University - changing/reapplying to different university/course

Soldato
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has swapped courses and universities after completing a first year and could advise me.

I've asked tutors but without a suitable resolution. Never answered my questions.

I am currently taking a hiatus from my current university where I am studying 1st year Physiotherapy. I will have to retake the year in 2019.

However, due to difficulties and personal reasons I am in the process of applying for Occupational Therapy at a different university.

This requires a personal statement as my prior application.

The problem I am having is understanding whether I can use my last personal statement as a basis because the reasons for applying and my difficulties have not changed. The course is very similar so a lot still applies.

On the UCAS website it mentions that a prior application is not subject to the plagiarism check if I am reading the statement correctly. The personal statement will be different but experiences will be similar and I do not want it to fail before I start.

Caporegime
You can self-plagiarise and it attracts the same penalties as "normal" plagiarism.

Yeah true, though that is more like handing in say largely the same essay for say two different modules say etc...

In this case he's making an application and lots of the personal statement he already wrote basically still applies, though he perhaps needs to change a little bit to explain why occupational therapy etc.. rather than physical therapy.

Can you contact UCAS OP?

Also do you not have the option to change courses at your current university without needing to re-apply?

Associate
I've just googled that and find that pretty crazy it exists. Why should you not be allowed to use the same content for a different content.

Sometimes I spent weeks on pieces and I think it's a shame only one person is ever going to bother reading this when I've put so much work into it. I understand I guess it is to encourage new material but it must also hinder some great materials ever being exposed.

Soldato
OP
Can you contact UCAS OP?

Also do you not have the option to change courses at your current university without needing to re-apply?

I've tried contacting UCAS - emailed them but they'll only reply if it's about applying for college apparently. If I ring them I might get a different answer, however Christmas time so nobody about currently.

They do not do this course at the university. It was 1st year of physiotherapy.

Edit - and I have adjusted it to reflect the new course, a lot of the same qualities which still apply.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've just googled that and find that pretty crazy it exists. Why should you not be allowed to use the same content for a different content.

Sometimes I spent weeks on pieces and I think it's a shame only one person is ever going to bother reading this when I've put so much work into it. I understand I guess it is to encourage new material but it must also hinder some great materials ever being exposed.

Not that relevant to a personal statement, but each piece of work submitted must be unique and not previously submitted to your own or another institution. It's the same across academia - not just for students, i.e. you can't submit a paper to a journal if it's already been published elsewhere (although it's surprising how often that happens, especially in the lower quality journals). You can of course re-use references and paraphrase previously written work, but it should show an advancement of understanding.

This is from Lancasters assignment submission page for example:-

I declare that this submission is my own work. I have not submitted it in substantially the same form towards the award of another degree or other qualification. It has not been written or composed by any other person and all sources have been appropriately referenced or acknowledged.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Depends in the Institution and therefore re-using/recycling your work may be fine.

I don't know of a single UK University of HE college where reusing your work would be fine - it goes against the core academic principles that HE is built upon - the QAA would certainly have something to say about it if it was found during any audit.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. I'll get in touch with the new university as no one has done it.
As deadline is 15th January I was hoping to have an answer.
My old university is crap for advise. I'm waiting on my reference from my tutor as I want to see it before they do it.
6 weeks+ later I am still waiting after they said they would do it tomorrow (start of November). I have reminded them twice. 3 weeks ago it was nearly done.... Nothing since. So I copied in their boss on my last email.
Seriously if this is university life and every university is the same, I am bitterly disappointed because they make the simple things like timely communication and punctuality so hard and unprofessional.

Associate
Finished my first year and transferred to another university for my second year. Main advice I was given by a friend who's a teacher was to state why you want to join the new university. Say how it will help you without having to point out the drawbacks of the current University. So saying that "Joining your University will be beneficial for my future as your course offers these modules etc..."
I ended up doing a new personal statement for the transfer in my case.

"I am keen to move to a more challenging environment at a new institution that will facilitate a much deeper understanding of business in an international context. The modules I have studied in my first year – along with the respective percentage scores – include Business Statistics & Information Technology at 82%; Economics at 70%, International Marketing at 68% and Organisations and Entrepreneurship at 60%." - A line from the opening paragraph of my personal statement

I got a First overall for my first year which helped my case.

I was originally doing International Business, ended up switching it to Accounting. So far so good.

Soldato
When I changed university I used my old personal statement as a starting point, but altered/improved it :)

Edit: OP, if you're about to leave/join Loughborough (noticed you're in Leicestershire), drop me a trust; I study there so always good to have a contact in the area :)

Back
Top Bottom