Upgrade advice from and 5900x to 7950x3d

Associate
Hi All,

I have an amd 5900x water cooled , asus MB 570-f and 4090 gpu.

I don't have perf issues running racing games and ms flight sim

Looking at splashing out on a 7950x3d, Asus hero MB and 32gb ddr5. total spend approx. 1300.

I know next year there will be a new AMD cpu , but my age etc tells me not to wait until then.

I fully aware the perf increase will not be stellar.

i would then sell my current components for X pounds, recoup some costs.

any productive comments welcome.

Regards

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are you doing something other than gaming? Just wondering why you want 16 cores. If the argument is for future proofing, part of the reason to buy AM5 is for future CPU upgrades and since you're already moving on from your 5900X, I doubt the 7950X3D will last that long either?

Asus hero MB
Is there a reason for this motherboard specifically? You'd get the same stock performance with a motherboard half the price. Rear USB4 is a premium feature that I wouldn't mind having, but it doesn't have 10Gb LAN which seems odd for how much it costs.

Man of Honour
Q3kC9pe.jpeg

Associate
first, thanks for the responses.

I do not see much perf increase by going to a 5800x3d.

Yes, the MB is expensive, will have another look.

edit: now to recall why the hero MB, the 6x sata ports, maybe i should consolidate number of drives i have !.
Regards
I recently upgraded from a 5800X3D to a 7800X3D and went with a MSI X670E Carbon motherboard. It has 6 x SATA ports if you really need them, has good rear panel IO and PCIE 5.0 support with 4 dedicated NVMe slots ( 2 x gen 4, 2 x gen 5 ). When I was on the AM4 platform I was using an Asus Crosshair Hero and wanted to go down that route again for AM5, but the cost of the "Hero" line has risen a lot this generation ( not justified, imo ) and all the current gen Asus boards have an Intel i225v NIC which is notoriously unreliable ie. internet/wi-fi may not function or get much reduced speeds. I'm happy with my decision ... the MSI Carbon isn't a cheap mobo by any means, but it's nowhere near as expensive as the Asus Hero ( or similar ) and has just as many features, if not more for "future-proofing" especially with respect to PCIE 5.0 support.

Soldato
Could just add some sata ports
To a cheaper motherboard
Pcie to sata expansion cards are available
Or even m2 to sata port expansion cards now

I would probably agree with just upgrade cpu to x3d
Or just stick with 5900x
If youre having no performance issues why change
And also agree userbenchmark not the best
Thing to use for your comparison

Associate
OP
I recently upgraded from a 5800X3D to a 7800X3D and went with a MSI X670E Carbon motherboard. It has 6 x SATA ports if you really need them, has good rear panel IO and PCIE 5.0 support with 4 dedicated NVMe slots ( 2 x gen 4, 2 x gen 5 ). When I was on the AM4 platform I was using an Asus Crosshair Hero and wanted to go down that route again for AM5, but the cost of the "Hero" line has risen a lot this generation ( not justified, imo ) and all the current gen Asus boards have an Intel i225v NIC which is notoriously unreliable ie. internet/wi-fi may not function or get much reduced speeds. I'm happy with my decision ... the MSI Carbon isn't a cheap mobo by any means, but it's nowhere near as expensive as the Asus Hero ( or similar ) and has just as many features, if not more for "future-proofing" especially with respect to PCIE 5.0 support.

thanks , the msi carbon fits the bill with the ports.

Associate
OP
Could just add some sata ports
To a cheaper motherboard
Pcie to sata expansion cards are available
Or even m2 to sata port expansion cards now

I would probably agree with just upgrade cpu to x3d
Or just stick with 5900x
If youre having no performance issues why change
And also agree userbenchmark not the best
Thing to use for your comparison

thanks , yes adding a board for the additional sata ports is good alternative and cheaper !

Back
Top Bottom