Up to date guidance on the Apple TV 4K Eth vs. Nvidia Shield Pro?

Soldato
How are you connecting your C3? The WiFi will likely be faster than the ethernet port since that's capped at 100Mbps and the WiFi is Wifi 6 and can go over 400Mbps.

There was a whole thread on that where op gave up trying usb ethernet adapters to boost speed. Not sure if the C3 is different but on my CX I can use one fine.

Soldato
What is the subtitle issue mentioned above exactly? I've had issues with subtitles sometimes when I select them the stream stops and gives an error about transcoder stopped working. My Plex server is high enough spec though. I always thought it was just accepted that Plex is poor and buggy with subtitles from what I have read, but if this is also linked to low bandwidth and fixable with a usb/ethernet adapter, I'm happy to test that.

Soldato
OP
I was told it makes the required bitrate go through the roof. HDR tone mapping also gave me an issue with the native Plex app. Excited to try infuse on the ATV and see if makes all my problems disappear :D

C3 definitely different to others w.r.t ethernet compatibility. I did order the Nintendo switch adaptor but returned it without trying as the app is just not nice enough to persevere.

Associate
Jellyfin - it's pretty decent, as I mentioned in your other thread; it seems to handle UHD content much better than Plex
I've had nothing but trouble with jellyfin.

I'm running it on a Synology NAS, with the client on a shield pro. It crashes a lot and is a new installation. Server side is fine though. I will give it another try at some point, as it's still running on my server and I do prefer it over Plex.

As far as the shield goes in regards to OP's question - I love mine. It plays UHD perfectly, streaming from my NAS with DTS. I also use it for game streaming from my PC using moonlight, as the ********* at Nvidia removed their version of it.

I did get the frame rate stutter in YouTube, as mentioned by a few people but a couple of changes fixed it for me. I can't remember what though.

Associate
What is the subtitle issue mentioned above exactly? I've had issues with subtitles sometimes when I select them the stream stops and gives an error about transcoder stopped working. My Plex server is high enough spec though. I always thought it was just accepted that Plex is poor and buggy with subtitles from what I have read, but if this is also linked to low bandwidth and fixable with a usb/ethernet adapter, I'm happy to test that.

When you turn on subtitles, if they're not SRT Format (and even if they are, somtimes), it forces Plex to transcode the whole video, whereas it would be DirectPlay without the subtitles on.

That increases the bitrate significantly, causing it to be unplayable or buffer massively.

In my case, my LG CX gets about 80Mbps connected to wifi. I can play a 60Mbps super high quality 4K HDR rip without an issue, but if I enable subtitles on that file it'll shoot it beyond what it can cope with and it's unwatchable.

Synology DS920+ as well so bought specifically for 4K HDR Plex streaming and to have the hardware capability to do so.

Nowadays I just download 20Mbps max bitrate 4K stuff and there's no issue even with subs if it has to transcode.

Soldato
:o

Wow.
I remember the Shield being praised as the go to device that would never hold you back, and was powerful and did everything etc.
Why on earth did people buy them at all then if this is the case? The streaming games thing I thought was one of the whole points in it as well?
So people literally now have the choice of an apple TV to be able to reliably play 4k stuff if native TV apps suck? We have an old Roku and a fire stick which work well but not sure if firestick does 4k, can't remember the spec of it.

It’s great for Plex but IMO doesn’t now have any other use.

I never used it for streaming due to the lack of auto frame rate matching. The stutter drove me insane.

You’ve also got Amazon devices, such as the Firestick :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do you say that? Currently using Plex for my UHD rips but happy to jump to Jellyfin
I just found that with 80-100 gig UHD files, Plex sometimes had issues with pausing for a period of time (when the Wife went to get a drink etc), and also didn't seem to like you scanning forward either - both would often hang Plex or reset the film.

Had the issue on both my Shields and also the built in Plex on my LG - I run a new i7 desktop as my media server, and everything is connected via Ethernet; 10-15 gig HD content worked fine, as do all the other shows etc we have.

Soldato
ve had nothing but trouble with jellyfin.

I'm running it on a Synology NAS, with the client on a shield pro. It crashes a lot and is a new installation. Server side is fine though. I will give it another try at some point, as it's still running on my server and I do prefer it over Plex
It's been fine so far for us - I still run Plex 'just in case' though, but the client is working great on all of our devices, and the server admin side is far slicker than Plex imo.

Will see how it pans out going forward, as we've only been using it a month or so - it's got over 20TB of content in it, and hasn't missed a beat so far; but I'm not adverse to just using it for the UHD duties and leaving the rest to Plex.

Associate
It's been fine so far for us - I still run Plex 'just in case' though, but the client is working great on all of our devices, and the server admin side is far slicker than Plex imo.

Will see how it pans out going forward, as we've only been using it a month or so - it's got over 20TB of content in it, and hasn't missed a beat so far; but I'm not adverse to just using it for the UHD duties and leaving the rest to Plex.
I'll give it another whirl today. She was getting annoyed with it and didn't want to learn something else, so I just left it and went back to Plex.

I only have about 5tb of data. Not sure why I'm having the crashing issue, but leaning more towards it being android/shield related. As I did try it on unraid when I used that briefly and it was fine.

Soldato
When you turn on subtitles, if they're not SRT Format (and even if they are, somtimes), it forces Plex to transcode the whole video, whereas it would be DirectPlay without the subtitles on.

That increases the bitrate significantly, causing it to be unplayable or buffer massively.

In my case, my LG CX gets about 80Mbps connected to wifi. I can play a 60Mbps super high quality 4K HDR rip without an issue, but if I enable subtitles on that file it'll shoot it beyond what it can cope with and it's unwatchable.

Synology DS920+ as well so bought specifically for 4K HDR Plex streaming and to have the hardware capability to do so.

Nowadays I just download 20Mbps max bitrate 4K stuff and there's no issue even with subs if it has to transcode.

Ah ok.
I'm not sure then. I used to get issues turning subs on but my server is high enough spec to cope with transcoding and has intel quicksync as well which I tested and does get utilized. It's possible it was the same bitrate issue. I will have to test that. I have a CX too. I can get about 80mbps ethernet or 200 odd via usb to ethernet adapter.

Soldato
OP
So far so good with the atv. Its steamed something Plex couldn't handle with subs, with HDR looking great.

I am also so so pleased that it works with the standard LG remote. I didn't know such black magic was possible! Very happy bunny.

Soldato
OP
KMIRlCX.jpeg

Edit: I also just discovered that coupled with Home Assistant, I have full camera and PIP possibilities :D
----

ulUI6NA.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom