Upgrade Advice please

Associate
Hi Folks,

Havent been doing much PC gaming for a little while now, but fancy picking up a few games and getting back into it.

Currently have 2500k clocked, with 780 gtx, ssd & 16gb ram. Recently picked up a g-sync enabled / freesync monitor running @ 144 - 1080.

I'm looking to better utilise the new monitor and play some newer games, havent set a budget yet, but somewhere in the region of 300 should be available once I've got the house move out of the way.

With my sensible head on this will be my only upgrade for 12 months, there is a small chance i might also upgrade to Ryzen 3 / 5 in 6 months or so.

My questions are, what would constitute a worthwhile GPU upgrade without being hopelessly CPU bound?

Would a move to an i7 of the same vintage or 3xxxx be worthwhile? (cost to change maybe 70 quid or so looking at the famous auction site)

thanks

Soldato
Personally, you may find yourself upgrading the GPU end of July.
Nvidia will have their super RTX range along with AMD RX5700 Pro and XT along with any Vega 64 price drops and current RTX price drops.

This will straight away give you the FPS increase!

At 1080p you are speed bound. Intel still holds the lead currently , but more then likely a ryzen 3600x will perform better then your current 4c i5 !
Speed is key, but also newer AAA titles like BV5 like cores !!!

Really wouldn't bother with getting second hand i7 K unless they sell for £50 after Zen2 launch

Also if you haven't got 16GB of ram.. another bit of food for thought

Associate
^^More than likely?! The 2500K is a relic at this stage, Ryzen 2600X is light years better, let alone 3600X.

If your motherboard supports 3770K, that's worthwhile upgrade and way better for the latest games thanks to extra threads.

But realistically if you have a 144hz monitor, something like a Ryzen 2600X or Intel 9400F at a minimum makes sense.

Personally I would way prefer to have a 2600X + GTX780 over a 2500K + new GPU. You can lower graphics settings to get a better framerate but nothing you can do about a CPU bottleneck.

If 300 is your max budget, I would probably get a 3770K 2nd hand, slam on an overclock, and pick up a GTX1660.

Soldato
@Terrorfirmer

you slap a 2080ti with a 4.2ghz overclocked ryzen 2600x vs a 2500k at 4.5ghz across everything game in steams library - you'll find 955 will favour intel and its faster core speed and IPC

latest games... there are hundreds released every day that are still only single/dual core . What your meant to say is recent AAA titles that are vulcan/dx12 supported or with good multi core coding with DX11

going 2600x at 1080p to use a 144hz screen will get you ZERO % increase in most games! specially with current GPU - Upgrade GPU first , check CPU usage and wait till ryzen 3600 is released

100's of videos out there showing intel 4 cores beating ryzen 1***/2*** at 1080p gaming .

but least July should get interesting for GPUs as well :D

and then intel releasing 10 cores in December - hopefully AMD drops some prices or damn good black friday deals

@Plec @tamzzy @EsaT @Journey @lee32uk

what would you do first within 1-5 months, GPU or CPU with 1080p 144hz screen? and then upgrade within a years time ?

Soldato
Currently have 2500k clocked, with 780 gtx, ssd & 16gb ram. Recently picked up a g-sync enabled / freesync monitor running @ 144 - 1080.

I'm looking to better utilise the new monitor and play some newer games, somewhere in the region of 300 should be available
With my sensible head on this will be my only upgrade for 12 months, there is a small chance i might also upgrade to Ryzen 3 / 5 in 6 months or so.
@Plec what would you do first within 1-5 months, GPU or CPU with 1080p 144hz screen? and then upgrade within a years time ?
This is cheating - i did this recently for my son's 3470 clocked at 4.5GHz(somewhere in this region) and threw in a 1660Ti. Yes, it bottlenecks - but he doesn't notice and gets to play all his games maxed out. The results are so good he's certainly going to have to wait until 2020 for Zen 2 (probably in a spare B450 too).

For immediate gratification for a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge coupled with 1080p - yep, i would go for the GPU. Especially with another predicted upgrade in 6 to 12 months which should coincide nicely with Zen 2 price drops and the release of B550. Then the system would be nicely rounded and you will have hopefully achieved maximum enjoyment for finance and timing of upgrades.

The only thing i would ask of OP is what is your PSU?

*For full disclosure @orbitalwalsh is my love child - so no bias intended in the above.

Soldato
Leave it 2-3 weeks to see how Ryzen 3*** and Navi is, both from AMD, then either ask again or watch the mass of videos that will give you that information. It is the worst time to buy a PC this year, 2-3 weeks or risk buying now something which you will later regret.

Either way I would say a Ryzen 3*** based machine is almost a given, the GPU I'm still not sure of - AMD Navi(5700(xt)) could be a very good 1080p card depending on price!

Associate
OP
thanks all for the responses. Managed to omit timescale from the opening post, house move should be middle of July nicely in time to see what navi does to the market. I should better know my budget for this upgrade then.

