UNRAID Energy Efficient storage build

Associate
I posted recently regarding building a new PC that was energy efficient. I discovered UNRAID this morning and think it may be a better fit. Currently have a Synology 2 bay which is great with 2x3Tb but almost full.

If I was to build a power efficient machine that could run 24/7. Using SSD for cache and then copy over to spinning drives after x amount of days. Really only running torrents.

I'd be happy to power up my existing old i7 desktop for when i use plex or day to day tasks just don't want to leave it on 24/7.

I'm thinking 4 spinning drives and 1 SSD for the cache. So an energy efficient case/PSU/processor/mobo that can handle the above?
Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
You'd likely be best off buying a SFF PC (like a deskmini, or a NUC), rather than trying to build one. ATX format PCs tend to be rather wasteful if they'll spend a lot of time @ idle or low load.

With these builds, I'd run the RAM at stock (no XMP) and turn off the CPU turbo.

ITX (I think the case only fits 2.5 drives without an optional drive bay):

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £573.94 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

MATX

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £491.89 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Last edited:
Soldato
surely both those buils should have a platinum psu, being the most efficient psu type
edit: terribly expensive though so I see what you guys have done there, shop around for a platinum psu, I found mine on sale one day and jusy snapped it up for later, I just looked and they can be found for decent price elsewhere

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom