Unifi AC Pro vs TP-Link RE650

Associate
Hi All,

I have my eye on the Unifi AC Pro but have also come across the TP-Link RE650 which is a wifi extender but can be used as an access point connected with an Ethernet cable directly to my router. http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_RE650.html#overview

Would someone be kind enough to tell me if the RE650 is better spec'd than the AC Pro on paper?

Here is a direct link to the RE650's specification page http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_RE650.html#specifications

The RE650 has a 880MHz Dual-Core CPU as well as Beamforming MU-MIMO technology and is faster on the 5GHz band at 1733Mbps.

I can't seem to find any information on the specs for the AC Pro regarding CPU information.

I would be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Kind regards
Antonio.

Soldato
As a user of a AC Pro and like many people in here they are great products. I didn't even bother looking at the tp-link because ubiquiti have been doing a great job and they are highly rated.

Without looking at specs I would go with the unifi because the management of them is so easy with the controller, updates are fast and stable, the product just works without ant fuss.

Also the AC Pro is classed as an enterprise device which means straight away it will be better, where as tp-link market heavily in the home user space.

Soldato
Also the AC Pro is classed as an enterprise device which means straight away it will be better, where as tp-link market heavily in the home user space.

It’s Enterprise only because it can run LOTS of APs off one controller. If you speak to most Enterprise IT people, they won’t use UBNT because it’s not considered to be in the same league as Cisco Meraki, Juniper etc. When they are spending the blue-chip dollars, they fall back on stuff that is released on true release firmware and that doesn’t need a weekly update to get the bugs out. You’re running the AP-AC-Pro and that’s fairly stable now, but if you look at the forums about the AP-AC-SHD, it’s not really a fully resolved product yet. But it’s been out for almost 4 months. And don’t even think to mention the US-16-XG to Enterprise customers. TP-Link make plenty of seriously good networking kit. It’s easily as good as UBNT.

Associate
I picked up an AC Pro a few weeks ago and it's a fantastic bit of kit, we now get a solid WiFi signal all over the house and I don't even have it installed in an optimal position yet (plan is to install in the loft, currently have it sitting on a shelf in my bedroom).

Associate
I have an AC-Pro too and it’s great Wi-fi all over the house. I had to use an old router as an access point in 3 different locations to get full coverage but the Pro covers it all.

Soldato
I really cannot fault the Ubiquiti units at all. I have one of the LR devices and it covers the entire house without much of an issue. It also gives quite good coverage in the garden. I am considering one of their outdoor units to install at the bottom of our garden just to complete outdoor coverage.
Just love them - I always point anyone who asks about "better than the ISP supplied" WiFi to these.

Back
Top Bottom