Uni Students - What percentage does an end of year test account for?

Soldato
If you're on BSc Computing and IT your module result will be the lower score of either your TMA average or your exam. TMA average is weighted though so EMA is worth more than TMA. It sucks in one module I got an average of 88% in my TMAs and scored a Grade 2 pass for my 63% (iirc) in my exam.

Soldato
I would have been overjoyed to get 70% in anything at uni...it was only getting about 70% in my dissertation that prevented me only achieving a pass...I ended on something like 49.6%, which was kindly rounded up.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure you haven't confused things here, IIRC it doesn't count 50% towards your final module score, generally people score quite highly on coursework, under their old system (presumably still in place for some modules) coursework scores only serve to potentially limit your grade (it is sort of an incentive to make sure to complete it all), under the newer system in place for some modules you simply have a min amount of coursework to complete and an average mark to achieve. In either case your module grade is down to your exam performance. (I might be completely off the mark here, have looked at OU maths modules before, might be different for yours).

At a regular university it varies depending on the module - could be anything from purely down to the exam through to 100% coursework. It can be quite common for say a CS module to be 60/40 exam/coursework or 50/50 and for a stats module to be more like 80/20 or 90/10 and for a maths module to be 100% exam.

Sorry, you are correct, it doesn't work like that.

More specifically...

3 x coursework (normally weighted at 33.3% each) = e.g final overall score of 85% (distinction)

1 x Exam = I can achieve 85% and get a distinction, but whatever grading I achieve on this test will be the total grade for the module. So if I achieve 70% and get an upper second grade, that is what I get for the entire module.

If that makes sense!

Soldato
OP
On my Computer Science BEng course at UoB, the exams in the third year accounted for roughly 30% of the marks for that year.

This obviously varies depending on the exact ratios for each unit you do, and I chose units based on their weighting to minimise the exam weighting.

I'd say it's more because you chose to do a BSc when what you would have preferred is a BEng.

To be honest, I am happy with studying towards the BSc - especially because of I didn't really have much of a choice to not choose the OU due to having no A-Levels. I am still confident I will do well, just need to do better next year.

Associate
I graduated in 2015, each year was weighted as below:

Year 1 - 10%
Year 2 - 30%
Year 3 - 60%

Each years weighting was entirely dependent on the modules, for example, in my first year, I did 8 x 15 credit modules, some were 100% coursework, some were 50/50, some 70/30 etc. 2nd year I did 4 x 30 credit modules, one of which consisted 100% of exams, one was 100% coursework, the others mixed. 3rd year I did 1 x 45 credit module, 1 x 15 credit module and 2 x 30 credit modules I think, again, all a complete mix. The final grade also wasn't necessarily final and you could ask for a review, for my specific course, your dissertation, if at the higher grade put you in a good situation to be upgraded if you were within 3% of a higher grade, but I also heard of things like if one or two pieces of work were at a much lower grade than your average, they would consider not including these grades etc.

Caporegime
1 x Exam = I can achieve 85% and get a distinction, but whatever grading I achieve on this test will be the total grade for the module. So if I achieve 70% and get an upper second grade, that is what I get for the entire module.

If that makes sense!

Yeah that makes sense. I don't think it is particularly unfair that it is down to the exam per say(at least in the case of most modules/subjects - obvs some will make more sense to be 100% coursework with no exam), most people can get high grades on problem sheets, coursework etc.. and it is a distance learning institution.

What I think is perhaps a bit off in the case of examined modules and this system where the final mark is basically down to your exam score (in most cases) is that in a minority of cases the coursework/problem sheets could serve to limit you - different part time students have different circumstances, health, work, family etc... while extensions etc.. can manage some things missing a piece of coursework or only partially completing it can end up limiting the grade even though the module mark is otherwise down to the final exam. I think for some new or updated modules they've moved to a new scheme where the coursework is just formative assessment albeit with some min requirements i.e. you must hand in X out of Y bits of coursework and achieve an average overall make of a pass then your final grade is completely down to the exam.

Caporegime
I'd say it's more because you chose to do a BSc when what you would have preferred is a BEng.

I'd assume that is potentially a bit arbitrary in some of cases, especially if the degree course is still called Computer Science. I guess it perhaps depends on whether there is also a Computer Science BSc offered by the same institution.

At some places you might get a BEng/MEng course offered in "Software Engineering" and a BSc/MSci course offered in "Computer Science" for example.

Back
Top Bottom