Unlocking iPhone SE

Soldato
Hi folks, bit of a dilemma here. Have an old iPhone SE that was on an O2 contract. I'm looking to give it to my brother who uses a simcard from the Philippines. I've rang O2 to get it unlocked and they said it would take 3 working days to complete.

My question is, if I put a non O2 SIM(possibly 3) in 4days time before giving it to my brother. Can he just pop out the 3 SIM and put his own SIM card in(non 3)?

I thought I read somewhere before that iPhones lock to the first SIM that is used on it. Which defeats the purpose of getting it unlocked?

Associate
Once O2 unlock it and you get a signal with a Three sim that will be it unlocked forever.
The lock to first network is a carphonewarehouse thing for brand new iphones.

Associate
Pretty much that as what o2 has to do is send the IMEI number of the phone to apple to get it added to their database of iPhones that are unlocked and once that is done, the procedure to complete the unlock is to use a SIM card from a network that isn't the one it is locked to (including MVNOs that use the same network) with it connected to the internet (preferably by wi-fi as that won't cost anything) and you should then get the notification that the unlock is done.

Originally, only iPhones purchased directly from apple came unlocked and those purchased from other stores would lock to the network of the first SIM card used in it (for MVNOs it would be the network that they are using) and would require contacting that network to get it unlocked.

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps. Was told it will take 3 working days but got confirmation last night. Had to get it connected to iTunes with my 3 SIM. Phone on its way to my bro now.

Back
Top Bottom