Unidentified Network

Associate
I just tried to change the firmware on an old router i had so my parents can use it at there house (a Thomson tg585 v7). I unplugged my Internet connection then plugged the router into the laptop and run the firmware update wizard. (which failed due to some of the old firmware not liking the new firmwear for some reason.) but then i unplugged the laptop from the router then plugged the laptop back into the outer router with an Internet connection. The computer wouldn't connect to the Internet and it said unidentified network in the network and sharing center. after about an hour of fiddling i gave up trying and thought id go back to getting my old router to work, so i plugged in my laptop into my parents router and looked for a solution to update the firmware. i came across another firmware uploader so i tried that one. so i plugged my laptop into the old router and ran the program. it failed again so i plugged my laptop back into the the other router to get Internet.... but it failed the exact same way as the other laptop did. after a while of being frustrated changing just about everything i knew how to and resetting properties sever times i gave up and went to my neighbours to gain access to the Internet. I tried to join there wireless but then this got the same error as the LAN connection did. so now i have no idea what to do!!!

What happens exactly is the laptop connects perfectly to the router and i can access the router but it fails to get an Internet connection off the router.

Please help!

Associate
I've experienced this problem on two laptops recently. The solution I found was to manually set an IP for each laptop that's within the allowed range set on the router. This solves the issue but is a pain if you move networks regularly as you may have to re-set an IP (or change to automatic).

Associate
OP
For anyone thats interested. After several hours i managed to resove the problem. i uninstalled are the protocalles and servises on all adapters including ipv6 (not ipv4). then reinstalled them all (you have to remove ipv6 with cmd). After this both laptops worked fine again. It seemed that ipv6 had messed up and was making dhcp function incorectly.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom