Upgrade already!

Associate
Hi all,

So, it seems like I am going to have to upgrade already.

MyPCBuild-001.jpg

So, all good, but it turns out the 4650 does not have support for 2 DVI's, so I have one monitor running at 1920x1080, and the other on vga at 1024x768.

Can I just whack in another 4650, and run it like that? Do I have to have cross-fire, and will those cards even support it? I am not looking for high-performance gaming, just want to run both monitors at 1920x1080.

thanks

Associate
OP
I already have one 4650 - when I reviewed it, I was led to believe it supported 2 DVI's (see images, and reviews at the XFX site), but that turns out not to be true.

so I already have the one, and want to know if I can just get another for £45 or so, to get to where I want to be...

Thanks for the quick response, btw!!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ahh I see, sry didnt quite read post properly
Having looked properly now, as far as I can tell you SHOULD be able to run 2 monitors off it??? Does it not have dual DVI output? As shown in the pic and description on OcUKs site?

Associate
OP
Exactly what I thoguht, but no. the responses I've had from OC support staff inidcate that "It would appear, that they have been under the impression that you could've used a VGA > DVI converter, however I'm aware this degrades the quality of the video transmission and can somewhat be offputting, however with that graphics card it's the only way around it."

Basically, it only supports 1 DVI, and the photo isn't necessarily representative. The card I received only has 1 RED DVI connector, and then a black VGA connector, not the 2 DVI connectors

Associate
Ive got an XFX 4650 1024MB and its got 2 DVI ports, looks exactly like it does in the picture. Anyways, if you add another one, you dont need to crossfire it. I'm not even sure its crossfire able. Or maybe i just dont know what the crossfire pins look like, i cant seem to find it on mine

Back
Top Bottom