Upcoming 24.5" IPS 1ms Freesync 144hz Monitors

Soldato
Bought the XV253QP, really impressed with it, lots of features not mentioned in spec, 10bit colour (thats what says in windows and driver?), cross hair overlay (nearly bought the asus for that as the acer doesn't mention it), onscreen fps counter. Has HDR which the Asus doesn't, perfect picture out the box though HDR goes super bright not messed about with it yet. Really solid, the stand is a work of art, very heavy duty with no screws, nothing cheap about any of it at all which was a concern never had Acer.

No fuzzy text on vertical scrolling like the last 144hz monitor I bought had.

Its still not available anywhere though, only rainforest.

Any idea what the freesync range is? Does the manual say?

Can't find that info anywhere, assuming it's 48-144hz (maybe 60-144hz when on nvidia like some monitors), but no where has the info and acer's site doesn't even list it yet.

Associate
OP
Any idea what the freesync range is? Does the manual say?

Can't find that info anywhere, assuming it's 48-144hz (maybe 60-144hz when on nvidia like some monitors), but no where has the info and acer's site doesn't even list it yet.

Its 48-144hz though the new AMD drivers don't tell you like they used to but when its on i've watched it drop to like 50 odd so sure its 48-144hz. They don't mention a lot of its features anywhere to be honest, last minute it got g sync branding thats not mentioned in adverts same with 10/12bit colour modes and other options.

Soldato
Its 48-144hz though the new AMD drivers don't tell you like they used to but when its on i've watched it drop to like 50 odd so sure its 48-144hz. They don't mention a lot of its features anywhere to be honest, last minute it got g sync branding thats not mentioned in adverts same with 10/12bit colour modes and other options.

Thanks. So weird there is so little info.

New 1440p/144hz ips launches and sites fall over themselves to review. 1080/144 ips, something there hasn't been any before and hardly any reviews or decent info.

Soldato
Thanks. So weird there is so little info.

New 1440p/144hz ips launches and sites fall over themselves to review. 1080/144 ips, something there hasn't been any before and hardly any reviews or decent info.

As a monitor reviewer I'd just like to point out that we're often at the mercy of what the manufacturer or PR companies supply for review. Their samples of WQHD 144Hz+ IPS models are usually quite plentiful, whereas the Full HD 144Hz+ options are often not circulated. There are some exceptions, like the AOC 24G2(U) I recently reviewed. But many manufacturers including Acer and ASUS are a lot more selective about which models they circulate for review.

Soldato
As a monitor reviewer I'd just like to point out that we're often at the mercy of what the manufacturer or PR companies supply for review. Their samples of WQHD 144Hz+ IPS models are usually quite plentiful, whereas the Full HD 144Hz+ options are often not circulated. There are some exceptions, like the AOC 24G2(U) I recently reviewed. But many manufacturers including Acer and ASUS are a lot more selective about which models they circulate for review.

:(.

Any idea why they are being so tight with the 1080/144?

Would have already decided and pulled the trigger on one if there were more reviews. Only proper in depth review for any specific model does seem to be your 24g2u review. VG259Q apparently looks grainy/blurry according to some users and locks brightness in srgb mode, same as the 24g2u. XV253QP seems to be good with the only downside being overdrive is locked to normal when freesync is on. Panda panels all seem to be cool on the same side.

Would be a much easier choice if there were more in depth reviews on them. Makes me think the manufacturers are hiding something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea why they are being so tight with the 1080/144?

Most manufacturers don't circulate PR samples for their cheaper models is really all it is. Not that they're hiding anything, just that they have a limited number of samples in circulation and usually like to focus on the more expensive and prestigious models.

Permabanned
The prices on 240hz IPS seem to be nearly in line so i am curious why this thread is popular really? You guys seen the VG259QM over the VG259Q?

They are quite close but the 24 inch IPS panels seem like they will cost around the same as 144hz at £350 no? What do you all think?

Associate
OP
The prices on 240hz IPS seem to be nearly in line so i am curious why this thread is popular really? You guys seen the VG259QM over the VG259Q?

They are quite close but the 24 inch IPS panels seem like they will cost around the same as 144hz at £350 no? What do you all think?

First I seen of the VG259QM, looks decent.

The 144hz models are around £270 for both acer and asus though

Soldato
My AOC 24G2U eventually turned up.

Was a bit concerned as the seal was broken on the box. Fearing the worst, I thought it was a defective panel returned by previous customer and then re-sold as new. Strangely everything else was in orignal packaging/sealed.

Not bothered anyway as its a defect free panel, so happy days!

Loving 144Hz :D

Associate
OP
@MegaPinches

Have you had any problems with the colours resetting on the XV253QP, like this

https://old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/e7fja2/24_144hz_1080p_ips_monitor_acer_nitro_vg240yp_vs/

Hopefully the bug is only in the cheaper VG240YP with the Panda panel. Going on user reviews, seems like the Acer is the best overall, so if it's all good will probably go for it later this month/early next month.

Nah ive had nothing like that on this

Its a no brainer against the Asus version for same price, 10/12 bit colour, HDR 400, better looking and people report the Asus has a green tint.

Soldato
Nah ive had nothing like that on this

Its a no brainer against the Asus version for same price, 10/12 bit colour, HDR 400, better looking and people report the Asus has a green tint.

Thanks.

I read that about the Asus as well (green tint). Seems like the Acer is the way to go for me then. Not on Nvidia's certified compatiblity list yet, but considering it's advertised as g-sync on the box and the cheaper vg252Q is on the list (same monitor, just a crap stand without the usb hub), then should all be good.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

I read that about the Asus as well (green tint). Seems like the Acer is the way to go for me then. Not on Nvidia's certified compatiblity list yet, but considering it's advertised as g-sync on the box and the cheaper vg252Q is on the list (same monitor, just a crap stand without the usb hub), then should all be good.

Don't worry its got G sync all over it, G sync sticker and G sync logo on power on, its listed in an Nvidia driver update recently. All freesync monitors work with 1000 series and above anyway right?

Originally there was no mention of G sync and was touted as freesync monitor, must have been a last minute Nvidia deal, its technically "Freesync Premium Pro" as well going by AMD's new criteria, HDR400, 120hz+, LFC, though not listed yet as that, maybe due to Nvidia guff all over it, still trying to get the sticker off.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I read somewhere someone having issues at 12bit high refresh and review mentions somin about that too, 12bit is only available through HDMI though, I use DP 10bit 144hz, honestly so impressed with it, is the nuts.

Also mention sRGB mode is immense out the box, I not anal about colours etc but no what I dont like and you can adjust brightness in sRGB mode unlike a lot of others, I got mine on 24 and sRGB looks quality. Look out for HDR mode, the first one is HDR but the HDR400 option is a second mode thats kinda hidden I only just discovered it, not that I use it. Its suppose to increase input lag slightly though and I not bothered about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't worry its got G sync all over it, G sync sticker and G sync logo on power on, its listed in an Nvidia driver update recently. All freesync monitors work with 1000 series and above anyway right?

Some of the early freesync monitors that pre-dated nvidia enabling it apparently had some issues (flickering) and sometimes the range is slightly diffferent. aoc 24g2u is apparently 60-144 on nvidia vs 48-144 on amd.

But if it's all branded G-sync then, to the point of a g-sync logo on power on, then I can't see it being any different on nvidia or having any issues.

I read somewhere someone having issues at 12bit high refresh and review mentions somin about that too, 12bit is only available through HDMI though, I use DP 10bit 144hz, honestly so impressed with it, is the nuts.

I've seen that as well. Apparently blacks out randomly. Can't find it now, but saw someone mention the Asus doing the exact same thing as well with certain settings over hdmi. I assume it's bandwidth related as lowering settings seemed to sort it (something like that, can't find the post). Not really fussed as I'll be using over dp anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Bought the XV253QP, really impressed with it, lots of features not mentioned in spec, 10bit colour (thats what says in windows and driver?), cross hair overlay (nearly bought the asus for that as the acer doesn't mention it), onscreen fps counter. Has HDR which the Asus doesn't, perfect picture out the box though HDR goes super bright not messed about with it yet. Really solid, the stand is a work of art, very heavy duty with no screws, nothing cheap about any of it at all which was a concern never had Acer.

No fuzzy text on vertical scrolling like the last 144hz monitor I bought had.

Its still not available anywhere though, only rainforest.

Going to purchase this monitor here as well, as it is probably the best choise for me and my brother for replacing the Dell 2007FP we're rocking. the only concerens i have are regarding the quality control of the monitor (aka dead pixels, light bleed) and the Overdrive being locked on normal with adaptive sync. how is the ghosting? what happens when you set Overdrive to the extreme?

p.s - i've read that the built in speakers were really not that good :p

Associate
OP
Going to purchase this monitor here as well, as it is probably the best choise for me and my brother for replacing the Dell 2007FP we're rocking. the only concerens i have are regarding the quality control of the monitor (aka dead pixels, light bleed) and the Overdrive being locked on normal with adaptive sync. how is the ghosting? what happens when you set Overdrive to the extreme?

p.s - i've read that the built in speakers were really not that good :p

Ok Ive had two of them, reason being is because I thought there was a fault, I won't bore but when you set volume to 0 and keep mute off then switch on HDR or freesync or anything that requires monitor to flicker it then produces a speaker fault if kept on 0 volume (you can mute of course and do a reset if you want), the left speaker will rapidly tick. I thought this was a fault and didn't want a dodgy speaker so rainforest agreed and sent me another one and since learnt its just a weird bug (both do it) you can reset and makes no odds anyway as only happens in those circumstances and you can mute it. Anyway the point of that is ive had two to compare side by side for a few weeks:

So they both had the same IPS glow pattern, almost identical, nothing more or less than my TV or other AOC IPS monitor, people posting pictures of any IPS glow in the dark will look extremely exaggerated, always looks 10x as bad in a photo. The 2nd one had a tiny light bleed line down the right hand side so I kept the original one, the 2nd one also had slightly brighter colours so there is variance between them. I did dead pixel test on both, neither had any.

Reviews says extreme mode produces overshoot, theres no need to use since the response of normal is the best out there according to Ratings.com. Theres no ghosting on normal, overdrive and VRB is locked when adaptive sync is on but this is normal on most monitors, I know some posh Asus ones allow both now. But if you want VRB you are probably not going to be using freesync anyway if we talking competitive fps.

I'm dead chuffed with mine, I didn't want 1440p and this seems the best 1080p out there.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the quick reply! Regarding the other reviews, i can't really pay attention to them as they review the 240hz model and not the 144hz. those are different panels and the normal overdrive setting in the 240hz model can be different than the 144hz model. that is why i asked you personally (if you tried it) to see if extreme mode is truly unusable, which will probably mean that normal should be ok :)

good to know that both monitors were quite good. i will also order 2 (for me and my bro) and will update with my review once it arrives.

Back
Top Bottom