UK Spouse Visas - Does our government hate us and want to punish us

Permabanned
The more topical point to raise is how difficult would it be for OP to move to Japan? I don't know the specifics but they're generally anti immigration aren't they?

The UK is actually quite accepting and tolerant. But as you quite rightly say, the UK isn't GD/X.

Why would you compare to Asian and African countries? Compare like for like, US and Canada. Both have candidates of different skin colour.

I compare my country's ethnic origin prime ministerial candidates with those of black and Asian countries because that's the heritage of the candidates "of colour" in the vote off.

Japan are strongly nationalistic and protect their gene pool rigorously, probably one of the reasons they have a low crime rate and an equitable existence.

Last edited:
Soldato
If only your good lady was Russian and awash with dirty money as I doubt she would have any problems and if she did I suspect a helpful Tory MP will be able to smooth things for her. :D:D

Caporegime
Hostile to immigration, yet we have more immigration than most of Europe? Aren't we also like 5th highest in the world for immigration?

We aren't top 5

South Korea,  Japan, Spain, USA and Germany are all above us.
Japan protect their gene pool rigorously, probably one of the reasons they have a low crime rate and an equitable existence.
Absolute nonsense, see above

Associate
We aren't top 5

There is something to be said for quality over quantity. Germany have big problem with integration.

Would also be interesting to see the numbers as a percentage of population.

Caporegime
We aren't top 5

Absolute nonsense, see above
I hope everything works out for you OP

That's just people staying more than 90 days I believe, their "resident foreign population", aka non-ethnic Japanese people living there is like 2%.

Yes.

https://www.un.org/en/desa/international-migration-2020-highlights

2.5+ million immigrants live in S.Korea as of 2019, the UK - 9+ million.

South Korea sees about 70k immigrants each year, the UK sees 250-300k each year. But sure.

Japan is about 100k.

So I don't see how we get this idea that the UK is scared of immigrants? Or that we don't take any in? When the opposite is clearly true.

(Japans population is also larger, as is there land mass) So unsure where you got your details from?

Caporegime
So far this is going to cost us
  • English test £150
  • Acquiring Japanese Documents £20
  • New passports £50 - old ones had expired
  • Translation of documents £200
  • Visa fee x3 = £4,614
  • NHS Surcharge 1x £1,872 + 2x£1410 (£2,820) = £4,692
  • Biometrics appointment in Tokyo = £60
So in total not far off £10,000 and the current processing time is estimated at 24 weeks!!
[...]

Edit: forgot to mention, the processing time has gone from 12 to 14 weeks because the government is prioritising the influx of applications from Ukraine, which is fair enough, I’m happy for people escaping war to go ahead of me!

Eh? It's not clear what the processing time is, did you mean to type 14 weeks initially too and then accidentally typed 24 or something?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to check identity docs, check they can speak some English and check that you have the means to support them, are employed etc..

24 weeks would be a bit harsh but 12 or 14 doesn't seem too bad.

Your fees seem to be clearly inflated by the fact your fiance is bringing two kids with her too, that's not necessarily the norm I'd assume?

Google says the spouse visa fee is £1033 when made inside the UK or £1533 when made outside the UK, that doesn't seem all that bad either given that you've got to supply a load of documentation for people to take time checking etc. That service ought to be funded by the people making use of it.

Caporegime
if you were a refugee you would be able to do it through unification/ the right to a family life crap and probably would be able to get your whole extended family here.

Caporegime
Yes.

https://www.un.org/en/desa/international-migration-2020-highlights

2.5+ million immigrants live in S.Korea as of 2019, the UK - 9+ million.

South Korea sees about 70k immigrants each year, the UK sees 250-300k each year. But sure.

Japan is about 100k.

So I don't see how we get this idea that the UK is scared of immigrants? Or that we don't take any in? When the opposite is clearly true.

(Japans population is also larger, as is there land mass) So unsure where you got your details from?

I was going by yearly migration stats, not total migrants.

Soldato
NHS Surcharges? Why exactly? My American wife never needed that. The process to be in the UK was a PITA for sure. The process to get me in the states was a freaking nightmare also.

