• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Under Clocked i7 7700k or Default i7 7700t

Associate
This might be a really silly question, but would an under clocked i7 7700k (or i7 6700k) perform identically to a t version of the processor (7700t or 6700t)?

Are the t versions optimised to work at lower speeds that might mean the under clocked version would not perform as good?

Ideally I'm looking for a powerful i7 cpu with low tdp to use as a plex server but the t versions are a good bit more in price, plus the advantage of a K version would be if I decided to use the chip for other things instead of a plex server.

Thanks

Soldato
You can usually achieve lower voltage results than retail "low power" chips when underclocking, as Intel (and AMD) have to go with a baseline voltage that works on every candidate chip. Both will likely have similar characteristics, I'd go with the K personally. Any difference will be measurable in pence per year

Associate
OP
I have been looking at the Ryzen chips too, however for a Ryzen plex server I would have to add in the cost of a graphics card....I know some are cheap but just got so used to integrated graphics with intel.

Also for me at least, Ryzen is very new and I would rather wait till all kinks/optimisations have been ironed out on the new chips....not to mention that would include the motherboards and the memory.

Back
Top Bottom