@orbitalwalsh - I have 16gb ram. Black friday might be somewhat of a tempter, we shall see how the current cpu + new gpu does in the meantime.
@Plec - can never disagree immeditate gratification. Bonus point for the use of lovechild too. PSU is Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850W '80 Plus Bronze' Fully Modular Power Supply - which seems way overspec looking at it now. Maybe i had grand plans of sli, who knows.

@both -
reasurring that dropping a £200 + card in wont be a complete waste, thanks.

@hominid - thanks - sadly i dont think my budget will stretch to cpu, mobo & ram as well as gpu, but hope navi coud be worth or look or might disrupt the market.

Associate
OP
what look to be the reference coolers for the vega are loads cheaper, assume they are a bit pants?

what are the vega like for heat and noise, are they a bit toasty compared to the 1660ti and such?

Soldato
what are the vega like for heat and noise, are they a bit toasty compared to the 1660ti and such?
Vega 56 is the better card if you can afford it and comes with 2 free game codes which could be sold for £50 to offset the cost.

The trick is to undervolt/overclock them - plenty of threads on this - and the reference coolers are noisy/hot.

In the sale plus 2 free games:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

*EDIT: I should add you will need to update your BIOS to the latest release to run these cards. But also, what is your motherboard as this may be an issue?​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks.

Mobo is a z77x-d3h

will have to check the bios later, thinking i musn't be too far off up to date, had a horrific boot loop issue to fix a few years back. Thanks for the warning though.

Associate
@Terrorfirmer

you slap a 2080ti with a 4.2ghz overclocked ryzen 2600x vs a 2500k at 4.5ghz across everything game in steams library - you'll find 955 will favour intel and its faster core speed and IPC

latest games... there are hundreds released every day that are still only single/dual core . What your meant to say is recent AAA titles that are vulcan/dx12 supported or with good multi core coding with DX11

going 2600x at 1080p to use a 144hz screen will get you ZERO % increase in most games! specially with current GPU - Upgrade GPU first , check CPU usage and wait till ryzen 3600 is released

100's of videos out there showing intel 4 cores beating ryzen 1***/2*** at 1080p gaming .

Sorry but this is absurdly off-base. I think we can all take for a given that when someone comes asking advice about a new gaming PC, they're not talking about playing CS1.6 or Chips Challenge.

A 2500K at 4.5Ghz is no match for Ryzen 2600X in modern games. It's not even close, so to say that you'd get zero increase in most games on a 144hz monitor is really misinformed, sorry. Have you ever tried to play Battlefield 1 or 5 on 64p servers for example? The 2500K runs like total crap (dips to 30-35fps), the 2600X runs like butter. This is because a) extra cores and threads are what many modern games are demanding. Assassins Creed is another CPU cruncher.

I've personally played some modern games on a 2500K at 4Ghz and some were insufferable with the bottlenecking and bad minimum frames. Obviously I'm not saying "every single game made since astroid will run way better", but to suggested that an OC'd 2500K from 2011 is just as good as a Ryzen 2600X in modern games, or that the latter isn't a worthwhile upgrade, is total nonsense.

but more then likely a ryzen 3600x will perform better then your current 4c i5

Honestly, you're literally out of touch with reality if you think a Ryzen 3600X will only 'likely' perform better than an i5 from 2011 in modern games. The 2600X destroys it, the 3600X will be what, 20% faster than that?

Compare modern, demanding and popular games and they aren't even same league. Obviously in games from 2013/2014 the i5 is fine. In the latest, mainstream popular games, the 2600X is significantly faster, and in some cases, the i5 cannot cope very well at all. To suggest they're the same is ludicious.

I don't know if posting links is allowed but it's easy to find benchmarks online comparing CPUs in modern games. If we take that a 4c/4t i3-8350K with DDR4 is easily better than an OC'd 2500K, according to Techspot with a 2080Ti in BFV 64P, it's still almost 50% slower than a 2600X (at stock).

And that's a modern, 8th gen 4c/4t part with DDR4 RAM. I would wager Assassins Creed would tell you the same thing. Obviously some games are more sensitive than others, but on a 144hz monitor, there's a vast gulf between a 2500K and a Ryzen 2600X, and most certainly the upcoming 3600X.

I work with PC's so I've personally played on all sorts of machines, I'd say at this point I've used the vast majority of all consumer CPU's imaginable with all combination of GPUs. The last two years or so I've found 2nd/3rd gen i5 and all FX processors intolerable due to bad minimum frames in stuff like Battlefield and Assassins Creed titles. Obviously they're OK (or at least >60fps) in some other titles, but they're a mile off the reliability and consistency of Ryzen hex-core parts.

Anyway, bottom line is that 2600X destroys 2500K, to suggest they're somehow on-par in 2019 is way off. It's not even close. Throw a 144hz monitor into the mix and it's even worse and enters chalk and cheese territory.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Terrorfirmer

Aye, you work with PCs, I just sign NDA with intel and AMD and Nvidia , I know nothing..

