• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade Advice

Associate
I've currently got a i5 2500K, Z68XP-UD3 Mobo, 8GB RAM, RX 470 4GB, and Dell S2417DG Monitor, and I've got some cash to spend to upgrade my graphics card. Budget probably ~£200. I game on/off over the years so very casual but like to keep up with recommended specs.

I was initially thinking of doubling up and going cross fire but after some research it didn't seem like this was always supported, at least not in the new COD MW.

My main question was around whether its worth taking advantage of the g-sync tech in the monitor and buying something compatible? Would this upgrade be supported by my cpu/mobo? I think they are about 6 years old now from memory.

If so - recommendations for cards for the budget?

Thanks!

Soldato
I think most things.these days would be bottlenecked by the CPU but for £200 the 1660 super seems to be the best price/performance from my investigation.

Soldato
Just overclock the 2500k no need to update it especially if budget is tight. I wouldnt worry about bottleneck. Spend the cash buy the 1660 super and enjoy a faster gaming experience. Its all very well being told to upgrade your CPU but then not everyone has the cash and the question was what would £200 get me for a GPU. £200 is not going to get you a new CPU, a new motherboard and RAM!

Soldato
Yeah but then when you upgrade you CPU you won't need to upgrade you GPU again. Always buy the best you can get with your money. Bottleneck or now.

Well ill be jumping on ryzen in the new year so i'll see huge gains. I was just very lucky to get the GPU for free so while its bottlenecked its not like im losing out really

Soldato
Well ill be jumping on ryzen in the new year so i'll see huge gains. I was just very lucky to get the GPU for free so while its bottlenecked its not like im losing out really
Exactly. When I upgrade I'm going for a 5700 but only have a 4670k so I'm going to have a bottleneck too. But when I go Ryzen I won't need another GPU upgrade

Associate
OP
have o/c'd before and it didn't last long between crashes, probably went a bit ott but either way I get the picture :)

I might actually do a system upgrade seeing as its been 6/7 years now - I have budget but I barely play so its not exactly great ROI. On the flipside it might encourage me to play some more..

Back
Top Bottom