Unmanned drones, the future of warfare.

Permabanned
I think Terminator is becoming a reality.

The pace of drone development is accelerating as fast as ever. Just look at what our smartphones can do now.

In the next 10 years, I bet we will have very small drones that have ranges of thousands of miles. What's stopping countries having plain anonymous drones flying at city level in other countries, spying, logging and you couldn't rule out remote assassinations that couldn't be traced.

How we are used to helicopters and planes flying over at high altitudes, I bet the next generation will be used to see small drones whizzing past at low altitudes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20JCGDwBt7A

Last edited:
Soldato
Batteries are going to be a problem for those little ones but certainly nothing stopping bigger drones keeping tabs from the air 24/7.

Soldato
The drone age is booming at the moment. Very clever tech, anything that gets frontline soldiers information on the ground or what they could be walking in to is good, some carry weapons also, although I have a feeling that soon the opposition may start using similar technology with the intent to kill

Soldato
I think they already are. I guess one day they will be able to locate anyone and locate all flow of money just at the push of a button.

Soldato
Hydrogen fuel cells = win

Agree, drones are probably used more than we realise for common problems that we take for granted but post significant risk to humans.

Soldato
Difference between amateur UAVs and commercial drones is massive. I hate it how people treat them the same.
Also that video has a lot misinformation, my "drone" weighs about 800 grams. No where near 100 pounds lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much to build one of them in that thread? Just reading through now to see if anyone has listed costs, wouldn't mind a new project but can't be an expensive one

Soldato
How much to build one of them in that thread? Just reading through now to see if anyone has listed costs, wouldn't mind a new project but can't be an expensive one

It's still pretty much the same price as when I did mine, around £200 minimum. Excluding transmitter system.
Ardupilot 2.5 is £140 including the gps unit, I think that's the best board around now. A total system with that board, you are looking at £250.
£40 on motors
£30 on speed controllers
£140 on Ardupilot 2.5
£10 battery
£30 frame

Electric planes are so cheap atm due to hobbyking uk. The bixler foamie is on hobbyking ARF for £40 with motor included. Well made model, pretty good bargain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ground based drones could be fun in future

some sort of robotic spider thing fitted with a gpmg would be pretty cool.... let it out of the patrol base at night and go insurgent hunting with the operator sitting (relatively) safely behind the wire.

even better if it could dig itself it in somewhere - watch vulnerable points etc...

Soldato
how about one with more range? - are they illegal in England at all?

Nope.
UK law is pretty liberal for FPV/Drones due to a hobbyist lobbying group who have been working with the CAA and BMFA. It's actually now becoming the most liberal country when it comes to UAV and commercial use is legal but you have to apply to the CAA.

Permabanned
What's stopping countries having plain anonymous drones flying at city level in other countries, spying, logging

It's not what happens in other countries that concerns me, it is what will happen in this country.

The US has purchased a large number of these drones for monitoring its own citizens, the UK will follow suit I'm sure. So instead of expensive Police helicopters, you'll see drones hovering over city centres every evening.

Effectively mass surveillance of the populace by the back door.

Caporegime
I don't see domestic use necessarily being a bad thing if monitored/regulated properly - depends on the situation and how intrusive they are really...

In terms of general drones to replace/compliment police helicopters, CCTV in public places I think this is a good thing...in fact they could potentially be very useful - this for example:

multiple cameras, tracking of objects etc... resolution isn't too great* but it covers a wide area and could certainly replace/compliment some of what a police helicopter does in terms of tracking stolen cars etc.. I guess with the ability to cover a huge area at once the victim of a crime could phone up immediately (assuming crime didn't involve theft of his phone) and the suspect potentially tracked etc...

In terms of smaller drones getting closer to monitor say a particular suspect's home etc.. I'd be more worried about privacy concerns - would like a warrant to be required if they're particularly invasive... picking up sound, thermal imaging cameras being used etc..etc..

*(obv the resolution of the overall area covered is relatively huge... but the resolution of the footage when looking down on a specific area isn't too great in comparison to say a more conventional drone specifically looking at that area)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom