Upgrade advice

Soldato
Hey guys due an upgrade

I need CPU, RAM, GPU, MOBO

I have a really nice case, 1tb SSD, 250gb ssd no M2 drive though? I’ve got a PSU and I’ve got a water loop for the CPU but I reckon I’m due an upgrade with that!

Am I missing anything? budget say 2000?

Thanks guys

Soldato
Could we not Intel and 1080ti? Also whats a thread ripper?

You've made my night with that comment :D (and not taking the michael)
By thread ripper , they mean AMD flagship consumer platform , armed with 12 to 16 cores with double the thread count . Great if you want a workstation for CPU rendering or photo editing or 4K encoding . Gaming not so much

What's your current system though ?
If you say you have a 4th gen i7 K CPU you'd most likely be advised to keep it and up the GPU to best you can get, maybe using funds that could have gone on a mobo/CPU/ram for a very nice G-sync screen etc etc

Soldato
OP
You've made my night with that comment :D (and not taking the michael)
By thread ripper , they mean AMD flagship consumer platform , armed with 12 to 16 cores with double the thread count . Great if you want a workstation for CPU rendering or photo editing or 4K encoding . Gaming not so much

What's your current system though ?
If you say you have a 4th gen i7 K CPU you'd most likely be advised to keep it and up the GPU to best you can get, maybe using funds that could have gone on a mobo/CPU/ram for a very nice G-sync screen etc etc

No im on old tech like really old ive got a 680gtx, and a i5-4670k

Soldato
Even save cash and drive with a gtx 1080, as I'm guessing there 1080p ?
Gtx 1080 is a nice card for ultra wide 1080p screens so should do well with your two screens , or gtx 1070ti .
Gtx 1080ti is just eye watering in price

Soldato
OP
While a new GPU will work wonders, your CPU is just fine. Maybe upgrade to a 4790K. There's the possibility of new Nvidia GPUs shortly.

So what do you ultimately recommend?

This computer runs a lot of stuff, ive just got to lower res on certain games so im stuck on what to do, the cheaper option the better!

Permabanned

This computer runs a lot of stuff, ive just got to lower res on certain games so im stuck on what to do, the cheaper option the better!

If the computer runs a lot of stuff and you really can afford spending a serious amount of money, go for the 16-core/32-thread AMD Ryzen 1950X.

Soldato

If you want new then either an i7 8700K or a Ryzen R7 1700 would both be good options. The i7 is the faster cpu for gaming, but the R7 1700 has extra cpu cores/threads.

The other option as mentioned above would be to go 2nd hand as a stop gap. Maybe keep your eye open for an i7 4770K or 4790K in the members market.

The issue with you lowering the resolution is with the gpu. A GTX 1070 or above would be a nice upgrade. Again you might find a few in the members market as current prices are a bit crazy due to the crypto mining craze.

Soldato
OP
When your in full design work .oxe with max applications open, take a look at task manager and see how much load the cores are under as well as ram usage .

It’s normally vector based work so uses little processing it’s when I’m designing artwork in photoshop which is the heavy usage

Soldato
photoshop still favours Intel over AMD - guessing ram limit with almost max with intense photoshop work ?

i7 8700 could be a good buy for yourself, almost £100 cheaper then K version - will boost to 4.3ghz on all six cores!

6 cores and 12 threads vs your 4/4

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £629.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

the £100 or so could be put towards 32GB of ram :D
seems a scratch disk could also boost performance - maybe that could be used as an NVMe drive for pure speed!

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £672.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom