Upgrade Advise

Associate
I have a rig at least 6 years old (I72600) and looking to upgrade. Can anyone advise on the parts I'm looking at:

Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

Stock Code CP-63R-IN

Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Stock Code MB-6AL-AS

Team Group Xtreem "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-32000C18 4000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Stock Code MY-098-TG

Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

Stock Code HD-22H-SA

Last upgrade was for a Gainward 1080 GLH Nvida card and Acer 144hz gsync screen so the barebones are now the systems bottleneck. I'll also need a CPU cooler and want to look at water cooling but would have to fit into my Antec 902 case.

Anyone have advise on these components and a cooler that would fit?

Antec 902
think you'll need a new case lol.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,086.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

cheaper board, just as good without paying the asus tax (oos currently though)
cheaper and better nvme ssd. 960 is last gen. 970 is current gen. and cheaper too!

Cool, do you still have to do something in the bios to allow boot from m.2?

Also what explicitly would I be looking for in a case to support the water cooler?

Cool, do you still have to do something in the bios to allow boot from m.2?
All new boards should boot natively from m.2

Also what explicitly would I be looking for in a case to support the water cooler?
Should be able to mount 120/140mm fans X2/3 side by side. That lian-li case I specced is designed in conjunction with de8auer. And is reasonably priced too.

I've gone for the cheaper B360 (full coffeelake 10nm Chipset ) and larger standard SSD .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £879.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Wait for refresh z370 or if they roll with 390 boards , of you can wait 7 weeksif I can recall

Thanks guys, would the alphacool water cooler and the air coolers have the component gel attached already or would i need to get that separately?

Would you mount the watercooling fans at the back of the case?

Alphacool supply their own paste, 7kwm If I can recall (or got the unit name right) , stuff like thermal girrly is higher at 11+

It's not reapplied so would personally pay £5 for thermal grizzly non metal on an i7 8700k chip !

The case looks pretty good, but I'll need to bring my DVD RW across and looking at reviews I'll probably need to get some extra intake fans to get a good airflow going. Any other recommendations that are good for water cooling? I'm guessing the water cooler fan would exhaust probably out the top and there would be intake fans near the front.

So the water cooler fans would end up exhausting air at the 3 fan bays at the front/side, and perhaps could do with an intake fan at the back/bottom of the case to ensure a flow going on?

depends on your personal tastes and wanting performance .

Negative pressure gives best result but allows a lot of dust to build up in the system- most of it will come through the unfiltered back panel with the slits above the caseking logo. Positive cuts down on dust build up but filters will be need to be cleaned often rather then the whole case.

As always, cool air over rads will give 1-4c better results depending on a ton of factors .

most out stick the 360 CLC/AIO up top as exhaust and 3 fans at the bottom as intact with a faster RPM/flow rate to give slightly better positive pressure - but you'd have that side cut out exposed and looks naff.

Next would be to have intake at the bottom , and AIO at the side - either as intake or exhaust. Have the fans exhaust and on show looks the nicest but wouldn't give the lowest possible temps . Having the fans on show but pulling air through the rad and the back chamber would pull in cold air but not look the best .

Personally, would have intake fans at bottom. Rad mounted to the side in the main chamber but fans mounted to the PSU chamber - hidden and pushing cold air from the back grill through the rad and warm air into the case to naturally leave via the top of the case

Back
Top Bottom