• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade Advice

Associate
Hullo!

I'm currently running an i5-4690K (4 cores, 4 threads) in an H97-HD3 (socket LGA 1150), with 12 Gb of DDR3 across 4 sticks. Graphics card is a Geforce GTX 970. I've been running this for a few years without major problems, but it's just starting to creak on the newer games, especially at 1440 resolutions, which is native for my monitor.

After some advice - what's likely to give the biggest performance boost for gaming? Newer graphics card, or new mobo/cpu (and presumably memory?). Looking to minimise the spend (and time upgrading/reinstalling) if possible. In essence, is it time to retire the mobo/cpu/memory yet?

Cheers in advance!

Soldato
If you play only older games made in four cores is high end Intel stagnation or lighter games, then GPU.
In newer heavier games by todays standards really low end 4c/4t CPU is bottleneck if you upgrade GPU.

For example Assassin's Creed Odyssey already scales past 8 cores.
And next-gen consoles bringing slightly underclocked variant of 8c/16t Ryzen 3700X will certainly start core demand increase in multiplatter games.

Associate
My second rig has a 4670k @ 4.5 ghz and I recently upgraded the GPU to a GTX 1650S (comprarable to a GTX 980 non TI) from an old HD 7850 and although only 4GB it's actually quite fast (for what is is) @ 1080p res it's a huge gaming boost for games that are slightly older. I would say you could get a nice new GPU now and simply move it over to a new build later on that way you could substantially improve gaming now - although with bottleneck in some situations and in some games until you finally upgrade to a new CPU/mobo/DDR4 unit.

Associate
Definitely a GPU upgrade should be top on the list.

Other than that, regarding your question on whether its time to retire your setup? Well you got two options:

1. The quick and easy option; which would be to keep it as is and be on the lookout for a cheap i7 4790/4770. 8-threaded Haswell parts still have some life left, especially with the newer games and consoles on the horizon that would likely benefit from the increased thread count. However, finding a cheap i7 4790/4770 is easier said than done and given its price/time/effort involved, you might as well just go for...

2. The more time-consuming option; which would be to sell your existing setup and, depending on how much you wanna spend, upgrade to the latest AMD/Intel part whichever you fancy.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, some great advice there. Looks like a new GPU for now, before gutting the thing in about 12 months. Much appreciated!

Associate
It does really depend on the games. In some newer ones, the i5 will cripple performance. You really need the new CPU platform and GPU combo.

Stuff like COD or Apex - struggle on with the i5 and new GPU.

Stuff like Assassins Creed/new Battlefield - I'd genuinely prefer a Ryzen 3600 + GTX970 over an i5-4th gen + whatever. At least you can always play at low settings with the 970 for high framerate (and games these days at low still look pretty good)

Back
Top Bottom