms, as money towards a family-sized car, etc. all things that put money into the economy.

Then there are the rules that don't really make any sense to me, one of which is my wife can't apply for a spouse visa from the UK if she was here on a tourist visa, this would make things far easier if it were possible as we wouldn't be apart, the process would be simpler, cheaper and faster, however, the rule just seems arbitrary, like, what is the practical reason that this isn't allowed?

As far as the actual process goes we've
  • Got most of the documents in place
  • Have filled out the majority of the online application
We just have to
  • Have a final check of our documents and evidence with our immigration consultant
  • Submit the application
  • Pay the visa fees and NHS surcharge
  • Attend a biometric appointment in Tokyo
  • Upload all the supporting documents online
  • Wait!

I'll try to keep this thread up to date as the application progresses or if I need to vent! I have probably missed something so I'll update this post if I remember.

Edit: forgot to mention, the processing time has gone from 12 to 24 weeks because the government is prioritising the influx of applications from Ukraine, which is fair enough, I’m happy for people escaping war to go ahead of me!

Last edited:
Soldato
~£10k for 3 people including an upfront payment for the NHS covering 3 years of healthcare. Seems reasonable to me.

Does the US give free healthcare?

The Visa fee doesn't seem unreasonable either given all of this documentation needs to be checked by someone who presumably is paid a decent salary.

Soldato
OP
I’d say the US is an outlier in terms of healthcare, a better comparison would be a western European country with a social healthcare system.

What are you comparing reasonable to? It seems that most other countries can provide the a similar visa application service for a fraction of the price. I have mo knowledge of the internal workings of the home office but it’d be interesting to know why it’s so much more expensive here, is it just the government arbitrarily setting a high price, inefficiencies, expense of using external agencies?

From what I’ve seen the case officers working on visa applications are on about £12-£14 per hour so a pretty low wage and wouldn’t affect the price too much

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d say the US is an outlier in terms of healthcare, a better comparison would be a western European country with a social healthcare system.

What are you comparing reasonable to? It seems that most other countries can provide the a similar visa application service for a fraction of the price. I have mo knowledge of the internal workings of the home office but it’d be interesting to know why it’s so much more expensive here, is it just the government arbitrarily setting a high price, inefficiencies, expense of using external agencies?

From what I’ve seen the case officers working on visa application are on ahoy £12-£14 per hour so a pretty low wage and wouldn’t affect the price too much

I doubt the government is making profits on visas. It is only appropriate the person wanting the visa pays for that and not the taxpayer. Other countries might be willing to have the taxpayer foot the bill, but the UK isn't. Costs also aren't just hourly pay, nor is it likely to involve only one person. You have to take the total department cost and divide by number of applications.

Soldato
OP
I doubt the government is making profits on visas. It is only appropriate the person wanting the visa pays for that and not the taxpayer. Other countries might be willing to have the taxpayer foot the bill, but the UK isn't. Costs also aren't just hourly pay, nor is it likely to involve only one person. You have to take the total department cost and divide by number of applications.
I disagree, the provision of services to citizens and their families should not be something the government profits from. Comparing the fees from other countries it seems the UK stands out from almost all other developed nations by charging high fees for family visas.

The UK has been openly hostile to immigration for the last few decades and it wouldn’t be a large leap to assume that pricing has been one of the levers it has been using to deter immigration and hit targets to reduce it. Then again correlation is not causation but it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case.

Edit: it does seem that there could be truth in the pricing out poorer applicants, and though the article is from 2019 it does appear the actual costs are far below the fees charged with the government making a significant profit on each application.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never thought about fraudulent marriages to get into the UK until someone I worked with met a really nice guy on holiday.

Seemed to be happy, got married abroad in fairly short order several holidays later. Then there was the issue of getting him over to the UK... heard some odd things and then nothing was ever mentioned again.

Much later and about 4th hand I hear it was all a scam.

The immigration paranoia isn't for nothing but depending on the exact details it can seem overzealous.

Soldato
I did the process 10 years ago. Never again.

Luckily, then, my wife came on the 5 year route to nationality. I’m not sure if now it’s still the 5 year route, or 10.

Caporegime
I disagree, the provision of services to citizens and their families should not be something the government profits from. Comparing the fees from other countries it seems the UK stands out from almost all other developed nations by charging high fees for family visas.

The UK has been openly hostile to immigration for the last few decades and it wouldn’t be a large leap to assume that pricing has been one of the levers it has been using to deter immigration and hit targets to reduce it. Then again correlation is not causation but it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case.

Edit: it does seem that there could be truth in the pricing out poorer applicants, and though the article is from 2019 it does appear the actual costs are far below the fees charged with the government making a significant profit on each application.

Hostile to immigration, yet we have more immigration than most of Europe? Aren't we also like 5th highest in the world for immigration?

Soldato
Using your own link

The principal driver for the increases appears to be pressure on the Home Office budget. The Autumn 2015 Spending Review indicated that the Home Office was aiming to achieve “a fully self-funded borders and immigration system.”

Sounds fair to me. I have no interest in subsidising it via tax.

The article uses the marginal cost of processing an application which is silly. The total department cost is what matters, not the cost of each individual application. Anyone who has run a department or business would know that.

Associate
I don’t see the issue. Yes, it’s a lot of admin, but if it’s legit then no reason it won’t go through. I also think it’s fair that every country gets equal treatment; doesn’t matter where they fall economically.

Other countries might have an easier approach, especially in the EU where they have a more open and standard set of rules, but some areas are suffering because it’s so poorly managed.

Associate
Don't forget that visa and NHS surcharge only covers 2.5 years of the 5 years she needs to be here to apply for ILR. You're in for almost the same amount again (the visa is about £500 cheaper if applied for from within the UK, 2nd time around).

i find the NHS surcharge a bit galling. My wife works for the NHS and pays NI - but we're still going to have to pay up the health surcharge when it's renewal time!

Permabanned
Don't expect any sympathy here in General Xenophobia...
If that's the case it's a good job the forum isn't making the decisions and instead they fall on a government who just had six out of eleven candidates for the party leadership and Prime Minister of very none English appearance.

What predominantly black or Asian country had a list of candidates for the head of government with a majority of white applicants?

Soldato
If that's the case it's a good job the forum isn't making the decisions and instead they fall on a government who just had six out of eleven candidates for the party leadership and Prime Minister of very none English appearance.

What predominantly black or Asian country had a list of candidates for the head of government with a majority of white applicants?
Is that because the six candidates you mention are of Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish appearance?

Soldato

The more topical point to raise is how difficult would it be for OP to move to Japan? I don't know the specifics but they're generally anti immigration aren't they?

The UK is actually quite accepting and tolerant. But as you quite rightly say, the UK isn't GD/X.

Why would you compare to Asian and African countries? Compare like for like, US and Canada. Both have candidates of different skin colour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom