• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Undervolting RTX 3000 series.

Permabanned
I noticed my card hitting up to 1.085v at 2055mhz, this incurs a performance penalty due to power limits.
So I have run a curve on MSI AB and now it only hits 1.035v at 2010mhz maximum fluctuating between 163-210 watt before hitting 244 watts, fully stable in FC6, the only thing is this is not a tuned setting, I don't know how far the core clock can go at lower voltages.

I am running an RTX 3070, what are your findings those who own RTX 3000?

Last edited:
Associate
Still experimenting with my 3090Ti but presently I'm at .950 @ 1995 (+1300 on the VRAM) for around 308w.

*Edit* .925 @ 1995 for 299w.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Still experimenting with my 3090Ti but presently I'm at .950 @ 1995 (+1300 on the VRAM) for around 308w.

Have you benched both stock and undervolt and if so, how much of a difference in both power in FPS are you seeing? Asking as I think this is what we will all be doing come next gen. My 3080 is running .9 @ 1920 for ~300W.

Associate
Have you benched both stock and undervolt and if so, how much of a difference in both power in FPS are you seeing? Asking as I think this is what we will all be doing come next gen. My 3080 is running .9 @ 1920 for ~300W.

The core frequency is the same as stock (1995) but the 3090Ti holds it steadier when undervolted 'cause it's not generating as much heat (it'll start to reduce frequency once the temps get past around 68 degrees - with the undervolt it never gets above 62 degrees) - the FPS are a little better due to my 13% VRAM OC. Stock, the peak voltage I've seen is around 460w, undervolted, it's been around 100w less.

This is uncapped of course, with VSync turned on, the card doesn't have to work as hard and uses less power (depending on the framerate).

Associate
Are there any risks to doing this? Or do you just get crashes and restarts if you go too far?

You're risking system instability whenever you run your components out of spec - when undervolting (or overclocking) your GPU, common signs that you've gone too far are on-screen artifacts (I see this most often when OC'ing VRAM), application/game crashes (when the GPU isn't getting enough voltage to maintain its core frequency) and the occasional total lockup (black screen, needing a forced reboot).

Whenever these happen, I revise my settings and try again. I've never seen this cause any harm to the hardware, but if you're forced to reset your PC, it could corrupt Windows or other files that haven't finished being written to disk. The best approach is to make small, incremental adjustments; test them until something looks wrong then back off a bit.

I've been using Cyberpunk to test my undervolt - it's very sensitive to overclocking/undervolting and will usually crash within 30 minutes or-so if there's something not right - if Cyberpunk works OK then I use MSI Kombuster's FurMark artifact scanner to check the VRAM's behaving as it should.

Associate

I am around about 2160mhz @350w thats on teh 3090ti strix. The msi Suprim 3090ti I have hates even running the power limiter at 90% and throws it rattle out of the pram. While the strix while you can overclock or underclock up or down it doesn't really care

Associate
Are there any risks to doing this? Or do you just get crashes and restarts if you go too far?

Thanks

As others have said, there are no real risks. Certainly to the hardware, if you kept crashing you could cause software corruption to the os etc but even that's unlikely.

Unfortunately most PC hardware has minimal headroom available, so you'll find you'll get more out of it by undevolting.

I'm running at .850 at 1860MHz on a 3090 Strix OC.

Associate
I am around about 2160mhz @350w thats on teh 3090ti strix. The msi Suprim 3090ti I have hates even running the power limiter at 90% and throws it rattle out of the pram. While the strix while you can overclock or underclock up or down it doesn't really care

Huh. That's weird - you'd think being binned silicon that there'd be some consistency (I supposed it depends on what they were binning for).

On my Suprim X 3090Ti I settled at 70% power limit, 0.925mV and +1050 on the VRAM - that gets me a 1% drop in performance vs. stock for a 130w reduction in power usage (core is 1995, peaks around 318w - only 18w more than my OC'ed 3070).

Soldato
My INNO3D 3070 Ti was terrible for heat and fan noise running at high 70s with loud fans. Under volting helped but in the end I bought an INNO3D 3080 instead and this was much less stressed and noticeably faster.

I don't think the silicon INNO use is particularly good as neither GPUs would OC much and they are power limited anyway so I tried UV on the 3080 instead.

Currently running the 3080 .900 mV @ 1935 MHz via the Afterburner curve editor. This has dropped the power usage somewhat (~300W) but not that much and the GPU was already running at 65 C in most games anyway. I should try a little lower I suppose but the system is already very quiet with the 12700K CPU running at 55 C in most games via a Kraken X63 AIO with all fans barely audible. +400 MHz on the RAM for now.

Associate
Huh. That's weird - you'd think being binned silicon that there'd be some consistency (I supposed it depends on what they were binning for).

On my Suprim X 3090Ti I settled at 70% power limit, 0.925mV and +1050 on the VRAM - that gets me a 1% drop in performance vs. stock for a 130w reduction in power usage (core is 1995, peaks around 318w - only 18w more than my OC'ed 3070).

I guess it varies from gpu to gpu. The strix althoug blazingly fast and super overclockable and underclockable has terrible coil whine. I also noticed Linus one also has terrible coil whine as well. A little coil whine doesn;t bother me but this beyong what I am willing to put up with. I guess I could get a replacement card but I see it as either not as overclockable or quite a large number has coil whine.

As for the Suprim X I mean it does what it say it does on the tin. Sure I got unlucky as it not a great clocker or underclocker but then it doesn;t sound like a cat being put through a mincer the moment any time of game rendering is needed aka strix.

Permabanned
OP
My INNO3D 3070 Ti was terrible for heat and fan noise running at high 70s with loud fans. Under volting helped but in the end I bought an INNO3D 3080 instead and this was much less stressed and noticeably faster.

I don't think the silicon INNO use is particularly good as neither GPUs would OC much and they are power limited anyway so I tried UV on the 3080 instead.

Currently running the 3080 .900 mV @ 1935 MHz via the Afterburner curve editor. This has dropped the power usage somewhat (~300W) but not that much and the GPU was already running at 65 C in most games anyway. I should try a little lower I suppose but the system is already very quiet with the 12700K CPU running at 55 C in most games via a Kraken X63 AIO with all fans barely audible. +400 MHz on the RAM for now.

I don't know why they even released the 3070 Ti it is barely faster than the base model and consumes way more power.

Associate
I've set my curve at 850mV max @ 1850MHz and it is rock stable. This is on a 3080 FE and it makes a huge difference; 220W at max load vs 300W. All for just 5-10% reduction in performance, if that...

Back
Top Bottom