• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Undervolting/reducing power draw and overclocking questions

Soldato
OP
Tomb Raider puts more stress on my system than Deus Ex does. Goes up to 80 deg on that (temp limit 81) Ahh yeah i thought i had disabled vsync lol hrmm. It limits to my monitors refresh 60hz. Still both were happy to go up to 1770p (slightly above 1440p) i think though tomb raider went to 43 - 60 fps (everything maxed). But that's odd because benchmarks I've seen for the 1080 amp edition for rise of the tomb raider show AVG FPS around 82 maxed settings at 1440p. Hrmmm. I have Ashes of the singularity will test that later

Last edited:
Soldato
Using a program to cap FPS also reduces temps by a lot by reducing the amount of work the GPU has to do. I usually set mine to 75 since I stop seeing a difference after that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using a program to cap FPS also reduces temps by a lot by reducing the amount of work the GPU has to do. I usually set mine to 75 since I stop seeing a difference after that.

Vsync/Gsync should take care of that automatically.

Whilst I understand the logic behind that workaround, I am against it in principle. Why buy a 1080 and choke back it's performance to 1070 levels with an FPS limiter just to keep temperatures down? Might as well just buy the 1070 and save some cash?

Soldato
OP
I think I will undervolt when I get home.

Also what sort of marks should I be getting in Firestrike and Heaven benches?

It's with an i5 4690k oced to 4.4. and 16 gig 1600mhz ram

Soldato
OP
ohh FFS :(

i shouldve went for a 1070 or kept my gtx980 because tbh this 1080 performs like a 1060.....

Something is wrong somewhere :(

Benchmarking Ashes of the Singularity.

The ballpark fps i should get roughly is:

EXTREME PRESET
1080p = 74 fps
1440p = 65.5
4k = 50.9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/21

I get nowhere near that! :(

Firstly i set everything to stock (cpu and gpu defaults no OC)

1080p EXTREME preset average fps 54.9 :(

106JECE.png

Um5g48Y.jpg

1440p EXTREME preset average fps 44.9 :(

qdpVKko.jpg

lh1G8bn.jpg

4K EXTREME preset average fps 43.6

PySiioQ.jpg

So thinking things could not get any worse..... i thought i would test at 1080p with everything on low or off....

1080p LOW average fps 53 ! :(

Lky0maH.jpg

tHEViIu.jpg

Isquk8H.png

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,15.html

heres another Ashes of the Singularity benchmark just in case the first place was wrong.

I have no idea why it says LIM VOLTAGE because its back at its defaults :(
Yes vsynch is off
No idea why gpu utilisation is never fully utilised ....very bizarre.

My system is a i5-4690k
16 gig 1600 ddr3 ram
on crucial SSD

Im using nvidia driver 382.53 maybe its them? A sliver of hope anyone? :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be that particular game. It could be a CPU bottleneck in that benchmark (see if the CPU hits 100% load when the GPU is sitting relatively low load).

Run a Firestrike test and check for 99% usage.

Soldato
OP
It could be that particular game. It could be a CPU bottleneck in that benchmark (see if the CPU hits 100% load when the GPU is sitting relatively low load).

Run a Firestrike test and check for 99% usage.

The benchmark is GPU focused though?

Firestrike score 14915 (gpu small oc and cpu 4.0)...quite low no? Though i have previously had a higher score 16590 when i overclocked the cpu(4.4) and gpu together

phFKhDY.png

ronyueD.jpg

ArtBCUF.jpg

fkHrRpL.jpg

0hLV3Ek.jpg

last one is CPU test and all the cores seem to be used.

Im not sure why i am getting the limited voltage message because i set everything back to default and then i applied same or smaller oc and also +5 to the power limit (so 105%)

Very odd. When i run Firestrike before i dont get limited voltage message.

Lastly, is it normal when you do an OC that the gpu runs and stays at quite high core base clock of 1683 instead of lowering to a much much lower state when idle or web browsing etc. I thought it was sortof adaptive....only ramps up when needed.

Soldato
The limited voltage message is normal, I wouldn't even be paying any attention to that.

What you're looking for is 99% GPU usage with Vsync off. You want to see your CPU sit around 40-70% max. Temperature we already discussed.

Is the first % value on your overlay the fan speed or CPU usage? I would uncheck fan speed info for overlay as it's irrelevant.

Try a. couple of games with Vsync off and make sure you're getting the high GPU usage and low CPU usage.

The high clock on idle issue you're talking about can be caused by 3d apps e.g. Google chrome being open.

Soldato
OP
The first value is gpu usage. wait no EDIT ***** turns out that is gpu power.
The third value is gpu usage

I dont know why you say limited voltage is normal ? It shouldnt be happening at stock nevermind oced surely? I see a lot of the time gpu power varying wildy between 83 - 101%

I upped the power limit by +10 and the voltage by +10% but i still got the limit volt message. I ran another firestrike albeit with a little bit more oc. +129 on the core clock and cpu clocked to 4.1 (im not sure whats going on there because i tried to up it more like i had yesterday using the multipliers in the asus cpu utility and i got a bluescreen of death but it restarted ok) so anyway got a score of 15643 which i know is **** but i dont blame my gpu anymore because the graphics score was 23597 which is average for a gtx1080.

I have shadow of mordor, dying light and alien isolation i will try running them and see what i get (they are sometimes used for benching) But i've basically started to accept my kid...sorry i mean graphics card just isn't a world beater just around below average and i dont even mean silicon lottery as its ocing to decent level. Its just not as powerful as i thought. Its gonna have to impress me a lot in those games to make me change my mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dying Light Maxed 1440p 106 - 163 fps not too bad at all :)
Dying Light 4k 70 - 90 fps which i was surprised at.

But these are only 1440p/4k renders as i dont have a 1440p/4k monitor. Nice to know i can run it....however at 4k my gpu heat goes up to a scorching 90 degrees jeeezz. I thought i had the temp limiter on at 85 as well lol. But then i have fps headroom to play with there so could afford to reduce the power to reduce temps if i lose 10 fps then thats still 60 - 65 minimum at 4k maxed.

Will do shadow of mordor tomorrow as its a 42 gig install.

Looking back at the Deus Ex MD bench and reading about how notorious it is for low fps i think i did alright (everything maxed 1440p 60fps except msaa and CHS)

I think the thing holding back my pc is the cpu..and the i5 4690k was cutting edge when i bought it....not many games used all 4 cores back then.

edit: Alien Isolation runs easily on everything. 200 fps basically. Still scary as **** though :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hrmm looks like i was worrying over nothing. Back to being impressed again haha. Though my cpu is looking old in the tooth.

Shadow of Mordor on ULTRA (everything maxed)
1080p avg fps 148. max fps 241 min fps 54
2160p/4k avg fps 53 max fps 82 min fps 40

Back
Top Bottom