Doing everything legally is a complete PITA unfortunately.

Caporegime
NHS Surcharges? Why exactly? My American wife never needed that. The process to be in the UK was a PITA for sure. The process to get me in the states was a freaking nightmare also.

Doing everything legally is a complete PITA unfortunately.

You usually need to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying for a visa or immigration application:
  • for more than 6 months, if you’re applying outside the UK
  • for any length of time, if you’re applying inside the UK
You do not need to pay if you’re applying for a visitor visa or to remain in the UK permanently.

Soldato
When Japan's second major city is near as damn it predominantly white I'll bother giving your skewed response some consideration :)
Surely the capital city for a direct comparison!

I do sympathise OP, butvI don't think it is unreasonable that there would be a bit of difficulty and expense in what you are doing. You are bringing 3 dependents into the UK. In the event of divorce or your death or incapacity, the state will be on the hook to provide for them. From experience with Japanese family, it is not super easy for Japanese people to get jobs over here that are equivalent to what they could get in Japan. (That is outside of Japanese companies.)

Soldato
I have a mate who has a Japanese wife, similar situation, he did look into moving back to the UK, but they've made it such a hostile environment, even if you're a British citizen, with a well paying job, a home, a married wife and kid.....it's a total **** take.

He doesn't have your patience though, and instead just won't ever move back to the UK.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Hang on your post quotes: "You do not need to pay if you’re applying for a visitor visa or to remain in the UK permanently."

I'm confused as to why @Col_M is saying that he is paying it? Presumably, his wife and adopted kids are coming here for a permanent move?
Hopefully they are but at this stage they're not applying to stay in the UK permanently. They won't be able to do that until they've lived in the UK for five years continuously.

Soldato
OP
Surely you researched all of this before marrying a foreigner with the intention of you both living in the UK? You make it all sound a surprise.
Yeah I'm not the best at writing amd it was late, we knew all this before but I just wanted to highlight it to others who may think of doing the same thing.

Good luck with that, I'm glad they're checking everything. Why aren't you moving to Japan?
A few reasons:
  • I don't speak Japanese fluently
  • As a family, we can earn more money here and be better off, Japanese wages are quite low and I have a good job in London
  • Japanese work culture
  • Gender equality being a few decades behind the west

I don’t see the issue. Yes, it’s a lot of admin, but if it’s legit then no reason it won’t go through. I also think it’s fair that every country gets equal treatment; doesn’t matter where they fall economically.

Other countries might have an easier approach, especially in the EU where they have a more open and standard set of rules, but some areas are suffering because it’s so poorly managed.
Yeah, like I said, it's not actually too hard to put it all together, it's more of a case of letting people know what they're in for.

Don't forget that visa and NHS surcharge only covers 2.5 years of the 5 years she needs to be here to apply for ILR. You're in for almost the same amount again (the visa is about £500 cheaper if applied for from within the UK, 2nd time around).

i find the NHS surcharge a bit galling. My wife works for the NHS and pays NI - but we're still going to have to pay up the health surcharge when it's renewal time!
Yeah, the NHS surcharge is the cost that I don't really have a problem with, it's a fair bit but considering the expense of the NHS it's pretty fair. Yup, we've got it again in 2.5 years.

Eh? It's not clear what the processing time is, did you mean to type 14 weeks initially too and then accidentally typed 24 or something?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to check identity docs, check they can speak some English and check that you have the means to support them, are employed etc..

24 weeks would be a bit harsh but 12 or 14 doesn't seem too bad.

Your fees seem to be clearly inflated by the fact your fiance is bringing two kids with her too, that's not necessarily the norm I'd assume?

Google says the spouse visa fee is £1033 when made inside the UK or £1533 when made outside the UK, that doesn't seem all that bad either given that you've got to supply a load of documentation for people to take time checking etc. That service ought to be funded by the people making use of it.
Sorry typo, I wrote that all then I was half asleep it was 12 weeks and is now 24. the issue is that it only actually takes a few days once they get get to your application, the rest of the 24 weeks is it sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at.

Back
Top Bottom