I do t know why your going in with assassin creed... Of course that's a brand new with good coding, but still 100s of new releases that don't use more then two codes. For some reason you skim over the WHOLE STEAM library filled with years and years worth of games and the legacy stores like GOG etc ...
And assume someone is only going to play AAA titles.. what happens with OP wanted to play ARMA for a realistic FPS experience ..?? Going to say a ryzen can match intel In It's current form ?
We all know intel beats ryzen at 1080p gaming currently for 90% of steam library games

Would I pay for the price to upgrade from 2500k with 144hz 1080p monitor to ryzen 2600x + mobo + ram or upgrade GPU, think you'd fined 90% would be GPU and then wait till all your games suffered . By that time you'll have intel 10 core come around just after Black Friday and good core war sale going on like what is happening with GPUs the advantages of seeing Roadmaps at the start of the year , more forward to 2020 then this year's . OP core system should hold up to it with new GPU and scaling to 1440p

Associate
Pointing to 90% of Steam Library which is going to be a) old games and b) indie games is hardly any real argument.

Someone looking for a gaming machine in 2019 is going to be at least playing some new games - the OP himself said "I want to play some newer games". If I'm giving advice to someone I assume they'll be at least playing some new AAA games - whether that's Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Apex Legends, Fallout 76, Far Cry or whatever configuration of new, popular titles in which the 2600X trashes the 2500K at 1080p, especially on a 144hz monitor.

No matter what way you try to frame it, equating a 2500K to a 2600X or suggesting the 3600X will "likely" be an upgrade is totally wrong. It's a titanic upgrade.

If the OP had said "all I play is FIFA and Overwatch" then obviously an OC'd 2500K is fine, but as a broad thing, it's really not. As I've said before, something like Battlefield 1 or 5 (from 2016 and 2018 respectively) are actually unplayable on a 2500K. There are people with vastly superior 6600K's at 4.5Ghz that struggle with the game dipping into 40's due to 100% CPU usage.

An OC'd 2500K cannot even hold close to a stable 50fps in those games in multiplayer, with mins of 20fps as the CPU is just overwhelmed.

Even Dice said the 2500K wasn't even able to meet minimum requirements, due to IPC improvement i5-6600 was given as minimum and even then the forums were full of people who found the game difficult on 6th and 7th gen i5 due to 100% CPU usage.

Most other AAA games since then don't just run better on 2600X, they run astronomically better, and this in particular makes a major difference at 144hz.

The superior IPC of Intel is relevant when comparing modern Intel processors. Not a 4-core i5 from 2011. The FX line are the same in a sense. They have the cores but the IPC is so bad that can't compensate either. Ryzen hex-core are the perfect "budget" mix of cores/IPC, new 3600X will perfect that. Obviously a 9600K has less threads but is better right now in most games due to the IPC. So Intel being better is still relevant argument.

Just not with an old i5 from 2011. Ask anyone who actually went from 2500K to 2600X. It's night and day, at 1080p, 1440p, or even 4K (due to way higher minimum frames). At 144hz it's a no brainer with a 2600 costing just £120 right now.

Last edited:
Associate
Notwithstanding I don't think he needs Ryzen, but an upgrade to a 3770K with an OC would work wonders. That would be far closer to Ryzen 2600X though still broadly slower.

Even a 2600K with a decent OC would be a major improvement, those extra threads just make an enormous difference the last few years. I already said this in a post initially, so it's not just about pushing Ryzen.

Just being realistic. His budget would support a 3770 + new GTX1660. If you count it the resale value of 2500K + GTX780, could stretch to GTX1660Ti.

Associate
OP
hey all,

Had assumed this thread had quietly put itself to sleep, apologies for not updating.

I chanced upon a cheapish gtx 1660 ti on the famous auction site so impulse bidded not really expecting to win, cost to swap was somewhere in the region of 150 plus change after selling the 780.
My newer monitor is back in its box waiting for the house move, so havent had much of a chance to see what it can do.

@Terrorfirmer - I havent ruled out a 3770k - but they still look to be fetching over 100 notes, with the 2500k bringing in much less.

@Terrorfirmer - how do you find the meshify btw? stuck between one of those or a nzxt 500 / 510 refresh.

@orbitalwalsh - with (a flexible) 150 left in the kitty I'll be keeping half an eye for x470/b450 bargains to go with a 3600 from the bay or Rainforest transformer day.

Soldato
I'll be keeping half an eye for x470/b450 bargains to go with a 3600 from the bay or Rainforest transformer day.
The 3600 is looking to be the pick of the bunch for 'gaming-bargain' - that coupled with your new GPU will be a big bump in performance for relatively little outlay.

Associate
OP
The 3600 is looking to be the pick of the bunch for 'gaming-bargain' - that coupled with your new GPU will be a big bump in performance for relatively little outlay.

hopefully :)

time to go and educate myself on b450 vs x470. Any thoughts? and or boards to look out for - both good or bad.

Soldato
hopefully :)

time to go and educate myself on b450 vs x470. Any thoughts? and or boards to look out for - both good or bad.
If you're sticking around the 3600-3800X the the MSI b450s - Tomahawk or Pro Carbon if you need WiFi - are a solid choice coupled with 3200MHz memory.

E.g.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Back
Top Bottom