ULEZ - Ultra low emission zones for central and inner London

Soldato
Another day another new tax.

It seems as though this is actually going to happen. It'll affect those in London who motor into central London but more surprisingly inner London too, inside the A406.

From what I've gathered its £12.50/day for Petrol cars Pre 2000 and Diesel Pre 2012/13. Motorcycles and Vans included.

This will affect me and my 20yo Celica. I travel to work by car inside the North Circ. There goes my intentions of owning anymore older cool cars pre 2000.

Anyone here heard and affected by this? It seems to be a ploy by the government to get older cars off the road. Though it's a bit harsh on people with Diesels not that old.

ULEZ is coming
To help improve air quality, an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will be in place in central London from 8 April 2019. Most vehicles including cars and vans will need to meet new, tighter exhaust emission standards (ULEZ standards) or pay a daily charge to travel within the area of the ULEZ.

From 25 October 2021, the ULEZ area will be expanded to include the inner London area bounded by the North and South Circular Roads.

You can pay the ULEZ daily charge from 8 April 2019. It will be:

• £12.50 for most vehicle types, including cars, motorcycles and vans (up to and including 3.5 tonnes)
  • £100 for heavier vehicles, including lorries (over 3.5 tonnes) and buses/coaches (over 5 tonnes)
This will be in addition to the weekday Congestion Charge and the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) charge and will replace the T-Charge.

IMG

MAP

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-boundary-map-from-25-october-2021.pdf

CAR CHECKER

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

Soldato
OP
I’m not really sure that this is anything other than a good thing. City centre air quality (not just London) is terrible for the most part. Ridding the city centre streets of the most polluting vehicles seems like a good idea to me.

This is what the congestion charge should have been from the off IMO.

The thing is they're not just picking out the most polluting vehicles. Any and every pre 2000 petrol car will be charged. Thus a pre 2000 1.25 fiesta gets penalised, yet a 2001 e39 M5 won't. Its a little too broad brush stroke.

And this will be affecting a significant number of people, I'm surprised its actually happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It isn't based on age (or a specific year) but emissions standards.
Last time I tested a bunch of cars pre 2000 and they all had to pay. Same petrol car post 2000 was fine and exempt.

The fact that an rx8 is exempt yet a pre 2000 1.25 fiesta isn't says it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Depends on what emission standard the manufacturer said it complies with.

Also just because it appears to be the same vehicle doesn't mean nothing has changed. A recent example would be PPFs.

It's pre 2000 for all petrols. At least test it for yourself and see. I think its to do with the fact that co2 is recorded on post 2000 but not pre 2000. Just like road tax rules.

Soldato
OP
When did cats become mandatory? It's probably due to that.
Nothing to do with cats as that was early 90s.

I hear what your saying muon, but it doesn't make sense that a much lower co2 car is not exempt yet a higher one is. One is pre 2000 and the other isn't. Literally all examples. How do you explain that?

Edit. just read your post above. Fair do's.

Back
Top Bottom