Uneven Tyre Wear BMW 330i

Associate
I've just replaced the two front tyres on my E93 330i and the inner edges were both worn. To a concerning level compared to the majority of the surface which was 3-4mm across the outer 80% of the tread.

Having never turned the wheels full lock to check this I was more than a bit surprised. I'm planning on new suspension bushes and shocks anyway, followed by a 4 wheel alignment, but the tyre fitter stated he sees this on a lot of BMW's. He said it was because they are designed to travel at higher speeds in Germany, therefore pressing down on the car harder and levelling out the camber.

I really don't think that can be the case but a quick googlefu suggests that my car is not the only one with this phenomenon.

Anyone else able to shed some light on this?

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the nonsense that tyre fitters come out with. :p That's a new one for me though!!

Goes without saying, but it's absolutely nothing to do with that.

The suspension on E90s generally wears really well compared to the E46 gen cars, but doesn't hurt to get it checked. What it likely needs is a proper hunter alignment, and tyre pressures at the correct level. It's probably not even the camber that's caused it - excessive toe causes 10x more wear than excessive camber.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Those were pretty much my thoughts exactly.

When I bought the car it had lowering springs fitted which absolutely ruined the ride. I fear it has also ruined the shocks. I had the springs replaced with OEM.

The car is now approaching 80K miles so I'm going to fit new suspension bushes and shocks, and have the 4 wheel alignment done.

Thank you for the input. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom