Under-priced items?

Associate
Forgot to mention:

The UK government isn't avoiding putting on a hefty tax on aviation fuel out of the goodness of its heart (god no). I'm sure it realises very well that what I set out above (planes coming in from abroad with max fuel, refueling at a different airport on the way back if needed) will happen to a sufficient degree that its total tax revenue from aviation tax will fall.

If they could get away slapping a large tax on aviation fuel without hurting demand (i.e. what they do to car fuel taxes), trust me - they would have done it ages ago.

Soldato
Quantic said:
For the service they do, yes. I paid 50p on the bus the other day! That's like - REALLY good value for money.

Same here, I can go for 40p anywhere, and it costs £1.40 to get a 'saver' so I can go on any all day! That's with a discount card thingy-ma-wachamajigger.

Soldato
Rich_L said:
Penny sweets were still a penny 10 years ago! And Space Raiders were 10p and still are!

Either we were getting royally ripped off 10 years ago, or they are under-priced right now :p

Oh, and the trains, if you book in advance, with a young persons railcard...London -> Bournemouth in 1hr 45m for £17 return...I like that! :D

But Fredo bars are now 15p :(

I'm a student so my travel card is £31 for 3 weeks

Last edited:
Associate
Cybermyk said:
The workers

Nonsense, the average UK worker is very well paid.

I, for example, am over payed, as are my colleagues and my friends. I like it but there is no denying I'm paid too much. I don't save anyone's life, I have never built anything, in fact no-one will ever appreciate what I do yet I'm paid well.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
Totally 100% not sarcastic.

It is pathetic that you can travel to the other side of Europe for less than £50, becuase aviation fuel carries negligable amounts of taxation, when it costs £1 a litre to fill the car up with petrol.

Air fuel seconded, tax that and we might stop importing nearly all our food thereby reducing pollution and helping the British economy out a bit.

Associate
Yeah, how is it possible that it's cheaper for Tesco to buy tomatoes from Chile and fly them here rather than for them to be grown in this country.

It shouldn't be possible!

Soldato
Banking is cheap, couldn't believe the fees my Bro paid in Oz for just having a bank account, the pathetic CC they give them and being charged for just normal day to day things.

Buses aren't cheap in all cases, £1.30 for a 1.5m journey here (they have a 'short hop' which is about 1/2 a mile which is 'only' 70p though).

If you use buses all the time though you get a travel card (I'd guess £13 a week here too) and tbh thats not very expensive, you'll never stop spending once you get a car.

I'd be tempted to scrap the car and cycle / bus to work but I'd still need one for holidays and the big cost is in having a car (finance, servicing, tax, insurance), not running it (for me).

Associate
Tesco Value Lemonade I believe is actually being sold for under the costs it takes to make and have it on the shelfs. Done as a "loss leader" to draw in customers to buy other products.

At least it was a while ago!

Soldato
I will say banking.

Most other things on this thread are cheaper everywear else. I would say the supermarkets are cheap but there cheap due to very poor qaulity producte. Compare Asda fruit, veg or fish to what you would buy in france or spain. No contest.

Associate
Please show me where you can travel to the other side of europe (Poland) from the UK for under £50!!!!. Try £180 upwards return, the airport tax is more than £50 alone, Plus getting to the airport (approx £30)and the cost of parking (about £60 for a weekend), and Taxi's at the other end(approx £8).

Apart from the fact that it takes longer, I travel approx 1000 miles from home in the UK to my destination in Poland (Just outside Warsaw) and use about 82 Ltrs of diesel or it costs me under £65 in fuel one way (Fuel is so much cheaper abroad) and I have more than the allowed baggage which would cost me over another £100 on the plane in excess baggage.

So air travel is not necessarily cheaper at all, Oh and the ferry, under £60 return.

But we do have cheaper prices for clothes and electrical goods and household stuff like fittings etc than in Poland, and they typically earn 6x less than we do, so if you think we have it bad, spend some time over there.

Soldato
I have a member in the clan from Poland who we are persuading to come over here

Quoted from him:

1200 a month (after all the taxes) of my money. I won't put it into pounds not to frighten you Laughing . Core 360 system is about 999 to 1099, depends on the store. Premium is about 1749.

(To make us more grateful that we have to pay £1.20 for a return bus fair...)

Basically 1 and a 1/2 months of pay for a Xbox 360 premium.

Also, £51 for Ibiza return. Is that good enough?

Associate
taxi arn't that bad where i am ..either that or buses are way over prices its cheaper to get 3 people in a taxi into town that 3 people on a bus.

ummm hula hoops a pretty cheap :p

Suspended
Perry Barr Cars - Here in birmingham, anytime day or night they take us students anywhere in Brum, there a good laugh, and drive really fast, plus they turn up about 5 mins after you ring em in nice clean quite new cars.

£6 flat rate.

Back
Top Bottom