Upgrade Advice

Associate
Most games on my system run smooth but I have been trying to play GTA 5 recently and get some bad stuttering. I have been playing around with settings but I can't seem to fix it. My Motherboard, CPU and RAM are all around 6 years old now and the PSU maybe around 9 years old now. My latest updates over the last 2 years was the GPU, M.2, Case and CPU Cooler. I was looking for people thoughts on the upgrade choices I'm looking at.

Current Build
CPU - I5 6600k
Cooler - MSI 240R
MB - Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2400
GPU - MSI GTX 1660 SUPER
SSD's - 1tb Sabrent M.2, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO
HDD - 1tb Western Digital, 500gb Seagate
Case - MSI MAG Forge 100R
PSU - 650W Corsair

Potential Upgrades
CPU - Ryzen 9 5900x
MB - MSI X570 tomahawk or MSI B550 tomahawk
RAM - 32gb Corsair Vengeance 3600
PSU - Corsair RM850

Your system is not terrible and works ok so jumping to another ok system like joxeon suggests is just a half step.Joxeons suggestions are great value for sure but if you are upgrading now go to the best or wait for the next gen imo.

CPU - 5800x vs 5900x ? Both great so not a problem. Currently no real difference to them in games, future is unknown.

MB- Both good , for your build go with X570 for the extra features. You keep systems a long time so you will most likely make use of them.

RAM - Going for the Corsair modules for the looks ? If performance and value are more important there are better choices that are cheaper with better timings. I totally understand if its is for aestetics.

PSU- Not a bad PSU by any means but the Corsair RMx range is the newer platform and better. Other options are Seasonic Prime if you want the best ( my personal opinion and much more expensive) or Phanteks AMP range that are Seasonic OEM and v good value for the quality they are. You kept your previous PSU for a good long time so you understand buying quality in this area is important. If your Corsair 650w psu is a HX650w then it is most likely a CWT unit for its age. I had an original Corsair HX650w that was a Seasonic OEM unit that quietly died after about that length of time so yours has done its time and you got your monies worth from it. May work for another 10 years but no way to be certain when it will fail.

You will see a difference in system performance but until you upgrade the GPU you will not see a massive difference in games,it may help with the stuttering but no way to be certain.

I'd go for something like this which should fix any stuttering while also being cheap especially if you sell your current MB + CPU.

Try overclock your ram to 3000mhz + before replacing it

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £210.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)
Thanks for sourcing the cheaper options mate

Your system is not terrible and works ok so jumping to another ok system like joxeon suggests is just a half step.Joxeons suggestions are great value for sure but if you are upgrading now go to the best or wait for the next gen imo.

CPU - 5800x vs 5900x ? Both great so not a problem. Currently no real difference to them in games, future is unknown.

MB- Both good , for your build go with X570 for the extra features. You keep systems a long time so you will most likely make use of them.

RAM - Going for the Corsair modules for the looks ? If performance and value are more important there are better choices that are cheaper with better timings. I totally understand if its is for aestetics.

PSU- Not a bad PSU by any means but the Corsair RMx range is the newer platform and better. Other options are Seasonic Prime if you want the best ( my personal opinion and much more expensive) or Phanteks AMP range that are Seasonic OEM and v good value for the quality they are. You kept your previous PSU for a good long time so you understand buying quality in this area is important. If your Corsair 650w psu is a HX650w then it is most likely a CWT unit for its age. I had an original Corsair HX650w that was a Seasonic OEM unit that quietly died after about that length of time so yours has done its time and you got your monies worth from it. May work for another 10 years but no way to be certain when it will fail.

You will see a difference in system performance but until you upgrade the GPU you will not see a massive difference in games,it may help with the stuttering but no way to be certain.
Yes I was thinking get the higher end components for them to be more future proof. With the RAM corsair is the only trusted company I know if you have any other company names I'm open to hear. Thanks for the detailed advice

When next years budget 6 core will beat today's 16 core flagship in gaming you're better off spending less and upgrading more often if you want a more future proofed system.

Next years 6 core isn’t going to today’s 16 core. Probably 5 years is unlikely.

Yes the benchmarks show 5600x will outperform 3950x in fps but what about running multiple programmes at once?
Well obviously it won't run multiple programmes simultaneously as well but the OP was interested in gaming performance not productivity.

That said the 5600X almost matches a 3700X in productivity so I'd imagine in 3 years time the new 6 core would on the heels of a 5900X while also being considerably faster in gaming.

Last edited:
With the motherboard the x570 tomahawk I only find a WIFI version which I don't really need so would the better option for me be the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

No chance. Games scale to 16 cores now. Intel and AMD will drive that to ever increasing numbers.
The 5600X looks faster than a 3950X to me while the 3600 is also faster than the previous generation 2700X flagship so it stands to reason the 6600X will also be faster than a 5950X.

Screenshot-125.png

With the motherboard the x570 tomahawk I only find a WIFI version which I don't really need so would the better option for me be the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

The tomahawk is by far the best X570 priced under £200 so I'd still consider it even if you dont need the WIFI but unless your planning on running 2 Gen 4.0 NVMEs then a B550 is really all you need with the B550 tomahawk at just £120 being hard to beat.

What GPU are you planning on getting?

Last edited:
The 5600X looks faster than a 3950X to me while the 3600 is also faster than the previous generation 2700X flagship so it stands to reason the 6600X will also be faster than a 5950X.

Screenshot-125.png

The tomahawk is by far the best X570 priced under £200 so I'd still consider it even if you dont need the WIFI but unless your planning on running 2 Gen 4.0 NVMEs then a B550 is really all you need with the B550 tomahawk at just £120 being hard to beat.

What you’re saying is fundamentally wrong.

I seen the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus for £130 would that be a better motherboard than the B550 Tomahawk?

I'll probably stick with my GTX 1660 SUPER for now as I only picked that up just over a year ago now but that will be the next upgrade I make.

I seen the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus for £130 would that be a better motherboard than the B550 Tomahawk?

I'll probably stick with my GTX 1660 SUPER for now as I only picked that up just over a year ago now but that will be the next upgrade I make.
The X570 gaming plus has a poor VRM so I wouldn't fancy sticking a 12 core in there.

What you’re saying is fundamentally wrong.

Clearly not as I backed it up with gaming performance data showing that the 6 core chip from a new generation beats the previous flagship and I'd put money on the same thing happening again when Zen 4 releases next year.

The X570 gaming plus has a poor VRM so I wouldn't fancy sticking a 12 core in there.

Clearly not as I backed it up with gaming performance data showing that the 6 core chip from a new generation beats the previous flagship and I'd put money on the same thing happening again when Zen 4 releases next year.

It’s one slide from a game that is heavily reliant on the GPU and API. How much money would you like to bet? Don’t back out of this one like you did last time.

It’s one slide from a game that is heavily reliant on the GPU and API. How much money would you like to bet? Don’t back out of this one like you did last time.
It's actually an average of all the 11 games tested not just a single game.

How about we bet a 6600X or w/e AMD calls the next 6 core, I was planning to wait for Zen5 to upgrade but I'm happy to go for Zen 4 at your expense :p

Last edited:
X570 Tomahawk is really only good MSI X570 board.
Other MSI X570 boards have basically garbage VRM for the price.
(copypasted from £100 B450 boards)

Or then drop to B550.
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard= £119.99

Because of serial nature in lots of core code, performance of games will always have major dependancy to single core performance setting ultimate fps limit.

Right guys as iv been talking about upgrading my computer has run into some problems where I get no display. I can order all the parts I wanted to upgrade to in a weeks time but if I downgraded the 5900x to a 5800x I could order it all right now and save over £100

Back
Top Bottom