Unbuntu changes system clock

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I can't remember what setting I put in when I installed Ubuntu but every time I boot Linux it changes my clock in Windows to one hour earlier than it should be. I'm guessing it is changing the bios clock or it wouldn't affect Windows. What can I do to rectify this?

Do you remember what time zone? I reckon it's the one in Ubuntu that I set incorrectly though, it must be looking at a time server and adjusting as it seems fit.

@jamiemoles: **** it you slaaaaag :D I'll be giving it a go sometime in the future I expect

Not sure what time zone I set it to :) I don't notice it much as I don't boot into windows much, was something like CET (was +1hour).

My timezone in ubuntu seems to be set to "europe/london"

Was getting it on my htpc aswell and missing programs by an hour lol

I think this is because of the differences in the way Windows calculates the correct time, compared to Linux.

Both Windows and Linux get the current time from the BIOS settings, but then there are subtle differences in how they treat the value retrieved from the BIOS. Briefly, Windows always considers your BIOS time to be local time, whereas Linux considers BIOS time to be UTC and it then makes the necessary alterations. If your PC is dual-booting then you need to make sure the BIOS time is set according to what Windows wants, cause Linux is more flexible and can work with either setting, whereas Windows can't.

Have a look at this page for an explanation on how to change it for dual-booting...

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TimePrecision-HOWTO/set.html

Cheers,
Gareth

Welcome on board G, I'll give it a go :)

I installed Ubuntu once before but I managed to break it so I reckon when I reinstalled it I must have set one of the parameters differently. Quite annoying as I use Windows for being serious and Linux for fun and the time is always changing :p

Back
Top Bottom