Understanding the click sound from an onboard speaker

Associate
Hi, me again - and this time I'm posting in the correct area, I think.

I put a post on 2 days ago, asking for help because I believe that my motherboard may be broken but I was looking for a second opinion.

The motherboard (gigabyte b660m) is currently sitting outside of the case on a flat surface. The only thing connected to it is a PSU (Corsair rm550x), the processor and after advice on my previous post, now an onboard speaker too.

This setup has been plagued with an issue, namely that when I turn it on, it seems to work for about half a second before turning off. The PSU has been deemed not to be a problem (unless 550x somehow isn't powerful enough for a single motherboard), so I'm assuming that this is something to do with the motherboard.

When I turn the board on (breaching the gap between the prongs for the power button, or pressing the BIOS button on the board, or attaching the case and pressing the power button there, but I'm detaching everything I can to rule out other items), the onboard speaker makes a single "pop" or "click" sound. I bought a pack of 2 speakers so I tested this on both to ensure one was not faulty. Exactly the same sound on both.

Is there any information that can be gleamed from this? I've tried looking it up online, but there doesn't seem to be much information for single clicks, only repetitive ones and I don't know if that's going to be the same.

Caporegime
Your speakers not meant to make clicks but some series of beeps like in this random video I Found on Youtube.
So it would seem your board doesn't even get far enough along to even give audible beeps before it fails to boot

Last things I can think of are
Changing the battery on your motherboard
Resetting the CMOS
ZdxBDvN.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your speakers not meant to make clicks but some series of beeps like in this random video I Found on Youtube.
So it would seem your board doesn't even get far enough along to even give audible beeps before it fails to boot

Last things I can think of are
Changing the battery on your motherboard
Resetting the CMOS
ZdxBDvN.jpg
thank you. I did wonder if that was the case.

It feels to me like it might be trying to make a beep, but cutting off before it can, perhaps. I dunno.

Unfortunately I believe I have tried both of your suggestions. I know I've definitely done the battery to no avail at least. When I get a chance I'll try out the CMOS but something tells me it's not going to solve the issue either, it's really looking like there's no hope for the motherboard.

I've been made aware of a small influx of money coming at some point this month. Not a lot, but it should hopefully be enough to cover a replacement motherboard and thermal paste, and I can look into selling the board for parts. I really, really hope that that will remove the problem. Well, it has to be. That's the only part of the PC that hasn't been rigorously tested because I don't have the opportunity to do so.

Again, thank you. You've given me a lot of good info and advice through both this post and the other one, and it's at least been able to put my mind at rest that I've done everything I can to fix the issue before spending money on a fresh board.

Back
Top Bottom