Up to date guidance on the Apple TV 4K Eth vs. Nvidia Shield Pro?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have vowed to grab a streamer ASAP - a few issues with the LG C3 in that very large files don't stream well with subtitles (bitrate saturates the connection) and HDR on the Plex native app is a bit ropey.

I have a windows box nearby I could use but the remote experience is just a tad poor.

So I'm thinking the most simple feature rich device that isn't going to leave me stranded in this answer - I can get either for approx 180.

I know the Shield is older but as long as it works that shouldn't matter? I think the Apple experience is probably spot on for what you want in a good TV situation.

I probably won't game on either. Plex is the primary use case and high quality video. I have a Sonos Beam I'll likely never upgrade - maybe a sub or something.

Thanks!

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have vowed to grab a streamer ASAP - a few issues with the LG C3 in that very large files don't stream well with subtitles (bitrate saturates the connection) and HDR on the Plex native app is a bit ropey.

I have a windows box nearby I could use but the remote experience is just a tad poor.

So I'm thinking the most simple feature rich device that isn't going to leave me stranded in this answer - I can get either for approx 180.

I know the Shield is older but as long as it works that shouldn't matter? I think the Apple experience is probably spot on for what you want in a good TV situation.

I probably won't game on either. Plex is the primary use case and high quality video. I have a Sonos Beam I'll likely never upgrade - maybe a sub or something.

Thanks!

Go with the Nvidia shield pro as you can setup the Plex server directly on the shield itself.

If you don't need streaming apps (just throwing this in the mix), then get a Zidoo Z9X as it has its own native player that will play anything, so can do away with plex. Picture quality and sound also better on the Zidoo itself and the look and feel of the media library is just like Plex.

Soldato
If you’re going to use streaming apps, don’t get a shield. It doesn’t have auto frame rate matching, so you get terrible judder outside of any apps which have it built in.

If it’s just for Plex, it’s great. I sold mine as they removed the ability to stream games from your PC to it.

Soldato
If you’re going to use streaming apps, don’t get a shield. It doesn’t have auto frame rate matching, so you get terrible judder outside of any apps which have it built in.

If it’s just for Plex, it’s great. I sold mine as they removed the ability to stream games from your PC to it.

Limitation of the android version 11. Think it was only added in Android version 12. Whether they will add version 13 or 14 to the device remains to be seen. Maybe will see a new device released instead.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to defer and try jellyfish or w/e it's called :cry:.

This question seems to just highlight more annoyances/doubts - I still really don't want two remotes so I'm already compromising :(

Associate
I think I'm going to defer and try jellyfish or w/e it's called :cry:.

This question seems to just highlight more annoyances/doubts - I still really don't want two remotes so I'm already compromising :(

Do let me know how you get on. I'm reluctant to change from Plex to something else as everything is set up nicely on my NAS after much effort and troubleshooting. But having the same issue where I'm forced to watch ~20-30Mbps 4K rather than higher even though I have the space because of the bandwith + subtitle issue.

Was rather hoping you'd try one or the other and guinea pig for me :p

Soldato
OP
Do let me know how you get on. I'm reluctant to change from Plex to something else as everything is set up nicely on my NAS after much effort and troubleshooting. But having the same issue where I'm forced to watch ~20-30Mbps 4K rather than higher even though I have the space because of the bandwith + subtitle issue.

Was rather hoping you'd try one or the other and guinea pig for me :p
:cry:. I'm normally not this thoughtful but I just hate with a passion multiple remotes.

I think jellyfish can just point to existing drivers so hopefully a quick job!

Soldato
Limitation of the android version 11. Think it was only added in Android version 12. Whether they will add version 13 or 14 to the device remains to be seen. Maybe will see a new device released instead.

It’s not a limitation of Android, it just isn’t integrated into Android OS.

Nvidia would have had the know-how and capability of adding it, they just didn’t.

Hence, it makes the device as a streamer totally irrelevant based on my ownership.

Soldato
It’s not a limitation of Android, it just isn’t integrated into Android OS.

Nvidia would have had the know-how and capability of adding it, they just didn’t.

Hence, it makes the device as a streamer totally irrelevant based on my ownership.

Google only added support for frame rate matching on Android TV 12 and any device that has it with a older version was just put together with unofficial hacked support for it. Once it's adopted more and the system level API is up to scratch, then hopefully will start to see apps utilise it more like Disney, Netflix etc.

Associate
Love my Apple TV the quality is spot on, download the Movies Anywhere and Vudu apps, switch location to USA and watch a host of extra shows and movies that you have to wait for here. Plenty of FB groups with people selling legal movie codes

Soldato
OP
Love my Apple TV the quality is spot on, download the Movies Anywhere and Vudu apps, switch location to USA and watch a host of extra shows and movies that you have to wait for here. Plenty of FB groups with people selling legal movie codes
Do you have an android or iPhone?

Just wondering if I'll have a second class experience.

Associate
Happy to help.

I run Plex server on my synology nas. I watch everything via a firestick (over Ethernet) on my 4k tv. Without issue, however I’ve not watched many uhd files.

I bought a shield pro but I’ve not actually used it.

If you let me know a film you’re having issues with I’ll check it out and evaluate it.

Might help, might not.

Associate
Apple TV. Will look great on your C3. I watch my ripped stuff on either Infuse or Plex, all the catch up apps are on there as well. Most apps support frame rate matching as @MrRockliffe mentioned which is key if using anything like Netflix.

Soldato
How are you connecting your C3? The WiFi will likely be faster than the ethernet port since that's capped at 100Mbps and the WiFi is Wifi 6 and can go over 400Mbps.

Failing that Apple have a no nonsense return policy so you can test it out and return for any reason if it doesn't do what you want.

But the frame rate and dynamic range matching on the Apple TV works well and also supports QMS which the C3 also supports, so you'll only have the screen blank out for dynamic range changes and not frame rate changes which is nice.

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps - this was the reality check I needed. I realised I could cash in some vouchers from my work scheme too, so it's only cost me 9 quid!

But what was it?

Apple TV 4k ethernet

Soldato

:o

Wow.
I remember the Shield being praised as the go to device that would never hold you back, and was powerful and did everything etc.
Why on earth did people buy them at all then if this is the case? The streaming games thing I thought was one of the whole points in it as well?
So people literally now have the choice of an apple TV to be able to reliably play 4k stuff if native TV apps suck? We have an old Roku and a fire stick which work well but not sure if firestick does 4k, can't remember the spec of it.

Back
Top Bottom