Upgrade advice gaming pc

Associate
My 10+ year old pc just isnt cutting it anymore and im needing a new rig. Dont really play the latest games (aoe4 will be the most recent release id be playing when it comes out) but wanting to spend around £1300 and hope it lasts a good while again, could spend more if really needed but think it would be overkill for the games i play.

The spec ive seen is:
- ryzen 7 3800x
- asus tuf gaming b550 plus
- 16gb corsair venegence 3200mhz
- 12gb 3060 (palit or zotac)
- 500gb samsung 980 pro m2
- corsair 550w cv series
- lian li lancool 2 case
price £1315

id imagine the custom pc builders would use slightly more entry level components eg the palit/zotac gpu to keep there costs lower? Done affair bit of shopping around and the price seems reasonable for the spec.

Just wanting any advice on the components, that they wont be any bottle necking and if it seems a solid choice? Would the stock 105w cpu cooler be good enough or is it worth adding a better air cooler? Is the more basic power supply adequate or is the more premium modular corsair power supplies worth it?

Also looking at upgrading the monitor to the following, id imagine this pc would run it fine?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27-27gn800-b-2560x1440-ips-144hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-led-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-15y-lg.html

I know ive asked a hell of a lot of questions but just wanting to make sure im getting the most for my money and making smart choices.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
5600X is better CPU for gaming.
It isn't far behind 8 core Zen2 in fully multithreaded performance and no game has perfect multithreading without few critical main threads being the bottleneck.
And performance depends on adequate cooling, what stock coolers sized for playing MS Word don't do.
(£25 Arctic Freezer 34 is bang per buck choise)

MSI B550 Tomahawk is at the moment superbly priced.
Though Aorus Elite bundle is also good if parts separately with MSI board (which is better equipped/featured) are notably more.

Corsair memories are overall brand overpriced.
And you'll want 3600MHz memory.

Space you don't have doesn't have any speed, except negative and 1TB is minimum for SSD unless talking about shoestring budget PC.
Marketing hype PCIe v4 comes only after having everything else at high level and still loose money.

Corsair CV is standard cheapo PSU with brand sticker and doesn't belong into this budget PC.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice.
-So a 5600x is the way to go cpu wise.
-A better psu is a must aswell, is there a sweet spot for the wattage? Dont wanna be running a 750w if theres no need for that kinda output?
- Buying parts and building the pc myself is abit daunting as i havent done it before, would guess its the cheapest way rather than buying a custom built pc to my spec?
-
Marketing hype PCIe v4 comes only after having everything else at high level and still loose money.
so youd recommend going for a standard ssd due to the price of the m2?

Soldato
This.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Kestrel Micro-ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5600X, AMD Radeon Graphics = £1,291.08
    • Case:Kolink Citadel Mesh RGB Micro-ATX Case - Black
    • Primary Solid State Drive (M.2):WD Blue SN550 500GB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS500G2B0C)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive (M.2):Unwanted
    • Primary 2.5" Solid State Drive:WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive *SI STOCK* (WDS500G2B0A)
    • Secondary 2.5" Solid State Drive :Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Memory:Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    • Graphics Card:*Build Stock* Asrock Radeon RX 6700 XT MBA 12GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
Total: £1,305.18 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
-A better psu is a must aswell, is there a sweet spot for the wattage? Dont wanna be running a 750w if theres no need for that kinda output?

- so youd recommend going for a standard ssd due to the price of the m2?
80+ Gold PSU has always better efficiency than outdated 80+ Bronze efficiency PSU.
650w model doesn't even cost that much less than 750W model which is more future proof in case you happen to later get some power hogging high end (new or second hand) graphics card.
Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £81.95

PCIe v3 NVMe has most of the speed advantage over SATA SSD and costs lot less than PCIe v4 model.
1TB Crucial P5 is literally half the price of the cheapest PCIe v4 drive.

Associate
OP
Is there any point considering an intel cpu or amd gpu as alternatives or is the 5600x and 3060 as good as i can get with the budget

Associate
Is there any point considering an intel cpu or amd gpu as alternatives or is the 5600x and 3060 as good as i can get with the budget
Won't get anything better with Intel.
Could definitely do better than 3060 for £499. I got my RTX3070 last week for less than that (30xx FE thread has more details for getting Nvidia FE cards at MSRP)

Soldato
It appears you are being well looked after here. I would steer clear from a ready-made PC build as (most of the time) you'd be able to build them cheaper yourself with better components.

My PC build wasn't much more than yours when I had a 3060 Ti instead of the 3080. It's in my sig. The components are mostly cheaper than when I bought them last October(ish) time.

I would say go for a 5600X CPU with a B550 motherboard. Primary NVMe drive and secondary SSD. 3600mhz CL16 RAM - 16gb should do the trick. Don't cheap out on PSU either, did you know there is a tier list for the main PSU models on the market?

Soldato

AMD GPUs are overpriced here in the UK. That is on top of the current GPU pricing situation we are in.
If you want a good deal without a headache, watch out for a 3060Ti drop from Gibbo here at OCUK.
If you want the best price for a Founders Edition card then you will need spare time, Discord and/or Telegram to pounce on the drops - basically a 2 minute window at a random time and day once a week where thousands of people compete with you to snag a card at MSRP.

I got an FE but I spent a lot of time monitoring drops. Deals like what OCUK have been offering recently weren't available to me at the time unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom